Education Watch

ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I like learning things but I'm so f***ing sick of tests and exams. What's the point of making kids and young adults sit so many exams just to get a job? Back in the day you could get a good job with A-Levels now you need a bloody 3-year degree for a job a 15 year old could do.
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
I like learning things but I'm so f***ing sick of tests and exams. What's the point of making kids and young adults sit so many exams just to get a job? Back in the day you could get a good job with A-Levels now you need a bloody 3-year degree for a job a 15 year old could do.
Indeed, and in what kind of job are you not allowed to communicate with other people? In school it's called cheating but elsewhere it's called collaboration. Very few jobs realistically restrict the use of the internet when performing a task, and most of them don't ask for silence either. It's also rare to be given a fixed amount of 1-3 hours to complete a task.
Rainfall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I agree fully
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Scoro
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
cuz more babies have been born more competition
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ltsmith
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rainfall)
I agree fully
i bet in 10 years companies will start asking for MBAs and PhDs for admin assistant jobs.
ltsmith
Rep:
?
(Original post by Scoro)
cuz more babies have been born more competition
ltsmith
Rep:
?
why are we encouraging people to get into 50k+ debt for a 20k/year job?

in the bygone days education was free and it yielded significantly more rewards in terms of careers.
RazzzBerries
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
why are we encouraging people to get into 50k+ debt for a 20k/year job?

in the bygone days education was free and it yielded significantly more rewards in terms of careers.
Comparing time periods is always problematic though due to contextual factors. Look at Brexit. Britain was fine in the 70s wasn't it?
SJW-
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
ppl go off to study history, marketing, business, geography. then grad with 1st class from some crazy high rated uni. but so what everything you know is on my phone. not only is it on my phone but there is infinite amounts of high quality content. and knowing u can google anything. da fuk is even the point then. well u cant google how to engineer something or perform heart surety. so those folk can go to uni. but everyone else fuk it
ltsmith
Rep:
?
(Original post by SJW-)
ppl go off to study history, marketing, business, geography. then grad with 1st class from some crazy high rated uni. but so what everything you know is on my phone. not only is it on my phone but there is infinite amounts of high quality content. and knowing u can google anything. da fuk is even the point then. well u cant google how to engineer something or perform heart surety. so those folk can go to uni. but everyone else fuk it
interestingly, in the past, surgery was performed by the same people who cut your hair; it was only the physicians who received a university education. obviously that has now changed with surgeons requiring a medical degree which is for the better because i imagine surgery would have been very painful in the medieval times.
ltsmith
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
... Britain was fine in the 70s wasn't it?
idk, was it fine in the 70s?
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
idk, was it fine in the 70s?
If you think about ethnic diversity and it's relationship with socio-economic deprivation, and the social position of women, and the lack of the technology we enjoy today (like smart phones) I think I'd prefer to live in 2019 personally, and that lots of people would find issue with Britain then.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (1)
1.47%
No (67)
98.53%

Watched Threads