AIR127
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
At the moment I have an offer from the three unis I've mentioned and I am waiting for St. Andrews to get back to me.

If anyone has any advice regarding making a choice between these different universities for this course specifically, please let me know.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by AIR127)
At the moment I have an offer from the three unis I've mentioned and I am waiting for St. Andrews to get back to me.

If anyone has any advice regarding making a choice between these different universities for this course specifically, please let me know.
Moved to Philosophy, religious studies and theology

Visit all of the locations. This is especially important for the universities you've listed as they are very different to each other.

Look at the modules and see which course appeals to you the most

Also consider that Scottish degrees last a year longer than English ones.
That'sGreat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

Kings is a joke and Bristol has the highest suicide rate in the country.
AIR127
Rep:
?
(Original post by That'sGreat)
Kings is a joke and Bristol has the highest suicide rate in the country.
I'd be interested to hear why you consider Kings a joke.
JudaicImposter
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Durham is ranked at 3rd in the QS Global Rankings for Theology after Harvard and Oxford. I think it would look excellent on a CV.
AIR127
Rep:
?
(Original post by JudaicImposter)
Durham is ranked at 3rd in the QS Global Rankings for Theology after Harvard and Oxford. I think it would look excellent on a CV.
That's true, but the other 3 unis I have mentioned all rank above Durham for philosophy in the QS rankings.

St. Andrews and Kings are joint 16th.

Bristol = 35th

Durham are between 51-100.

For Theology:

Durham = 3rd

St. Andrews = 24th

Kings = 25th

Bristol = 51-100

I would like to make it known that I value your opinion if this reply sounds a bit aggressive.
JudaicImposter
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
That's true, but the other 3 unis I have mentioned all rank above Durham for philosophy in the QS rankings.

St. Andrews and Kings are joint 16th.

Bristol = 35th

Durham are between 51-100.

For Theology:

Durham = 3rd

St. Andrews = 24th

Kings = 25th

Bristol = 51-100

I would like to make it known that I value your opinion if this reply sounds a bit aggressive.
There is some Philosophy of Religion covered in the single honours Theology and Religion BA. If that is not enough you could still take the single honours option and later do a 10 month Graduate Diploma in Philosophy at St Andrews. Might be advantageous to avoid mixing the two together until you are fully confident in a particular discipline. Philosophy is interesting and easy to read about but more difficult and boring to study to pass exams.
Last edited by JudaicImposter; 8 months ago
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I dunno about the rankings, but I know staff at both and they are exceptional talents.

Personally, I'd scour the syllabi rather than going off reputations. none of these are bad isntitutions, but you might be caught out by bad course content.
anikasara
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi!! I have the same offers like you but instead of St. Andrews mine is for Edinburgh! I would really recommend looking into the modules and see which suits you best / you like the most! Because I initially wanted to apply to St Andrews too but found that it focused mostly on Christianity, which I didn't really want. I also would advise you to rank each uni based on what you think is important, e.g. modules, location, length of study (esp. for Scottish unis), international ranking, national ranking, etc and see which is generally on top of your list. I'm personally thinking of firming King's but idk yet. I hope that helps!
Nihilisticb*tch
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Go on open days and do research. If you can't go on open days then go visit the cities at some point. Look at the course content for each and see which suits you best. If you're worried about the quality of the courses in terms of stats then go on which university as they have loads of useful stats such as the careers people go into and satisfaction rate etc .
AIR127
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will spend more time looking at the syllabi of each uni, and maybe later I'll update you on my new thoughts, questions and decisions.
turner.c99
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

It depends what kind of uni you want. I've got an offer to Bristol for Theology and am going to take it as Bristol is an AMAZING city with great shops, pubs, clubs and culture. It's a great student city with everything you want!

St Andrews is literally in a village, which you might want but it is very different from Bristol.

Durham is very similar to St Andrews but definitely has a bit more social stuff going on. However, if you want to be able to have a lot to do, whatever your mood, I would say Bristol is the way to go.

Good luck! XX
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads