Teacher Training 2020 Applicants Thread Watch

Dominiquee06
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I know its super early to be starting this thread but I was feeling alone not knowing anybody else who was applying for 2020 entry so I thought I'd start a thread and see what happens. I am currently preparing for when applications open later this year.

A little bit about me and my journey:

I graduated summer 2018 with a 2:1 in Philosophy from Oxford Brookes University. I spent 6 months trying to break into the gaming industry as a community manager and it just obliterated my passion for the industry the more I spent time in it.

I really missed intellectual stimulation and I missed my subject and so I decided to pursue teaching as a career. Since then I have been working towards building a strong PGCE application for 2020 entry to become a Philosophy/RE teacher.

In addition to that, I'm applying for an MA course at Leeds for Philosophy of Religion and Ethics for September 2019 entry and also going to be redoing my GCSE Maths Part-time alongside that as I need to get that C/4 grade! (Going to have a LOT going on, I know.)

Haven't got it all figured out yet though, Still undecided as to which method I want to take, university or school-based PGCE

I'd love to hear about your guys' journeys! Where are you applying? What do you want to teach? How are your personal statements going? All that kind of stuff - Share all!
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There's lots of different ways to get into teaching. This guide may help you if you're not sure.

I'll be applying for secondary history!

Name:
Applying at:

For when applications open:
Spoiler:
Show

You can sign up and apply for Teacher Training on UCAS here.
Or for more information about that process, see here.

When you've applied then you should get replies within 40 working days
You must respond to these within a further 10 working days

If you have a question about QTS tests, take a look at this thread first.

If you're undertaking a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course then you can find the dedicated thread to them here.

Don't forget that if you're in Scotland, the PGDE is orchestrated through the undergraduate application system.

Also, here's a little motivator if you feel like you need a bit of inspiration.
Last edited by 04MR17; 4 weeks ago
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Name: MR
Specific Course: PGCE (Secondary History)
Applying at::tumble:

Personal statements? Lol haven't even thought about that yet. I'm getting school experience in the next 6 months to go and really need to get researching into unis and courses but it's all so terrifying about the future and I really don't want to.:hide:
Last edited by 04MR17; 4 weeks ago
Alexandra Santos
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Name: Alexandra Santos
Specific Course: PGCE (Secondary Biology)
Applying at: Warwick University

Hi! I work as a Learning Support Assistant so i am getting my work experience. I am also finishing a MSc in Learning Disabilities.
I will be starting to get some study in for Skills test and specifically Biology as I did my BSc in Psycology.

Cant wait for further on in the year to have my Msc done and get into my personal statement and applications
Alexandra Santos
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Hi! I work as a Learning Support Assistant so i am getting my work experience. I am also finishing a MSc in Learning Disabilities.
I will be starting to get some study in for Skills test and specifically Biology as I did my BSc in Psycology.

Cant wait for further on in the year to have my Msc done and get into my personal statement and applications
Dominiquee06
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Name: MR
Specific Course: PGCE (Secondary History)
Applying at::tumble:

Personal statements? Lol haven't even thought about that yet. I'm getting school experience in the next 6 months to go and really need to get researching into unis and courses but it's all so terrifying about the future and I really don't want to.:hide:
Yeaaaa I'm mostly concerned about getting some experience at the moment. I'm probably going to get some advice about personal statements from my university as I am honestly so rubbish at writing them! I feel the exact same! I am so nervous/scared about the whole thing that ive kinda been putting it off a bit.:afraid:
Dominiquee06
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alexandra Santos)

Nice! how did you find juggling work and a masters degree? im kinda worried about not being able to juggle it all. I have an interview on the 28th for a teaching assistant role in a secondary school so i get that so i can get some decent experience under my belt!
Fennchurch
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi,

I’m currently at OB studying Philosophy, hopefully I’ll graduate in 2020 to go straight into a PGCE/PGDE in Secondary RE.
Mostly just worried about the possibility of needing to do an SKE programme as my degree is Philosophy not Theology. Can’t decide whether to pay the £150 to fund it myself over summer or wait to see if a uni will fund me though it as part of my offer or whether I even need to do it at all.
Trying to look at some unis nearer to home, so Liverpool Hope, Edge Hill, Chester, LJMU etc.

Also I heard at my last opening evening that even though having classroom experience is very helpful, some new regulation has come into place meaning that a course cannot ‘require’ you have have a set amount of experience in a classroom. I’m still seeing this requirement on so many websites though- wondering if anyone can shed any light/truth on the situation?
Dominiquee06
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fennchurch)
Hi,

I’m currently at OB studying Philosophy, hopefully I’ll graduate in 2020 to go straight into a PGCE/PGDE in Secondary RE.
Mostly just worried about the possibility of needing to do an SKE programme as my degree is Philosophy not Theology. Can’t decide whether to pay the £150 to fund it myself over summer or wait to see if a uni will fund me though it as part of my offer or whether I even need to do it at all.
Trying to look at some unis nearer to home, so Liverpool Hope, Edge Hill, Chester, LJMU etc.

Also I heard at my last opening evening that even though having classroom experience is very helpful, some new regulation has come into place meaning that a course cannot ‘require’ you have have a set amount of experience in a classroom. I’m still seeing this requirement on so many websites though- wondering if anyone can shed any light/truth on the situation?
I also did my degree in Philosophy so I'm wondering the same thing. I hope I dont need to do the subject knowledge enhancement course to be honest.

I haven't heard anything about this new regulation. It would add a defo take the pressure off if that is the case though!
Fennchurch
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Dominiquee06)
I also did my degree in Philosophy so I'm wondering the same thing. I hope I dont need to do the subject knowledge enhancement course to be honest.

I haven't heard anything about this new regulation. It would add a defo take the pressure off if that is the case though!
I think it’s worth emailing any prospective unis asking if the degree is suitable, that’s what I’m doing, and if they say I need to do a SKE programme I’ll get ahead of the game and do one myself.
I’d love to know what the new rule actually is, no idea where to start looking apart from the uni that told me though.
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Dominiquee06)

I think it’s worth emailing any prospective unis asking if the degree is suitable, that’s what I’m doing, and if they say I need to do a SKE programme I’ll get ahead of the game and do one myself.
I’d love to know what the new rule actually is, no idea where to start looking apart from the uni that told me though.
Get Into Teaching website should provide clarity about the rules. It could be that schools now don't have to follow certain practices in school-based trainee appointments in this regard when it comes to academies and free schools who don't have the same regulations as state maintained schools. Or it could indeed be that changes have been made for all courses including those maintained by universities.

I doubt an SKE would be needed from Philosophy to RE, but it's possible that they'd pick a theologian over you if it came down to limited places if they were struggling to decide between you.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by 04MR17; 3 weeks ago
Liverpool Hope University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi,

Hello ,

I can only speak on behalf of our university but we ask for an Undergraduate Honours Degree 2:2 or above, incorporating at least 50% subject related to your PGCE subject choice. Once an application is submitted it would then be down to the academics who are processing the application as to whether they believe a SKE course would be required. If you have studied A-Level R.E then this would also increase your chances of not needing to complete an SKE course.

In terms of the experience in a school setting we ask for relevant experience as it is beneficial for your application but it is not essential to be considered. For all of our PGCE courses, offers are also subject to a successful interview. There are few more entry requirements that are set and these can all be found at the link but the above hopefully should answer some of your questions.

I hope this helps,
Tom :five:
Last edited by Liverpool Hope University; 3 weeks ago
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
PGCE Secondary Entry Requirements

(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hello ,

I can only speak on behalf of our university but we ask for an Undergraduate Honours Degree 2:2 or above, incorporating at least 50% subject related to your PGCE subject choice. Once an application is submitted it would then be down to the academics who are processing the application as to whether they believe a SKE course would be required. If you have studied A-Level R.E then this would also increase your chances of not needing to complete an SKE course.

In terms of the experience in a school setting we ask for relevant experience as it is beneficial for your application but it is not essential to be considered. For all of our PGCE courses, offers are also subject to a successful interview. There are few more entry requirements that are set and these can all be found at the link but the above hopefully should answer some of your questions.

I hope this helps,
Fennchurch
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hello ,

I hope this helps,
Hi Tom,

Thanks so much. Is there a department email or phone number you could reccomend just so I can have a chat about the course?

Thanks
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi Tom,

Thanks so much. Is there a department email or phone number you could reccomend just so I can have a chat about the course?

Thanks
Hi

Of course, you can email our Education Department on [email protected] or you can give them a call on 0151 291 3410.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Marc:crown:
Dominiquee06
Rep:
?
I'm considering Oxford University as an option and for RE they say this on their website 🤔

"We welcome applications from candidates who have studied Religious Studies, Theology or Biblical Studies. We also encourage applications from those who have studied a related area, such as Sociology, Philosophy or Politics however these applicants should make it clear in application how their degree includes significant elements of the study of religion."

So I think the general consensus is just providing information about how much religion comes into your degree.

the link for anyone interested: http://www.education.ox.ac.uk/programmes/pgce/
Sk2009
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Im so glad i fohnd this discussion.

Name: SK
Specific Course: Unsure but primart
Applying at: maybe Bishop, Bedford or Cambridge

i am also unsure i am working as a TA in early years however after having a baby i am going in to yr 6! Big jump! I do want to request i am put in other years as i would like to gain experience. as i feel this would help... i also need to do my literacy skills test and my english and science... i have do e my maths skills test and been told they are valid for 3 years so i should be ok.

I am unsure what route to take but going to build up and research into them.
miss.eleanora
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Name: E.R.M
Specific Course: Primary PGDE
Applying at: Sheffield Hallam

Woohoo for 2020 application thread! I've already got my place as a deferred place just getting all my conditions sorted (:
Sheffield Hallam University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi miss.eleanora

Let me know if you have any questions about your course or student life in Sheffield!

Thanks
Bridget
eilish1903
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Undergrad degree: Biochemistry from the University of Wolverhampton
Applications: University of Reading, Bunel Univeristy and Hertforshire Univeristy
Course: PGCE with QTS Secondary Chemistry

I've applied to the three unis above, I've heard back from Reading and Brunel. I have an interview for Reading this monday (04/02/19) and was just wondering if anyone had any tips. I'm so nervous about it. I loved chemistry at A Level and wanted to study chemistry at uni but my head of sixth form told me I was aiming too high wanting to apply to study chemistry at places like Warwick and Birmingham and Aston and convinced me to apply for biochem at polytechnic unis to ensure I got a place even though I got ABBC in AS levels. When I was in secondary school I knew I wanted to go into teaching and he said that if I did it this way I was certianly able to go to a russle group uni to do my actual PGCE and teacher training...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (47)
9.13%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.72%
No, but I want to start (185)
35.92%
No, I am unable to (119)
23.11%
No, I chose not to (150)
29.13%