The Student Room Group

Getting into uni for nursing as a mature student, help please. UWS

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lau2585
Thank you! I have admitted defeat with the online access course now :frown: and accepted the fact I will be going to college for a year! I’m so impatient about applying though I just want to do it now!

im keeping my fingers crossed. there has to be other routes.
i understand, have you tried to call them?
I have applied to https://www.south-lanarkshire-college.ac.uk/courses/apply/apply-now/ for the AWAP Course, it is full time though.
Reply 21
Original post by Charlenec86
im keeping my fingers crossed. there has to be other routes.
i understand, have you tried to call them?
I have applied to https://www.south-lanarkshire-college.ac.uk/courses/apply/apply-now/ for the AWAP Course, it is full time though.

Have you looked into doing your highers?
As my niece left school and applied with her highers and was successful. You might be able to do highers as distance learning or evening courses?

i am applying to Ayrshire College and it doesn’t open until March, I am waiting very impatiently. Ha.
Original post by Lau2585
As my niece left school and applied with her highers and was successful. You might be able to do highers as distance learning or evening courses?

i am applying to Ayrshire College and it doesn’t open until March, I am waiting very impatiently. Ha.

i'll aply to ayrshire college also if thats the course i need to take! might see you there! lol.
yea im looking into doing my highers online. 3 highers, maths biolgy and english all £700 each incl tests. crazy
Original post by Lau2585

Hi ,
Thank you for your enquiry .

Based on our current courses, it is likely that we will again offer Access to Nursing (SWAP)course at all three campuses .

We are currently working on the August 2019 full time courses and these should be going live on Monday 4th February.

At Ayrshire College we operate the online application system .When your course becomes available for applications all you need to do is to add your selected course to the basket and click apply.

At this stage I would advise to keep an eye on our website and follow the college on social media to ensure you receive regular updates.

Hope this helps ,kind regards

Kristina Ostojic
Student Services Administration Assistant
Ayrshire College
Ayr Campus
Reply 24
Hi Kristina.Do you know if you can apply for 2 courses?I have previously sent an email to Ayrshire college regarding the SWAP and HNC but have not had a reply.
Reply 25
i'll aply to ayrshire college also if thats the course i need to take! might see you there! lol.
yea im looking into doing my highers online. 3 highers, maths biolgy and english all £700 each incl tests. crazy

Hi.
Have you gotten any further forward?
Original post by Lau2585
Hi.
Have you gotten any further forward?

Hi Lau

Not at present, but im fortunate enough to know someone who is involved on the Scottish Education board and is arranging for me to go and speak to people to see what options are available to my personal situation. But I will keep you updated! Have you had any luck?
Reply 27
Hi Lau

Not at present, but im fortunate enough to know someone who is involved on the Scottish Education board and is arranging for me to go and speak to people to see what options are available to my personal situation. But I will keep you updated! Have you had any luck?

Oh fab!

i’m just waiting to apply for college, waiting for it opening! Fingers crossed I get in.
Hi Guys
I'm really hoping you all can help. at 32 i've decided to change my career and would love to go to uni for nursing. I don't have any qualifications from my school years to help me so I'm literally starting from scratch. That's a lie, I have a credit 2 in English, that's all!

So I emailed my local Uni's which is UWS. And it's basic info she has replied back with. Things I already know but not really answered my questions. I have replied but I'm losing time getting on with it as they take a few days to get back to me.

I need to work full time as I study, as if i get into uni (hopefully next year) I will need to sell my house to move back in with my parents for the 3yrs I'll be studying.

So my questions are (thank you for trying to help me)

these are the entry requirements (which you will all know)

3 Highers at grades BBC, plus Maths and English at National 5 level (or equivalent, i.e., standard grade credit 2)orA Higher National Certificate (HNC) in the following subjects: Health, Social Care or Care and Admin Practice, plus Maths and English at National 5 level (or equivalent, i.e., standard grade credit 2)
orSuccessful completion of Scottish Wider Access to Nursing Programme Course (SWAP) with grades BBB

I don't have any. And i cant go to college full time (as it stands but if thats my only choice then i will need to consider it)
Am i able to get the SWAP Online? Will that be good enough? Or a HNC online? Are they accepted and does anyone know if UWS accepts them.

I know some people have gotten their qualifications that way but 2k is a lot of money for a qualification if i cant then do anything with it.

Thanks so much for your help

Charlene

I’m actually 32 and trying to avoid going to college for a year because of funding too. I have an arts degree, but I want to get into nursing using that.
Some universities offer a foundation year which might be more beneficial for you since you can still secure funding and get the skills to get onto the degree you want.
Hey; I was in the same position as yourself last year unfortunately they wouldn’t accept me as it has been ten years since I left school. So I left working full time as a manager and went part time and currently undertaking the Hnc Care course as clyde college. Money has actually been better than I thought. If you’ve never been in further education your turnitin fees will be paid and be entitled to a student loan and bursary. Unfortunately I have been in before so only entitled to student loan which actually boosts my earnings to the same as I had as a manager.
Reply 30
Original post by Superviicky
Hey; I was in the same position as yourself last year unfortunately they wouldn’t accept me as it has been ten years since I left school. So I left working full time as a manager and went part time and currently undertaking the Hnc Care course as clyde college. Money has actually been better than I thought. If you’ve never been in further education your turnitin fees will be paid and be entitled to a student loan and bursary. Unfortunately I have been in before so only entitled to student loan which actually boosts my earnings to the same as I had as a manager.

Hey! Thanks for your reply.
I was a retail manager before I left to become a nursing assistant with the NHS, I was looking at the HNC course but I don’t have the entry requirements for that either, it does say about experience etc... so I’m hoping they consider me. Did you have to get experience etc before getting into your HNC?
i have seen you can do the NC but this adds another year of studying on.
Original post by Lau2585
Hey! Thanks for your reply.
I was a retail manager before I left to become a nursing assistant with the NHS, I was looking at the HNC course but I don’t have the entry requirements for that either, it does say about experience etc... so I’m hoping they consider me. Did you have to get experience etc before getting into your HNC?
i have seen you can do the NC but this adds another year of studying on.

I had no relevant care experience but they accepted me due to life experience the same as a few others within my course. I’d apply as soon as the courses fill up pretty fast. They will ask for a short statement of why you believe that you would be suitable for the course and just put in about health and safety and your job with what your expected to do like leading the team by example. Also if you’ve got first aid experience pop that in as well just don’t put ‘nursing is a challenging and demanding career’ that’s the most used sentence ever lol. Fingers crossed for you. I’m currently on placement at the moment on break hence the 3am reply ✌🏼
Reply 32
Original post by Superviicky
I had no relevant care experience but they accepted me due to life experience the same as a few others within my course. I’d apply as soon as the courses fill up pretty fast. They will ask for a short statement of why you believe that you would be suitable for the course and just put in about health and safety and your job with what your expected to do like leading the team by example. Also if you’ve got first aid experience pop that in as well just don’t put ‘nursing is a challenging and demanding career’ that’s the most used sentence ever lol. Fingers crossed for you. I’m currently on placement at the moment on break hence the 3am reply ✌🏼

Thank you! That is a bit of a relief to know they consider life experience.
I am hoping with my previous work experience in retail management and then my current work experience as a nursing assistant helps me.
I will be applying as soon I possibly can. Waiting patiently for it to open.
I’m 47 this year and just applied to RGU for MH nursing. I have no qualifications in UK (i’m from Finland) but another field’s Finnish Qualifications. I started by applying to college to do Applied Sciences last year, which will give me 2 highers but also a proof of my studying skills etc. and those required educational referees you need to have to your uni-application. I’m also a carer to my partner who’s not able to work, so I am the one bringing the income to us.
Even if I am on full time course, I have college only on 3 days of the week which allowes me to work too. I am though only working 23,5hrs/ week to give me some study- and winding off-time. I get Bursary and maintanance part to it cause of my carer duties, and even if it’s not much, it’s with my pay still manageable.
Good luck hun, you only can decide to take the leap of faith or try to save first and then decide 😊
Reply 34
Have you had any joy finding a course?
I have applied for college! Just waiting to hear back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending