Steph.c133
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I’ve decided to choose business and law a levels however I’m struggling to decide what third course I should choose.It would be helpful if biology,chemistry and history students would tell me about the course and their experience.thanks xx
we knnow
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Steph.c133)
So I’ve decided to choose business and law a levels however I’m struggling to decide what third course I should choose.It would be helpful if biology,chemistry and history students would tell me about the course and their experience.thanks xx
dont choose bio or chem if A you arent a A science student B you dont find science interesting or 3 arent willing to put in the work
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I do history - specifically, civil rights in the USA 1865-1992, the Tudors 1547-1603 and Russia 1894-1941.
What I've found out is that your enjoyment of history is likely going to really depend on whether or not you find the topics you study interesting. I'm lucky to be quite interested in 2 out of 3 of my topics.
I do really enjoy history, but this is probably mainly because the lessons for me are quite intimate and relaxed. As for the work itself, you need to nail down a kind of golden formula for answering certain questions. With civil rights synoptic essays I'm pretty good at ticking all the boxes for what makes a good answer. With Tudor history, less so.
Another question you may have is - how are you meant to memorise all the content? Well, I have no clue. I try to avoid rote-learning facts and figures as much as possible, but I think if you can get the feel of the topic, really get immersed in it and look beyond what you need to know, memorisation kind of comes naturally. So - try teaching the topic to someone and try just using the information in a constructive way - make a timeline, write essay plans, or just straight-up write essays, talk to friends taking history about your essay and the course, stuff like that.
Besides, the way you structure your argument is much more important than just telling every detail of what happened. If you simply tell a story in your essay, you'll get sh*t-all marks.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tanzeela4)
Do you now what questions came up in the 2018 ocr paper for Russia because I'm looking for the latest questions to practice on
I don't. And you'll probably get them in the mocks anyway.
tanzeela4
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
I don't. And you'll probably get them in the mocks anyway.
We have done our mocks the teachers make up their questions and give us
SoftGingerCat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I can't say much about science but from what I was told by teachers is to take subjects that look good together. What are you thinking of taking at university? This may not be on your mind yet but do consider it. For example, you said your already taking business studies (yay) and law. So for lets say you want to take a law degree. If this was true then I would say history because it's mostly requires writing skills and that is what universities want to see when it comes to subjects like that.
fii_xox
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
you need to think about what uni course you’d like to do. history and law are similar so only choose one of them. chemistry business and history is pretty solid, shows you’ve got a range of skills. i did bio chem and psychology and just got my 5 offers back from uni
Last edited by fii_xox; 2 years ago
Omer18
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Steph.c133)
i should suggest u do go for accounting! and yeah i can personally help u to score well in accounting!
fii_xox
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Omer18)
i should suggest u do go for accounting! and yeah i can personally help u to score well in accounting!
accounting a level doesn’t sound worth it ngl
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.43%
England (143)
34.71%
Belgium (32)
7.77%
Germany (41)
9.95%
Spain (10)
2.43%