Ehogan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
How did everyone find the June open day today?
DiviFilius14
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Ehogan)
How did everyone find the June open day today?
It was very helpful meeting the various HoDs for my subjects, and the school really is beautiful! I'm very excited for this November and beyond!
anamazingperson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by DiviFilius14)
It was very helpful meeting the various HoDs for my subjects, and the school really is beautiful! I'm very excited for this November and beyond!
wat do you think about school on every saturday
DiviFilius14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by anamazingperson)
wat do you think about school on every saturday
Eh it seems fine. I think as a consequence the school has slightly longer holidays, but regardless it's only in the mornings.
xanx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
It was good. The buildings felt quite standard, but I suppose it's the teachers and students that make it special. It's made it a bit more real, I guess (different from the Hogwarts type buildings I was expecting). Is anyone else trying for a QS?
Mintiee
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by mdelecq)
Ah wow a humanities students, you're a rare breed here aha. Good luck on your applications, I currently attend Concord College actually so if you need any help, let me know. I'll be honest, we're a very science driven school; however, we do have an impeccable maths and English department. Where are you from?
So I am not from UK meaning I don't know a lot about the schools there, but I did heard about Concord! I'm really interested, so, say if I want to go there for my 6th form, which subjects would you recommend and which one you wouldn't? Also, how is the environment there? ie. the facilities/teachers/competitiveness/friends.
How many subjects are the student there taking? (3,4,5?) I'm thinking about taking Math, *maybe* FurtherMath, Physics and something else?
mdelecq
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Oh cool! People usually take about 4 subjects, sometimes 3 and an EPQ. Concord's very science orientated so I'd recommend an add on in the sciences OR economics, most Concord students pursue economics and our econs department is really good. I wouldn't recommend English solely because you can't choose between language or literature, the school only offers a combined course. Then again, those are based on my sole opinions.

The environment at Concord is friendly and pretty competitive but in a good and motivating way. People do tend to group off into nationalities because of language similarities, so that can sometimes be an issue; however, they always mix with others. The faculty at Concord is great as well. Most, if not all, teachers at Concord are very dedicated to their field and also have a variety of personalities which makes the lessons a lot more intriguing. The house parents (pastoral care) and other staff members are all very kind as well and want the best for everyone, rules can sometimes be strict; however, it's for our own benefit of safety haha.

The only down-side is how isolated the campus is. We're about 20 minutes away from the nearest town, Shrewsbury, and are only able to go out 2-times a week. It's bearable; however, depends on the person. I was raised in the city so it's a bit harder to adjust to but not impossible. The area the campus is located in is stunning environmentally. Oh! and people are very rich here ahaha, many who attend own Gucci and Off-White stuff and wear them daily, so if you're not comfortable with that, that may also be a down-side ahha.

hope that helped!

(Original post by Mintiee)
So I am not from UK meaning I don't know a lot about the schools there, but I did heard about Concord! I'm really interested, so, say if I want to go there for my 6th form, which subjects would you recommend and which one you wouldn't? Also, how is the environment there? ie. the facilities/teachers/competitiveness/friends.
How many subjects are the student there taking? (3,4,5?) I'm thinking about taking Math, *maybe* FurtherMath, Physics and something else?
Mintiee
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Oh thank you so much!!! This really helped a lot I will probably apply to concord and few others. Also how much sports do you do a week? I heard some schools have sporting matches every week. (I like sport but isn't the best at it haha)
Oh cool! People usually take about 4 subjects, sometimes 3 and an EPQ. Concord's very science orientated so I'd recommend an add on in the sciences OR economics, most Concord students pursue economics and our econs department is really good. I wouldn't recommend English solely because you can't choose between language or literature, the school only offers a combined course. Then again, those are based on my sole opinions.

The environment at Concord is friendly and pretty competitive but in a good and motivating way. People do tend to group off into nationalities because of language similarities, so that can sometimes be an issue; however, they always mix with others. The faculty at Concord is great as well. Most, if not all, teachers at Concord are very dedicated to their field and also have a variety of personalities which makes the lessons a lot more intriguing. The house parents (pastoral care) and other staff members are all very kind as well and want the best for everyone, rules can sometimes be strict; however, it's for our own benefit of safety haha.

The only down-side is how isolated the campus is. We're about 20 minutes away from the nearest town, Shrewsbury, and are only able to go out 2-times a week. It's bearable; however, depends on the person. I was raised in the city so it's a bit harder to adjust to but not impossible. The area the campus is located in is stunning environmentally. Oh! and people are very rich here ahaha, many who attend own Gucci and Off-White stuff and wear them daily, so if you're not comfortable with that, that may also be a down-side ahha.

hope that helped!
Last edited by Mintiee; 4 months ago
mdelecq
Rep:
?
Not many to be honest. The sports matches are mainly basketball at night, football after school and a few times a year we have a school-wide sports fest which is "compulsory", meaning that they will heavily persuade you into partaking. Most sports are with male teams as the female teams are low-populated. I know many people who haven't done one sport all year, so not a problem! Also, there's a gym at the school which is open in the mornings and night, its rly good and i really recommend it
(Original post by Mintiee)
Oh thank you so much!!! This really helped a lot I will probably apply to concord and few others. Also how much sports do you do a week? I heard some schools have sporting matches every week. (I like sport but isn't the best at it haha)
mdelecq
Rep:
?
Have most people done their GCSE's finish their syllabuses for their subjects yet? I haven't and I'm scared it'll cause an issue..
xanx
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
lol no - we keep learning till the week before our GCSEs. I'm still really confused how they will ask us all questions when we're at different stages of our courses. I'm assuming that you're able to apply then??
DiviFilius14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Have most people done their GCSE's finish their syllabuses for their subjects yet? I haven't and I'm scared it'll cause an issue..
(Original post by xanx)
lol no - we keep learning till the week before our GCSEs. I'm still really confused how they will ask us all questions when we're at different stages of our courses. I'm assuming that you're able to apply then??
I'm taking: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Latin. During the Open Day, I asked the respective HoDs what we will need to know for the exam. The Maths/FM Exam will only really assess Y9/early Y10 content, though it will be heavily focussed on application of knowledge and problem-solving. Hence, the best way to prepare for this exam is to work through Maths Olympiad papers and such (although I highly doubt the exam will be anywhere near the difficulty of the British Maths Olympiad, for example). If you aren't taking Further Maths, then I think they don't expect you to perform as well as a FM candidate.

For Physics, again, little is tested beyond Y9 (KS3) since there are many international applicants who will not have followed an i/GCSE course. To quote the 'Sixth Form Courses 2020' document, they will give you: some "short-answer questions that are designed to test some basic knowledge and recall, but more to test a candidate’s ability to learn an idea and run with it quickly. Extensive revision is not required, and would be of no help. The exam is not based on any particular GCSE (or IGCSE) course and, as such, no particular knowledge is assumed beyond Key Stage 3 (i.e. Year 9)."

I doubt anyone else on this thread is doing Latin, but if you are: the exam has three sections. In the first, you will be given a series of Latin sentences with their translations though you will have to spot the mistakes in either the Latin or the English. In the second, you will have to translate an unseen passage from Latin into English; in the third, you will have to write a literary appreciation of an English passage.

Personally, my school is around 80% finished with our iGCSE courses, though in some subjects more ahead than in others (we have finished Maths, though still have an entire paper's worth of content in Latin, for example). I wouldn't bother trying to rush through your courses: the vast majority of students at Westminster are already capable of getting 9s in such exams, and so they are looking for people who are genuienly passionate about learning; I will personally be reading around my subjects and trying to broaden my knowledge, though I may just revisit the GCSE courses a month before the exam since my mocks will be soon after the entrance exams anyway.
Last edited by DiviFilius14; 4 months ago
mdelecq
Rep:
?
yeah, my school's international so we only are halfway through the syllabuses oy vey. and yeah! I can finally apply hahaha

I spoke to a friend who took the exams and gained acceptance and she said some pages were optional pages of questions of further content some people may not have studied. I guess we'll find out November 2nd

(Original post by xanx)
xanx
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I plan on reading around my subjects, and doing past papers for my mocks/exam. I feel like the style of the exam is going to be more of a teaching a new concept and answering questions based on it. Are you hoping on boarding? Also, what are the personal statements about? - I know it's early, but you know
fangers
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by xanx)
I plan on reading around my subjects, and doing past papers for my mocks/exam. I feel like the style of the exam is going to be more of a teaching a new concept and answering questions based on it. Are you hoping on boarding? Also, what are the personal statements about? - I know it's early, but you know
hi, i'm taking a place (fingers crossed my grades make the cut lol) at westminster in september so been through the entire ridiculously long winded process. from what i can blurrily recall (as the exams were like a year ago) the personal statement was just stuff like what music and sport do you do, what are you hoping to study, why do you want to come here etc. there's only a few lines to answer each question so they're not expecting full blown essays. if you get through to the interviews they may well ask you about your statement like i was asked about the volunteering i put down but it does vary wildly according to the teachers you get, other people didn't discuss their statement at all. if u have any more questions about the process feel free to ask!!
anamazingperson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by fangers)
hi, i'm taking a place (fingers crossed my grades make the cut lol) at westminster in september so been through the entire ridiculously long winded process. from what i can blurrily recall (as the exams were like a year ago) the personal statement was just stuff like what music and sport do you do, what are you hoping to study, why do you want to come here etc. there's only a few lines to answer each question so they're not expecting full blown essays. if you get through to the interviews they may well ask you about your statement like i was asked about the volunteering i put down but it does vary wildly according to the teachers you get, other people didn't discuss their statement at all. if u have any more questions about the process feel free to ask!!
subjects and preparation????exam content????
fangers
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by anamazingperson)
subjects and preparation????exam content????
i did french, spanish, history and geography. the exams weren't actually too bad; i think with humanities there's a lot more leeway and room for discussion/to impress. all the exams were pretty straightforward, because i did 4 essay subjects they were more difficult to prepare for because there's no such thing as common content for everybody when it comes to history, geography etc. but there is for maths and sciences. i didn't do a lot of prep because i kind of went into the whole process with a 'if it happens it happens' attitude, i was reading a lot of books outside of the curriculum anyway and skimmed over some of my gcse syllabus (although i actually found i used almost none of my gcse knowledge and a lot more of the stuff i'd learnt myself through my own interests!) important thing is that the exams are NOT gcse style at all, they're actually tests of aptitude more so than knowledge. some of my friends who did other subjects said the maths exams are more UMC style and the science questions were applying gcse level concepts to weird/unseen contexts to test your understanding of them. if you enjoy your subjects and have a passion for them you might wind up finding the process quite fun!!
xanx
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi, thanks for the help. What results do you have to get? Also, do you know anything about getting a Queen's Scholarship?
fangers
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by xanx)
Hi, thanks for the help. What results do you have to get? Also, do you know anything about getting a Queen's Scholarship?
the acceptance email said '8 A/7 grades at GCSE/IGCSE, of which at least 4 are A*/8-9 (preferably in the chosen A Level subjects)' so not too bad, anybody who can get an offer will probably be able to meet those. i don't know much about the scholarship but i think you just need to perform very well across the board in exams and interviews as well as the TSA which you have to do. you just need to tick the box to say you want to be considered for the scholarship when applying
xanx
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
How were your interviews and the TSA?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (64)
54.24%
No (20)
16.95%
I'm not old enough (34)
28.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed