looloo2134
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was raised my a single father myself and have noticed that there not treads on single father 1 in 6 single parents are men.
username4402706
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wow- that is a high number. What was your experience in having a single-father household?
looloo2134
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheOldSoul)
Wow- that is a high number. What was your experience in having a single-father household?
I'm female and an adult now I had a good childhood I was brought up on a rough council estate my father was ill some of time so we were on benefits part of my childhood. I grow up and went to university the first in my family.

Some people said to me that single men should not raise children on their own and that it women who should raise children on their own. (stupid thing I ever heard). Single fathers face just as much prejudice as single mother but in a different way.

In some why being a single father is harder than being a single mother they tend to be more socially isolated than single mothers (e.g. at the school gate the mothers tend talk to each other and not talk the fathers).

Single fathers are more likely to died prematurely than single mothers
Red Rose Leftist
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by looloo2134)
I was raised my a single father myself and have noticed that there not treads on single father 1 in 6 single parents are men.
I can’t imagine being raised by a single parent. Now it’s not as bad but in the 90s, everybody would have judged you and you would have been bullied for it.
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I grew up with neither father nor mother and I haven’t done so badly. And this was in the late 40’s to 60’s.
looloo2134
Rep:
?
(Original post by Professional G)
I can’t imagine being raised by a single parent. Now it’s not as bad but in the 90s, everybody would have judged you and you would have been bullied for it.
My childhood was in 80s and 90s and people were just as judgemental as they are now about single fathers. I a couple of friends at school who were also raised by single fathers. I was never bullied for being raised by a single parent because so many children in my year were I was bullied for being on dinner ticket and not having nice clothes.
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Impart values to your kids... not your hangups. I raised my son and we still get on ok.
username4402706
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by looloo2134)
I'm female and an adult now I had a good childhood I was brought up on a rough council estate my father was ill some of time so we were on benefits part of my childhood. I grow up and went to university the first in my family.

Some people said to me that single men should not raise children on their own and that it women who should raise children on their own. (stupid thing I ever heard). Single fathers face just as much prejudice as single mother but in a different way.

In some why being a single father is harder than being a single mother they tend to be more socially isolated than single mothers (e.g. at the school gate the mothers tend talk to each other and not talk the fathers).

Single fathers are more likely to died prematurely than single mothers
That's really interesting. Thank you for sharing! Yes, I think single fathers go through just as much and sometimes more than single mothers too. Glad you feel that it was a good childhood
username4402706
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Royal Oak)
I was brought up by my dad. My parents made a ****ing disaster of it all.
That's interesting. You don't have to answer, but do you mind explaining why? As I have not had that experience, it would be good to have someone share their perspective- only if you're comfortable though as I understand this can be a sensitive topic.
username3890778
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My father died and i didnt turn out that bad. my momma is a strong independant woman
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Times have changed. When I was a kid, fathers were deemed to be unfit to look after a child on their own. The orphanage I was in had a lot of kiddies who had been either abandoned by their mothers or mother was deceased. As men were seen as the main breadwinner then, they would be unable to work and look after the child. This wasn’t uncommon.
One chap whom I remained friends with until he died, was ordered to take his daughters to the convent because the SS said he couldn’t look after them. He never saw those children again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (47)
24.23%
My career doesn't need one (27)
13.92%
I'm sick of studying (40)
20.62%
I can't find a course I want to do (5)
2.58%
I don't know enough about them (13)
6.7%
Nothing, I'm going to do it! (62)
31.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise