The Student Room Group

Are you able to claim back expenses on doctor's letters?

Hello,

I study Adult Nursing and should currently be on placement, however, I also have a very bad kidney infection and have just started my fourth course of antibiotics to try get rid of it (yay). My university said I should NOT be on placement, and will require a sick letter from my doctor until at least this course of antibiotics is finished (two weeks), however, my doctors surgery is charging me £25 for the letter.

Is this something I would be able to claim back from the university? As I personally do not need the letter, the university are the ones requesting it to authorise my absence. £25 for three measly lines saying I'll be off sick for a fortnight due to antibiotics seems a bit steep..

Any help or advice is very appreciated,

Thank you.
You could discuss the financial burden this places on you with your university (e.g. student union reps, your personal tutor, the administrative arm of the university, accessibility teams and so on) or your GP and see if they will do anything to help with it. Unfortunately I don't think it's that likely, but might be worth a shot :s-smilie:
Unfortunately not, its just policy to have medical evidence to show that you have a legitmate excuse of not doing placement until you get better. Otherwise they'll think your just making excuses not to do it.

Universities tend not to pay out of you privately pay for a medical letter to support your absence. I actually heard anyone being succcessful or even got their expenses for the letter back.

Quick Reply

Latest