Animation University Interview Tips? Watch

newtbeaut
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does anybody have any tips for whatever to say/do at a university interview, particularly to study animation?

I've got a few lined up (Falmouth, Hertfordshire, S Wales) and I'm trying to hit up as many places as possible for advice.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Have a great day ^^

-Abi
ClockworkPaws
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by newtbeaut)
Does anybody have any tips for whatever to say/do at a university interview, particularly to study animation?

I've got a few lined up (Falmouth, Hertfordshire, S Wales) and I'm trying to hit up as many places as possible for advice.

-Abi
Omg I'm so sorry it's me again :'^) But I've already had 4 interviews back when I first applied for Animation (I had to cancel my app over health issues) and I was accepted into all 4 unis.

My main tips would be:
- Have something to say about most of your work, pick out a specific project or piece in particular that you want to talk about, ideally your best work or the work you're most proud of.
- Have a reason as to why you want to study animation in the first place!
- Be polite - handshake if offered, thank them and smile :^)
- Try to have something to say about the kind of work you love doing outside of college/school and the kind of work you see yourself creating whilst you study there.
- Make sure you have your best work at the start and end of your porfolio so you start and end your interview with a good impression!

Good luck!
newtbeaut
Rep:
?
(Original post by ClockworkPaws)
Omg I'm so sorry it's me again :'^) But I've already had 4 interviews back when I first applied for Animation (I had to cancel my app over health issues) and I was accepted into all 4 unis.

My main tips would be:
- Have something to say about most of your work, pick out a specific project or piece in particular that you want to talk about, ideally your best work or the work you're most proud of.
- Have a reason as to why you want to study animation in the first place!
- Be polite - handshake if offered, thank them and smile :^)
- Try to have something to say about the kind of work you love doing outside of college/school and the kind of work you see yourself creating whilst you study there.
- Make sure you have your best work at the start and end of your porfolio so you start and end your interview with a good impression!

Good luck!
I swear you're single-handed saving my life lmao 😂 Thanks so much.

This'll be really useful for me. Good luck with your offers and interviews too! I'm sure if you did well the first time, you'll do great again ^^
Sherlocked01
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

-Abi
I've had two interviews for animation so far and they really weren't as stressful as I thought they would be! The interview questions I've had so far are mostly things like "why animation?" "Who is your greatest inspiration", and "what's your favourite animated film and why?" I just answered that I want to study animation because I'm passionate about art and would love the opportunity to bring my work to life and create my own unique stories, Studio Ghibli is my greatest inspiration because I love the way all the films are so creative and full of emotion and Spirited Away is my favourite film because I am drawn to the unique character and landscape designs and I love how gripping the story is, it makes me want to make my own films that can make others feel the same way. These answers seemed to work for me, the interviewers have been really nice so far, I even had a relaxed conversation with one interviewer after he had finished all the questions about our favourite anime and Disney films I had a surprisingly fun time! The interviewer will also just look through your portfolio and should tell you what parts he likes and how you could improve etc and how the university will help you to improve.
I've got an interview at Hertfordshire next week and even though I've done two already it's still kinda scary, but trust me when you've done one you will feel more relaxed for the others.
Good luck 😊
newtbeaut
Rep:
?
(Original post by Btsfangirl01)
I've had two interviews for animation so far and they really weren't as stressful as I thought they would be! The interview questions I've had so far are mostly things like "why animation?" "Who is your greatest inspiration", and "what's your favourite animated film and why?" I just answered that I want to study animation because I'm passionate about art and would love the opportunity to bring my work to life and create my own unique stories, Studio Ghibli is my greatest inspiration because I love the way all the films are so creative and full of emotion and Spirited Away is my favourite film because I am drawn to the unique character and landscape designs and I love how gripping the story is, it makes me want to make my own films that can make others feel the same way. These answers seemed to work for me, the interviewers have been really nice so far, I even had a relaxed conversation with one interviewer after he had finished all the questions about our favourite anime and Disney films I had a surprisingly fun time! The interviewer will also just look through your portfolio and should tell you what parts he likes and how you could improve etc and how the university will help you to improve.
I've got an interview at Hertfordshire next week and even though I've done two already it's still kinda scary, but trust me when you've done one you will feel more relaxed for the others.
Good luck 😊
Ahhhhh! That's super useful! Thank you so much ^^

I think one of the 2D lecturers at Herts is really into Ghibli (seemed so when I went for the open day) - I think he was Canadian. If you have him, definitely use it to your advantage (And I think we both have the same interview date - I'm going in the morning ^^)

Good luck with your offers and interviews though! I really appreciate your help ^∆^
hollyhorse
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Heya guys! I have a hertfordshire interveiw next week and I'm hella anxious - I think we might even have the same day lmao.

But anyway, I had my first animation intereview last week with AUB. It was very nerve wracking, but I struggle with anxiety anyway so you guys might not find it so bad. I'd 100% reccomend picking out pieces you like, are proud of, and have something to say about (like mentioned above), even with just observational work since I was asked about some pieces of my observational work and struggled to find something substantial to say about them :/ Also, say everything you want to say. Don't wait to be asked about stuff like what inspired you to make the piece, or the story behind a character. An interview isn't the time to hold back about that stuff. And be sure to have an answer about why you want to go to that course in parituclar!

Weird question, but how much life drawing do other people have, and what kind is it (like, is it just short pose sketch-type stuff, or full-on shaded and rendered pieces)?
newtbeaut
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by hollyhorse)
Heya guys! I have a hertfordshire interveiw next week and I'm hella anxious - I think we might even have the same day lmao.

But anyway, I had my first animation intereview last week with AUB. It was very nerve wracking, but I struggle with anxiety anyway so you guys might not find it so bad. I'd 100% reccomend picking out pieces you like, are proud of, and have something to say about (like mentioned above), even with just observational work since I was asked about some pieces of my observational work and struggled to find something substantial to say about them :/ Also, say everything you want to say. Don't wait to be asked about stuff like what inspired you to make the piece, or the story behind a character. An interview isn't the time to hold back about that stuff. And be sure to have an answer about why you want to go to that course in parituclar!

Weird question, but how much life drawing do other people have, and what kind is it (like, is it just short pose sketch-type stuff, or full-on shaded and rendered pieces)?
Lmao~

Thanks so much for the advice. I didn't have time to reply until now, but it really helped me with Falmouth ^^ I cantc thank you enough!

I don't think I have enough life drawing :/ But I have 2 5minute and 2 10 minute drawings of my friends ( we dodntd have a class in our area) and some of my cat ahha.

I wish you the best of luck (I have no doubt you'll do well ^^). Thanks again for the reply ¢∆¢
Saphie B
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I've applied for 3D Games Art at HU, went to the 1st Feb interview and got an offer!
If you haven't already been for interview, Croquis Cafe is an online resource for life drawings! You can always top up with some examples from there. I suggest at least 10-15 pages
newtbeaut
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Saphie B)
I've applied for 3D Games Art at HU, went to the 1st Feb interview and got an offer!
If you haven't already been for interview, Croquis Cafe is an online resource for life drawings! You can always top up with some examples from there. I suggest at least 10-15 pages
Hi! Thanks for the advice ^^ I have an offer there to study 2D, and I've just made it my firm choice. Hopefully I'll get to meet you !
Jo-Dee_Longstaff
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I also need help with what to say on my interview in Graphic Design since its on the 13th so holpefully i dont get to late of a reply i would be really helpful if so, first interview request.
newtbeaut
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Jo-Dee_Longstaff)
I also need help with what to say on my interview in Graphic Design since its on the 13th so holpefully i dont get to late of a reply i would be really helpful if so, first interview request.
Hey ^^

I've not really got an expertise in your area of field, but I would probably suggest a similar thing like many others on this thread have suggested, such as picking a piece of work to passionately talk about, and being prepared to both answer and ask questions.

Have you tried to make your own post calling for tips for graphic design? This might be pretty useful ^^

Good luck!!! I hope your get into your first choice ^^
Jo-Dee_Longstaff
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey ^^

I've not really got an expertise in your area of field, but I would probably suggest a similar thing like many others on this thread have suggested, such as picking a piece of work to passionately talk about, and being prepared to both answer and ask questions.

Have you tried to make your own post calling for tips for graphic design? This might be pretty useful ^^

Good luck!!! I hope your get into your first choice ^^
Thank you, you to
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Material Futures Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Feb '19
  • University of Brighton
    Health and clinical practice + health professions + hospitality, tourism and events + journalism + sport and exercise Postgraduate
    Tue, 26 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (88)
14.52%
Yes - a food allergy (63)
10.4%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (15)
2.48%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (16)
2.64%
No (424)
69.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed