Royal Marines or Paras: Which training is toughest?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Just been watching the Paras tv series on ITV and looks the training for Paras is a lot more harder than the Royal Marines. Is this true because I’ve always thought Royal Marine commandos were the toughest.

If you join Paras and dont make it or quit you can transfer to another army regiment, but in the Marines if you quit or don’t make it, do you transfer to the Royal Navy?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
Is this true
No
hezzlington
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd of thought whilst both training regimes are ardous, the royal marines training is longer and the tests are whilst slower times required...much longer distances.

But ultimately who cares what i think, ive not done either and there are very few who have. Its a useless exercise to compare the royal marines/paras - both courses would be extremely challenging and to try and compare them is trying to compare something subjective and not really measurable.
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just been watching the Paras tv series on ITV and looks the training for Paras is a lot more harder than the Royal Marines. Is this true because I’ve always thought Royal Marine commandos were the toughest.

If you join Paras and dont make it or quit you can transfer to another army regiment, but in the Marines if you quit or don’t make it, do you transfer to the Royal Navy?
Neither, it's the SAS - whose philosophy is "train hard, fight easy".
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There are sites which detail the training for both. Have a look.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Bear in mind that TV shows are entertainment and editing is a thing. Royal marines commando school showed a much softer easier looking training than commando: on the front line yet both were about the same training.
Personally both look amazingly hard and I have massive respect for anyone who manages to do it. I think I read somewhere that the paras are meant to be rapid whereas marines are more stamina but idk how much truth there is to that
AlphaTango
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tootles)
Neither, it's the SAS - whose philosophy is "train hard, fight easy".
Where do you think the SAS are recruited from?
Ambitious1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Bear in mind that TV shows are entertainment and editing is a thing. Royal marines commando school showed a much softer easier looking training than commando: on the front line yet both were about the same training.
Personally both look amazingly hard and I have massive respect for anyone who manages to do it. I think I read somewhere that the paras are meant to be rapid whereas marines are more stamina but idk how much truth there is to that
I can agree with that. Paras tend to do shorter but much faster training where as the RM commandos are more endurance. But I’ve always wondered why the Royal Marines don’t do milling like the paras do?
Ambitious1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlphaTango)
Where do you think the SAS are recruited from?
Most SAS are Paras and Royal Marines although technically anyone who has served at least 3 years in the armed forces can go for SAS selection, even members of the Royal Navy including chefs and clerical staff etc who may not have had any significant infantry training.
SerBronn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I can agree with that. Paras tend to do shorter but much faster training where as the RM commandos are more endurance. But I’ve always wondered why the Royal Marines don’t do milling like the paras do?
When's the last war when British troops had to literally punch the enemy into submission? The serious reason is that milling can be divisive when you're trying to build a cohesive unit.
hezzlington
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SerBronn)
When's the last war when British troops had to literally punch the enemy into submission? The serious reason is that milling can be divisive when you're trying to build a cohesive unit.
The idea is to demonstrate you wont back down when you are being shot at. Its to test ability to ' return fire' when being surpressed and is considered the most important test apparently.
NFI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hezzlington)
The idea is to demonstrate you wont back down when you are being shot at. Its to test ability to ' return fire' when being surpressed and is considered the most important test apparently.
Amazing how other units choose to practice this skill in an uncontrolled environment down town rather than in a bully circle.
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No mention of the RAF regiment and the five miler of death though?
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why is this bs in careers?
username1119229
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Both are equally arduous & physically and mentally challenging. Not much more needs to be said.
BillBurnett
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In all fairness the Paras do ‘tabbing’ which is the equivalent to the Marines ‘Yobbing’ just as much as each other with similar weight over similar distances. Both are incredibly well trained though i’d out the Paras above the rest due to them having to do there jump training aswell as everything else
username1119229
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BillBurnett)
In all fairness the Paras do ‘tabbing’ which is the equivalent to the Marines ‘Yobbing’ just as much as each other with similar weight over similar distances. Both are incredibly well trained though i’d out the Paras above the rest due to them having to do there jump training aswell as everything else
You mean ‘Yomp’
BillBurnett
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 0902)
You mean ‘Yomp’
Yeah yomp I mean
ColinWilford8615
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What are the differences between the two.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.3%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.29%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.29%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.04%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (49)
27.53%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.54%

Watched Threads