The Student Room Group

English Literature Revision Tips

Hey, I was wondering how other English Lit students (I'm on AQA) revised or are revising for their A-level exams?

At the moment I just find important quotes and analyse them on flashcards and write essay plans?

Any advice or alternative methods that work for other people?
Hi there,
Currently, I am in year 11 and though I am taking my GCSE'S you can easily apply these methods.
Doing exam questions are always helpful but I find making mind maps on the plot, context, characters, themes within a novel or play is extremely useful. Don't know if this has helped but often the most simplistic revision resources are the most effective and once created you have it for the whole course and that content.
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte6787
Hi there,
Currently, I am in year 11 and though I am taking my GCSE'S you can easily apply these methods.
Doing exam questions are always helpful but I find making mind maps on the plot, context, characters, themes within a novel or play is extremely useful. Don't know if this has helped but often the most simplistic revision resources are the most effective and once created you have it for the whole course and that content.

No that is usefiu and I have tried that it's just there is a lot more at A-level than at GCSE so I guess it's just a lot harder to condense but I will definitely apply these methods to my other subjects thank you 😊
Reply 3
Did a level english lit last year. My english teacher compiled a long list of essay questions, i did a **** tone of them which was useful. Of course i did flashcards for quotes,i even ended up doing voice recordings of myself reading quotes which i listened back to every day lol. I cant say exactly how much this helped but i did remember all the quotes for my exams last year. Read up on some articles for context too, maybe do mind maps for the contexts of each book youre studying.
Extra reading always helps. We’re doing Othello and I can’t tell you how many hours I’ve spent watching film adaptations of Shakespeare.
Reply 5
Original post by BenK64
Did a level english lit last year. My english teacher compiled a long list of essay questions, i did a **** tone of them which was useful. Of course i did flashcards for quotes,i even ended up doing voice recordings of myself reading quotes which i listened back to every day lol. I cant say exactly how much this helped but i did remember all the quotes for my exams last year. Read up on some articles for context too, maybe do mind maps for the contexts of each book youre studying.

Yeah I think doing past paper questions and maybe for the ones I don't find as hard essay plans I guess? Actuallye, rcording the quotes sounds like a really good way to remember them thank you!! And yeah I know the context now it's just about incorporating it into my answers. Thank you again :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by jadere
Yeah I think doing past paper questions and maybe for the ones I don't find as hard essay plans I guess? Actuallye, rcording the quotes sounds like a really good way to remember them thank you!! And yeah I know the context now it's just about incorporating it into my answers. Thank you again :smile:

yeah that sounds good. thorough essays plans are still really helpful. listening back to my voice was a bit weird at first, but if you say the quotes with tone/expression in your voice its more memorable. also revision with a friend can be helpful if you know you wont distract each other bc you get different perspectives. if youre doing tragedy i have some essay questions our teacher gave us if you like
Reply 7
Original post by BenK64
yeah that sounds good. thorough essays plans are still really helpful. listening back to my voice was a bit weird at first, but if you say the quotes with tone/expression in your voice its more memorable. also revision with a friend can be helpful if you know you wont distract each other bc you get different perspectives. if youre doing tragedy i have some essay questions our teacher gave us if you like

Me and my friends would definitely distract one another 😂 and that's really nice of you unfortunately I'm not doing anything on tragedy but thank you anyway ☺️
Reply 8
Original post by nightisdark
Extra reading always helps. We’re doing Othello and I can’t tell you how many hours I’ve spent watching film adaptations of Shakespeare.

I'm doing Othello too and remembering quotes for it I just seem unable to do 😬 watching the film sounds like a good idea (as long as I remember which quotes are actually from the play, though they are usually pretty accurate) thank you 😊
Reply 9
Original post by jadere
Me and my friends would definitely distract one another 😂 and that's really nice of you unfortunately I'm not doing anything on tragedy but thank you anyway ☺️

ahah np, honestly group revision never really worked for me either XD Good luck with your A levels :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by BenK64
ahah np, honestly group revision never really worked for me either XD Good luck with your A levels :smile:

Aha, thank you ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest