ZakGoulders
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi All,

I currently attend a grammar school (it's a public school and it's not posh haha) and they have a Sixth Form. The grade requirements are 6 6s. I am predicted to get at least 6s in all my subject so hopefully I should be ok getting in. My sister attends a college and she is only there 2 or 3 days a week and studies Health and Social. She has plenty of free time and is able to work meaning she has money she is able to put towards trips and saving up for driving. To be able to do the course, you need "four GCSEs at grade 3 (D) or above including English Language and/or Maths. You will also need DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) clearance for your work experience placement."

I've got 2 questions really

1. How does 4 GCSEs allow someone to become a paramedic without going to uni?

2. If I can do something like that, is there any benefit of going to Sixth Form?

Sorry for the long question and appreciate any answers.

Zak
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
BenChen10
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
College is a better choice imo since you can be more flexible and it is more independent in a way.
applesauce1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ZakGoulders)
Hi All,

I currently attend a grammar school (it's a public school and it's not posh haha) and they have a Sixth Form. The grade requirements are 6 6s. I am predicted to get at least 6s in all my subject so hopefully I should be ok getting in. My sister attends a college and she is only there 2 or 3 days a week and studies Health and Social. She has plenty of free time and is able to work meaning she has money she is able to put towards trips and saving up for driving. To be able to do the course, you need "four GCSEs at grade 3 (D) or above including English Language and/or Maths. You will also need DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) clearance for your work experience placement."

2. If I can do something like that, is there any benefit of going to Sixth Form?

Zak
I do college but most of my friends stayed at 6th form, they all hate it and I love college, all of the free time is great and I've been able to start learning guitar, get a job and help my mum out around the house more. I've also spoken to some universities, they value A levels and college the same so in my opinion there is really no reason to do 6th form instead of college but college is more subject-focused so if you don't know what subject you want to do then it can be harder to decide, but that's just my experience, I hope thats useful to you
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ZakGoulders)
Hi All,

Zak
Hi Zak,

To be honest with your there is no right or wrong/better or worse option here it's about what's right for you as an individual and what your overall career goals are.

There are pros and cons to all education options which are subjective to each individual learner.

To answer question 1 - becoming a paramedic is not as straightforward as this. Most paramedics do go to university and do their paramedical sciences degree. You can now train as a student paramedic on the job through an apprenticeship or direct placement with a NHS trust but you will still need to do your higher education alongside your training. You can find out more here - https://nationalcareers.service.gov....iles/paramedic

For question 2 - there are benefits to sixth form especially if you feel you have a more academic learning style. Being able to pick more than one subject can keep your future options more open too. If you feel you learn better being more hands on, doing placements with employers and learning on the job you may be better suited to a BTEC, NVQ or an apprenticeship.

If you want to go to uni in the future A-levels are the most direct route unless you take an Extended BTEC Diploma level 3. You can now do your degree through an apprenticeship as well so there are plenty of opportunities out there to work towards higher levels of qualifications. Some colleges offer a BTEC/A-level combo too where you can take 1 A-level alongside a BTEC at level 3.

What's important is that you make a decision that is well informed, is right for you and will help you achieve your career goals. If you need further support and advice you can drop us a PM or chat live with a careers adviser here - bit.ly/2qycgeV

Good luck with everything - Sophie.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.23%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.35%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.76%
I need help with my personal statement (79)
41.8%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (46)
24.34%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.59%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.94%

Watched Threads