Post-apocaliptic games: what about plot? Watch

Karen's_cares
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Have you ever played games about post-apocalypse? They usually have the same genre (shooter), same story (find-bring-kill-survive) and the same atmosphere (gloomy).
Is it normal for them or you'd like to change the tendency?
Name your favorite game and say why do you like it!
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well that's basically what post apocalypse is I suppose, total breakdown of society with a return to barter system and banditry with little individual hope beyond immediate survival. Makes for a nice cleanish slate for storytelling as well.

My fave is prob the obvious Fallout 3 & 4, IMO hit a v good balance between rich varied background story & detail while still leaving the place mostly desolate and leaving it up to you to find your own point to it.

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R games were good too, if a bit more straight laced and grim, novelty USSR apocalypse.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Karen's_cares)
Have you ever played games about post-apocalypse? They usually have the same genre (shooter), same story (find-bring-kill-survive) and the same atmosphere (gloomy).
Is it normal for them or you'd like to change the tendency?
Name your favorite game and say why do you like it!
Post-apocalyptic fiction is pretty much defined by lawlessness and fighting to surivive, there's only so far you can deviate from that formula.

Far Cry: New Dawn looks like it's going to take a "lighter" approach to the subject matter though.

Guru Jason
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you want a pure story, no fps, driven game then Telltale/Skybounds the walking dead game series. For me Clementine is one of the best female written character in game history.
Picnicl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Half Life 2 and Bioshock are great examples of post-apocalyptic type games. Where the apocalypse is more within a tight, carefully level-designed, series of environments that are more like elaborate, sometimes surreal, ghost trains than the craft/hide/zombie/wasteland kind.
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Fist of the North Star is post-apocalyptic and none of those things.

Genre = Action-RPG beat-em-up. Same gameplay as Yakuza.

Story = Martial Arts flick

Atmosphere = Like Yakuza but more gore. So serious in the main story, bat **** wacky and hilarious outside the main story.

Karen's_cares
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ozzyoscy)
Fist of the North Star is post-apocalyptic and none of those things.

Genre = Action-RPG beat-em-up. Same gameplay as Yakuza.

Story = Martial Arts flick

Atmosphere = Like Yakuza but more gore. So serious in the main story, bat **** wacky and hilarious outside the main story.

Wow, totally different from all about post-apocalypse I've played before. I think I've already read manga some years before, so it's time to try the game.
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
All together now: Fallout 76 bad.

Best post-apocalyptic game was Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, because no game is not improved by the addition of rave dinosaurs
Decahedron
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would say DOOM (2016) techinically falls into post apocalype, great game and amazing soundtrack.
In the same catergory you could include Wolfenstein is you think Nazis taking over the world (and the moon) is like an apocalypse.
Kroznox
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't really play any post-apocalyptic games, but I do play Battlefield V whenever I have free time on my hands. Tbh, I'd really recommend BF V for those who are looking for a new game to explore. It can feel a bit buggy and probably a bit frustrtaing at first, but with time, comes skill and a newfound sense of enjoyment. In case you were wondering ,team mates don't really communicate, so you probably won't need a mic.
pandoma
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The Last of Us is absolutely amazing
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The Tex Murphy franchise brings point-and-click adventure and hardboiled detective noir to a post-apocalyptic 21st Century setting. They fit together surprisingly well! The Pandora Directive is my favourite of the two I've played; Under a Killing Moon is good, but is shorter and has less variation in gameplay (owing to it being the older of the two).
quasa
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Resistance franchise by Insomniac Games (original devs of Spyro, devs of Ratchet and clank + the new Spidey game)

dead rising maybe.

Saints Row 4 definitely (with a shoutout to a part of the 3rd game involving skydiving in a Tank!)
Karen's_cares
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by pandoma)
The Last of Us is absolutely amazing
Agree, but also a bit gloomy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (14)
5.96%
No (221)
94.04%

Watched Threads