UnexpectedShark
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

It's come to my attention recently that being 20 years old, and on my 2nd year of my apprenticeship, I'm likely due a pay rise to atleast whatever the current national minimum wage is. Every source I've looked at has told me the same. If anyone can correct me here, that'd be great- but until then, I'm trying to send an e-mail to my MD.

Edit: as an FYI I already know I'm not being paid that minimum wage. I believe it's somewhere in the region of £12,000 and I'm on £8,800 s:

My apprenticeship finishes in April, they're more than likely to take me on... But I've never asked for a payrise before. And I'm worried that me asking this, despite it being a legal thing, will come across as nagging. Can someone help me out with wording this at all? More or less just thinking of 'I've been informed that apprentice's wage chances when they're 20 and in their 2nd year, could you look into it?'

Thank youuuu
emilyshrimp
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You should have started being paid the minimum wage for your age (which is currently £5.90 per hour for 18-20 year old, this goes up in April I think) from the day you started the second year of your apprenticeship - if they didn't then they have paid you less than minimum wage which is illegal. Don't worry about sounding like you're nagging, you need to be paid what you deserve. Be straight forward about it, as your company should be aware of minimum rates.

Hope you get it sorted! Best wishes
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UnexpectedShark)
Hi,

It's come to my attention recently that being 20 years old, and on my 2nd year of my apprenticeship, I'm likely due a pay rise to atleast whatever the current national minimum wage is. Every source I've looked at has told me the same. If anyone can correct me here, that'd be great- but until then, I'm trying to send an e-mail to my MD.

Edit: as an FYI I already know I'm not being paid that minimum wage. I believe it's somewhere in the region of £12,000 and I'm on £8,800 s:

My apprenticeship finishes in April, they're more than likely to take me on... But I've never asked for a payrise before. And I'm worried that me asking this, despite it being a legal thing, will come across as nagging. Can someone help me out with wording this at all? More or less just thinking of 'I've been informed that apprentice's wage chances when they're 20 and in their 2nd year, could you look into it?'

Thank youuuu
Hi there,

Just to echo the other reply you have received...

By law you should be paid the national minimum wage for your age in the 2nd year of your apprenticeship if it is with the same employer as you were with in your 1st year.

When emailing about this I would think about providing a point of reference to back up what you're saying and you could use the following link - https://www.gov.uk/apprenticeships-g...and-conditions

If you want advice on how to word this I would recommend contacting a service such as ACAS who offer free and confidential employment advice - http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461

I hope you get this resolved, we're always around on TSR should you need further support.

Thanks - Sophie.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (114)
13.85%
I'm not sure (36)
4.37%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (249)
30.26%
I have already dropped out (21)
2.55%
I'm not a current university student (403)
48.97%

Watched Threads