Is this a good choice for a career in computer science?

Watch
CodeNameScythe
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Alevel maths
Alevel chemistry
Alevel computer science
I'm not a huge fan of chemistry but I heard that it's good for computer science?
Routeri
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maths is the most important
However, physics is seen as more suitable for computer science but any science is good
But since you don't like chemistry, i'd advise not to take it at a level since it'll be harder to do well in a subject you don't enjoy.
kurro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Computer Science will help a lot.

Maths will also help, but computer science will only be more maths based with the top universities(e.g Oxford, Bristol, Cambridge, etc)

Chemistry.....I regret taking. You do not need it at all. But take it if you are going to enjoy it.

The only ones that will help are maths and computer science. And any other subject.

I took maths, chem, and art. I got all my offers. But only maths was needed. I should have taken engineering, CS, and maths instead (it would have been so much easier and I would have enjoyed the subjects too ffs).

But only choose ones you will enjoy, as when it comes to exams you don't want the revision to be boring and dull. You need an interest in your A level subjects.
Last edited by kurro; 1 year ago
TheDoublethinker
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CodeNameScythe)
Alevel maths
Alevel chemistry
Alevel computer science
I'm not a huge fan of chemistry but I heard that it's good for computer science?
No, it's not. Further maths or physics are better options if you're good at them. In any case maths and computer science are all you need. The third option should be something you enjoy and are good at.
username4249996
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did a physics course, it wont help you with your degree. Further Maths is much much more useful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed