GTB321
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi all,

I have applied to go to university this year to study International Business and so far I have received offers from 3 of my 5 unis of choice.

However, two of the universities that have replied are the two that I would like to go the most and those are Swansea and Portsmouth and simply put, I don't know how to decide between them,

Does anyone have advice on how to chose between two relatively similar unis or have and personal experience at either uni that could help me make a decision?

Thanks In Advance,

George
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Make sure that you use the time ucas give you to decide.
Visit both of them (even if you have visited before). Try to arrange to stay over if you can so that you can spend more time in the cities.
If you’re not sure which to choose then pick one at random and write down that you will pick that as your firm. Live with that as your decision for a month. If you’re happy with that choice after a month then it’s probably the right choice. If you’re not sure after a month then try the same thing with the other one.
When it comes to the end of April if you’re still not sure then don’t worry. If you are happy with both then you can always just pick one at random and still be happy with your choice!
GTB321
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by PQ)
Make sure that you use the time ucas give you to decide.
Visit both of them (even if you have visited before). Try to arrange to stay over if you can so that you can spend more time in the cities.
If you’re not sure which to choose then pick one at random and write down that you will pick that as your firm. Live with that as your decision for a month. If you’re happy with that choice after a month then it’s probably the right choice. If you’re not sure after a month then try the same thing with the other one.
When it comes to the end of April if you’re still not sure then don’t worry. If you are happy with both then you can always just pick one at random and still be happy with your choice!
Good idea,

Thanks for the advice
Acsel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm a student at Portsmouth. Not on a Business course but if you've got any general questions about Portsmouth I'm happy to answer them.
Chloe_maria08
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi, my advice would be to compare the cities where the universities are located and look into living costs to see which would be cheaper to live in as a student. Also, if you are going to be moving to university it is important that you enjoy the place where you will be living, look into what is in the local area and see if it appeals to you as a future student.

I would also look into how both universities deliver the course - some universities offer courses that are mainly exam based and some are mainly coursework based, looking at this can help you decide which way you would prefer to study. Furthermore, most universities offer a placement within the degree, so if experience in the business sector is important to you I would see which university offers a course with the greatest time spent on placement.

I would recommend looking on the website https://www.whatuni.com/ - I used this site to consider my options last year and it really helped. You can search your universities and the courses you are interested in and it will show you reviews left by students who are currently at the university studying the same course - they usually comment about university life, job prospects etc.

Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (130)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.17%
Not great so far... (256)
35.85%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.77%

Watched Threads