Is it worth improving my GCSE's before I apply for uni? Watch

OBaIMA
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

I'm aiming to go to uni next September (2020). I'm 26 and have never been before. I was not interested in education when I was younger and as such my grades were pretty poor.

I know I'm going to have to do an access to HE course, which I am fine with. However, if anyone can recommend an online provider for this that would be great. I highly doubt I will have time for a bricks and mortar college as I'll be working full-time.

Anyway, the point of this thread is because my GCSE's are pretty p*ss poor. I think I have maybe 4 C's and the rest are D's, E's etc. This isn't because I'm not capable, it's because I didn't do any coursework or revision for any exam as a teen.

Now, I don't care about my GCSE's in general. However,
Maths and English are two that I really want to improve. I have no higher than a C in either [they might even be D's]. I would love to go to my local college two nights a week and get an A in both subjects (hopefully), however, I have no idea if this would make any difference when it comes to applying for universities?

Any advice would be helpful. I know it's free [assuming I got D's] so why not do the courses but when taking into account that I'm going to be busy with my access to HE course, I'd rather not have any additional stress, regardless of how easy GCSE's may be for a semi-intelligent 26 year old.

I will put 100% in to my access to HE course and hopefully achieve top grades. I do not want "better" universities to turn me away based on a few exams I couldn't be bothered with as a 15 year old.

I guess an extension to my question would be.. Will any universities check? Assuming I put C's down on my application without requesting my results from my old school, will I be asked to provide any form of proof?
Moments
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They probably wouldn't care about GCSE's at this point. But you're going have a damn hard time convincing the "better" universities to take you on.

The main focus of any application would be; what you have been doing since leaving school? Why do you want to go back to study? What do you want to do after studying?
rosemadder
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, what do you want to study at university? I have no GCSE's or any previous qualifications. I did a SWAP access to social sciences course and applied for history and philosophy degrees at Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling and Glasgow Caledonian. I got offers from all and am currently at university. It really depends on what you want to study and where you want to study as to whether GCSE's are a requirement. None of my choices requested any GCSE's, not even English or Maths, these subjects were part of my access course though. In Scotland SWAP access courses have arrangements/work with Scottish universities to enable mature students to help them into education. Some degrees, teaching and psychology, did request maths GCSE.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Djdjdas
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No I think that's a waste of money if u got a good enough mark to enter uni then don't bother cause u will have to pay for alot of things and do a lot of things over however with that being said I really think it would be helpful that u take some time and go over things and study the things you were bad at so in uni they won't bother you
DCDCo
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by OBaIMA)
Hi everyone,

I'm aiming to go to uni next September (2020). I'm 26 and have never been before. I was not interested in education when I was younger and as such my grades were pretty poor.

I know I'm going to have to do an access to HE course, which I am fine with. However, if anyone can recommend an online provider for this that would be great. I highly doubt I will have time for a bricks and mortar college as I'll be working full-time.

Anyway, the point of this thread is because my GCSE's are pretty p*ss poor. I think I have maybe 4 C's and the rest are D's, E's etc. This isn't because I'm not capable, it's because I didn't do any coursework or revision for any exam as a teen.

Now, I don't care about my GCSE's in general. However,
Maths and English are two that I really want to improve. I have no higher than a C in either [they might even be D's]. I would love to go to my local college two nights a week and get an A in both subjects (hopefully), however, I have no idea if this would make any difference when it comes to applying for universities?

Any advice would be helpful. I know it's free [assuming I got D's] so why not do the courses but when taking into account that I'm going to be busy with my access to HE course, I'd rather not have any additional stress, regardless of how easy GCSE's may be for a semi-intelligent 26 year old.

I will put 100% in to my access to HE course and hopefully achieve top grades. I do not want "better" universities to turn me away based on a few exams I couldn't be bothered with as a 15 year old.

I guess an extension to my question would be.. Will any universities check? Assuming I put C's down on my application without requesting my results from my old school, will I be asked to provide any form of proof?
I used distance learning centre. I would recommend them.

Ref GCSE's - What course are you looking to take? It may have GCSE requirements. What job are you looking to obtain? Applicants may need certain GCSE's. Outside of that they are mostly irrelevant.
OBaIMA
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thanks for the replies everyone.

My aim in to go into a History or Law course at uni. I have a few destinations in mind and I have checked with most that they accept Access Diplomas for the courses that I am interested in.

From what everyone is saying, it's a waste of time and that gives me some confidence that I should just focus on the Access course going forward. I can always do the maths & english GCSE's when I have time further down the line.

(Original post by DCDCo)
I used distance learning centre. I would recommend them.

Ref GCSE's - What course are you looking to take? It may have GCSE requirements. What job are you looking to obtain? Applicants may need certain GCSE's. Outside of that they are mostly irrelevant.
Yeah they look great. The issue is they don't accept the advanced learning loan which is how I'd prefer to pay.

I would be interested to know more about how your application went considering you applied with an Access to HE diploma and where you are now. I have a vague road map in my head right now. I do not have a specific job in mind but I have an idea of where I would like to go and what I would like to do.

I know some courses have GCSE requirements of C and above which is fine. I just wasn't sure if having a higher grade than C would be of any benefit. From what people have said, I shouldn't worry too much.
DCDCo
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by OBaIMA)
Thanks for the replies everyone.

My aim in to go into a History or Law course at uni. I have a few destinations in mind and I have checked with most that they accept Access Diplomas for the courses that I am interested in.

From what everyone is saying, it's a waste of time and that gives me some confidence that I should just focus on the Access course going forward. I can always do the maths & english GCSE's when I have time further down the line.

Yeah they look great. The issue is they don't accept the advanced learning loan which is how I'd prefer to pay.

I would be interested to know more about how your application went considering you applied with an Access to HE diploma and where you are now. I have a vague road map in my head right now. I do not have a specific job in mind but I have an idea of where I would like to go and what I would like to do.

I know some courses have GCSE requirements of C and above which is fine. I just wasn't sure if having a higher grade than C would be of any benefit. From what people have said, I shouldn't worry too much.
It wasn't too different than your standard applicant. What specific questions do you have?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
9.25%
I used to but I don't now (15)
2.62%
No, but I want to start (205)
35.78%
No, I am unable to (132)
23.04%
No, I chose not to (168)
29.32%