Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain? Watch

Poll: Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Remain (1679)
78.75%
Leave (453)
21.25%
That'sGreat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don’t really know the reason behind this poll. Most of the users are still in secondary school or doing A levels, Remain is always going to win. On top of that, let’s not forget TSR is mad elf a very specific group of students who focus more on studies than real life experiences.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by That'sGreat)
Don’t really know the reason behind this poll. Most of the users are still in secondary school or doing A levels, Remain is always going to win. On top of that, let’s not forget TSR is mad elf a very specific group of students who focus more on studies than real life experiences.
Exactly but dont you ever stop to think why?
Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Like someone said further up they should honour the first one, I voted leave anyway and I wouldn't change my mind.
anythinggoeshe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I voted leave and would vote leave again. In fact I don't know a single person who voted leave who would now vote remain.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
80-20 on a student forum..... who could have guessed!

Like someone else said it would have been better if the poll was have you changed your mind Yes/No
TommyDH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by paul514)

Like someone else said it would have been better if the poll was have you changed your mind Yes/No
It truly frightens me how so many young people hate Democracy.

We are going to see a new Hitler and Stalin in our lifetime, that's for sure.
Frazzles
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
On the basis that I was 17 at the time at the vote, and I got the opportunity to vote on the EU referendum, I would have voted Remain.

That being said, we are bound by democracy to honour the leave vote, as much as I hate it and don't want to have this occur. If we don't, god knows what will happen.
That'sGreat
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Exactly but dont you ever stop to think why?
Because the education system is dominated by Remain and Labour supporters. Students are taught to listen and are given a narrow minded opinion which sees them adopt the same opinion. It’s only those with life experiences, an above average interest in politics or external sources of information such as parents or friends who will see the issues surrounding the EU. Considering the makeup of TSR is students who focus more on their studies than life experiences, Remain will always dominant. This is the same for the majority of students as well tbh.
HydrusNexdra
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Absolutely remain. Brexit as a concept was thought up by people desperately seeking power with no real plan on how to realise their vision. We shouldn't honour the 'democratic' process if the country will end up negatively affected by it.

I voted remain as their is no clear idea on what direction Britain will be in after leaving the EU and any idea is simply guess-work and this is obvious after two years of thinking, their is still no concrete plan in mind.

Britain should not be forced into darkness because of a poorly constructed campaign of lies. A second referendum should follow to see if people still believe (with the truth we now have) that Britain should leave the EU.
Sentenced_to
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Trinculo)
Leave. They hate us. Why should we stay?
Name:  really dog.png
Views: 6
Size:  154.1 KB
nikkinikki96
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Leave
MrDystopia
  • Section Leader
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Voted remain in 2016. Nothing has shown me that leaving would be a success, and there has been no new information powerful enough to dissuade my viewpoint.

Thus, I would vote Remain again.
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by That'sGreat)
Because the education system is dominated by Remain and Labour supporters. Students are taught to listen and are given a narrow minded opinion which sees them adopt the same opinion. It’s only those with life experiences, an above average interest in politics or external sources of information such as parents or friends who will see the issues surrounding the EU. Considering the makeup of TSR is students who focus more on their studies than life experiences, Remain will always dominant. This is the same for the majority of students as well tbh.
Yh, I see this with my Geography teacher. She said ppl who voted leave are either dumb or racist, ppl who vote Tories are dumb or rich, etc. Same with my English teacher. Don't know about the rest of the teaching profession though. She said we should thing "for ourselves" even though she presents her opinions as facts!😂
ColinDent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by paul514)

Then you'd just get a whole bunch of remainers saying that they voted to leave but have changed their minds
nexttime
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'll go one step further: no new referendum, just cancel Brexit.

We don't hold referenda on health policy. We don't hold referenda on defence policy. Its too complicated to try to distil such complicated issues into a single question.

We hold general elections but those are temporary, overhauled every 5 years.

So why did we do it for Brexit. One reason: Cameron felt he was sure to win. No one in their right mind would ever have held an in-out referenda on such an important, such a complicated relationship if they actually thought there was a chance of losing!

Cancel Brexit. Referenda should be for simple questions with clear subsequent lines of action only.
That'sGreat
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
Yh, I see this with my Geography teacher. She said ppl who voted leave are either dumb or racist, ppl who vote Tories are dumb or rich, etc. Same with my English teacher. Don't know about the rest of the teaching profession though. She said we should thing "for ourselves" even though she presents her opinions as facts!😂
There’s a reason someone becomes a geography teacher, and it isn’t because they’re necessarily smart...
FlyingFoxes
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Would vote leave.

EU now has a negative opinion of the UK - so avoiding Brexit at this stage would make the UK look like an indecisive laughing stock to the rest of the world.

Couple this with the arguably destructive ideology that the 'people voted wrong and need to be able to vote again to make the correct decision'. It's depressing that politics is so utterly broken that the idea of democracy has collapsed to the stage where a majority vote is taken as being 'incorrect'.
Ambitious1999
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by random_matt)
And you asked this on a student forum where the majority are youngsters. We already know that the young mostly voted remain.
Not so sure. Back in 2016 I was pro-remain and dared to come on this forum and criticise Brexit and the abuse I got was phenomenal. My thread said something like “young people have a lot to lose with Brexit”
Several of the replies I got had to be removed by moderators for bad language swearing etc. Out of about 30 replies (several of which were removed) not any person on TSR supported my statement. I’m not sure if anything has changed. But there does seem to be a very large number of hardcore Brexit supporters on here.

For a short while around 2018 I supported Brexit but now I’m back to supporting remain and yes I know that will upset some people on here, but if there is another referendum, I will be able to vote this time and I will vote remain. Not out of spite but because that’s what I believe in.
Last edited by Ambitious1999; 4 weeks ago
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yh, I see this with my Geography teacher. She said ppl who voted leave are either dumb or racist, ppl who vote Tories are dumb or rich, etc. Same with my English teacher. Don't know about the rest of the teaching profession though.
I am not surprised.

My personal experience of knowing those who entered the teaching profession are that they were overwhelmingly below average academically.
FlyingFoxes
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Your teacher is a summary of how the media and politicians are at the moment;
"Everyone who voted leave is either dumb or racist"
"You should think for yourself, but make sure you vote the 'correct way'."
It's all propoganda.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (49)
9.37%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.68%
No, but I want to start (188)
35.95%
No, I am unable to (122)
23.33%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.68%