The Student Room Group

Guidance and some wisdom please!

Hello,

I am interested in applying to Cambridge in September/October 2019, with the aspiration to study Law. I would like to get the perspective of those holding offers for Law, current Cambridge Law students and postgraduates alike.

Here is a breakdown of me:

A Levels: Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Economics, English Literature, + an EPQ in Jurisprudence

Results (respectively): A*A*AB + A (EPQ)

GCSEs: 4 A's, 6 B's, 1 C

I would like to add that during GCSEs I was at a very below-standard school and also had a traumatic experience with the death of a grandparent during my GCSEs. I have a huge obstacle with not being able to allow myself to see things clearly because I feel that I've let myself down significantly from GCSEs

Please do not refrain from asking questions, mind my etiquette this is the first time I have posted on this forum if you feel that my post might be more beneficial in another forum than please direct me to it!

Thank you for your help!
Reply 1
Original post by IA1
Thank you for your help!

What's your specific question?
Original post by Doonesbury

Perhaps I ought to be a little more clearer. My key enquiry is: Should I apply to Cambridge to study Law? Is it the right decision to even put them down into my UCAS application? With my GCSEs I feel quite insecure and unsure whether it is the most sensible decision.

Perhaps I ought to be a little more clearer. My key enquiry is: Should I apply to Cambridge to study Law? Is it a sensible decision, give the context, that I put them down onto my UCAS application. My insecurity largely stems from the fact that I have poor (relative to Oxbridge) GCSEs and this has clouded my judgement.
Reply 4
Original post by IA1
Perhaps I ought to be a little more clearer. My key enquiry is: Should I apply to Cambridge to study Law? Is it the right decision to even put them down into my UCAS application? With my GCSEs I feel quite insecure and unsure whether it is the most sensible decision.

Original post by IA1
Perhaps I ought to be a little more clearer. My key enquiry is: Should I apply to Cambridge to study Law? Is it a sensible decision, give the context, that I put them down onto my UCAS application. My insecurity largely stems from the fact that I have poor (relative to Oxbridge) GCSEs and this has clouded my judgement.

Are your A-levels predicted, or actually achieved? If predicted, what year are you? Your A-levels are more important than your GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are your A-levels predicted, or actually achieved? If predicted, what year are you? Your A-levels are more important than your GCSEs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths, English Literature and Economics are achieved (A*AB). Further Mathematics (FM) & EPQ aren't done yet. But in FM, I'm confident I will get an A*. In essence I am Y14.
Reply 6
Original post by IA1
Maths, English Literature and Economics are achieved (A*AB). Further Mathematics (FM) & EPQ aren't done yet. But in FM, I'm confident I will get an A*. In essence I am Y14.

Why are you taking 3 years to complete your A-levels?

TBH I think you need to contact a few colleges to ask them about your situation. At the moment your A*AB is below the typical requirement so I think it's unlikely you will be a competitive applicant unless you have extenuating circumstances.

If you do contact some colleges make sure you provide all the information at the outset to help them give the best advice...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why are you taking 3 years to complete your A-levels?

TBH I think you need to contact a few colleges to ask them about your situation. At the moment your A*AB is below the typical requirement so I think it's unlikely you will be a competitive applicant unless you have extenuating circumstances.

If you do contact some colleges make sure you provide all the information at the outset to help them give the best advice...

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I have done Y12 & Y13 and left the sixth form now. I am now on my gap year, independently doing Further Maths and my EPQ.

When I'll be applying it will be with A*A*AB (above the requirements)
Reply 8
Original post by IA1
No, I have done Y12 & Y13 and left the sixth form now. I am now on my gap year, independently doing Further Maths and my EPQ.

When I'll be applying it will be with A*A*AB (above the requirements)

But still, it will have taken 3 years to get there. Cambridge normally requires you to meet the entry requirements in the standard 2 years unless you have extenuating circumstances.

As I said, you need to check with a few colleges to check their view. And as you'll be on your 2nd gap year it might be worth asking a couple of mature colleges when you do so.
But still, it will have taken 3 years to get there. Cambridge normally requires you to meet the entry requirements in the standard 2 years unless you have extenuating circumstances.

As I said, you need to check with a few colleges to check their view. And as you'll be on your 2nd gap year it might be worth asking a couple of mature colleges when you do so.

Alright, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending