The Student Room Group

Biological Anthropolgy

I want to go to University of Dundee in Scotland to do Foensic Anthropology but I don't know which A-levels apart from biology to choose. I am going to choose English lit but don't know about the remaining choice and reserve. What would help me get in?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Look at the course requirements? Chemistry may be helpful.
Reply 2
Thanks.... let's hope i can get a 6 in maths and chem

Original post by NukaCola
Look at the course requirements? Chemistry may be helpful.
Chemistry isn't really relevant for biological anthropology - it's not biomedical sciences; outside of some basic elements of material composition and isotope dating there isn't anything relevant for the vast majority of biological anthropologists (or archaeologists, for that matter) who don't normally do especially detailed physiology work. Any option is really fine though, just pick whatever you're strongest in - if this is chemistry that's fine, if not then don't take it (particularly as A-level Chemistry is not an easy option by any means). That said, Dundee's course is in forensic anthropology, and might entail more chemical elements than a typical biological anthropology/human sciences/archaeology course as such (but I still doubt it, looking at the course structure).

Outside of that particular course, since biological anthropology is ostensibly a social science, or at least closely related to social sciences, taking a social science option might be sensible (although having essay writing background from English lit will be sufficient, you might develop the kinds of thinking used in social analysis more with a social science option). Something like sociology or psychology might be relevant and of interest, for example. Alternately, languages are always useful, particularly if you wanted to continue in academia in anthropology generally.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Chemistry isn't really relevant for biological anthropology - it's not biomedical sciences; outside of some basic elements of material composition and isotope dating there isn't anything relevant for the vast majority of biological anthropologists (or archaeologists, for that matter) who don't normally do especially detailed physiology work. Any option is really fine though, just pick whatever you're strongest in - if this is chemistry that's fine, if not then don't take it (particularly as A-level Chemistry is not an easy option by any means). That said, Dundee's course is in forensic anthropology, and might entail more chemical elements than a typical biological anthropology/human sciences/archaeology course as such (but I still doubt it, looking at the course structure).

Outside of that particular course, since biological anthropology is ostensibly a social science, or at least closely related to social sciences, taking a social science option might be sensible (although having essay writing background from English lit will be sufficient, you might develop the kinds of thinking used in social analysis more with a social science option). Something like sociology or psychology might be relevant and of interest, for example. Alternately, languages are always useful, particularly if you wanted to continue in academia in anthropology generally.

yeah i know that it is forensic and that is what i hope to do as a career path sometime after uni but my science teacher told me that they are the same thing.... This is all confusing me as before, I only knew of forensic and now there is even more. My science teacher has advised me not to choose Chemistry although it is one of my best subjects due to the work load and I'm worried that I have to apply for other places and now I'm being told not to choose it. This is my main problem.
Reply 5
biology and english literature are great subject choices so far :smile:

i think with any anthropological course, social sciences are always useful to take. psychology has overlaps with forensics and criminal cases (e.g - restorative justice, reliability of eye witness testimonies, cesare lombroso, the biological causes of criminality). other social sciences like geography can be useful for anthropology in general, covering topics like cultural diffusion, cultural erosion and colonisation.

if you have the option to take an EPQ, then take it! you can do it on the subject you wish to go into in the future.
Reply 6
Original post by m0209
biology and english literature are great subject choices so far :smile:

i think with any anthropological course, social sciences are always useful to take. psychology has overlaps with forensics and criminal cases (e.g - restorative justice, reliability of eye witness testimonies, cesare lombroso, the biological causes of criminality). other social sciences like geography can be useful for anthropology in general, covering topics like cultural diffusion, cultural erosion and colonisation.

if you have the option to take an EPQ, then take it! you can do it on the subject you wish to go into in the future.

Hi, thanks for the advice, what is an EPQ? I've never been told about anything like that before. Also, would criminology be useful seeing as I am going to put it as my reserve and it's offered at my school? Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by zoe260
Hi, thanks for the advice, what is an EPQ? I've never been told about anything like that before. Also, would criminology be useful seeing as I am going to put it as my reserve and it's offered at my school? Thanks

hi! an EPQ is an extended project that most sixth forms offer (check if yours does). it's an essay of 5000 words that you can independently complete on any topic. just like any other subject, you get a grade at the end of it (e.g - A*, A, B etc) and it is an extra qualification. as someone who has applied to study anthropology this year at uni, i found taking an epq extremely useful, as i got to show my interest in the subject directly.

here is some more information on it:
https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/what-epq-and-why-should-i-do-one-epq-advice-1
https://www.cife.org.uk/article/sixth-form-epq-extended-project-qualification/

criminology seems like a fitting choice for forensic/biological anthropology if interested in crime! biology, english lit and criminology will definitely work :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by m0209
hi! an EPQ is an extended project that most sixth forms offer (check if yours does). it's an essay of 5000 words that you can independently complete on any topic. just like any other subject, you get a grade at the end of it (e.g - A*, A, B etc) and it is an extra qualification. as someone who has applied to study anthropology this year at uni, i found taking an epq extremely useful, as i got to show my interest in the subject directly.

here is some more information on it:
https://www.ucas.com/connect/blogs/what-epq-and-why-should-i-do-one-epq-advice-1
https://www.cife.org.uk/article/sixth-form-epq-extended-project-qualification/

criminology seems like a fitting choice for forensic/biological anthropology if interested in crime! biology, english lit and criminology will definitely work :smile:

You do anthropology? Which type?

Thank you for this and i'll check on Monday
Reply 9
Original post by zoe260
You do anthropology? Which type?

Thank you for this and i'll check on Monday

i've applied for social anthropology / joint courses of law+anthropology for 2019 entry (in year 13 right now).
Reply 10
Original post by m0209
i've applied for social anthropology / joint courses of law+anthropology for 2019 entry (in year 13 right now).

good luck.... im so scared for my gcse's especially after mock resuls where i did very badly, only just passed most subjects. failed bio tho and am disappointed about that but i still have time. have fun with anthropology, tell me what it's like when you sart
Reply 11
Original post by zoe260
good luck.... im so scared for my gcse's especially after mock resuls where i did very badly, only just passed most subjects. failed bio tho and am disappointed about that but i still have time. have fun with anthropology, tell me what it's like when you sart

i understand how nerve-wracking it must be. use your mock results as motivation to do better for your real exams! go through the subjects you feel the most worried for, start refreshing your mind on the most complicated aspects and do past papers for your subjects to see where the gaps in your knowledge are. also, your teachers are there to help you! ask them for advice and help when needed.

if you need any more help regarding a levels/universities, let me know :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by m0209
i understand how nerve-wracking it must be. use your mock results as motivation to do better for your real exams! go through the subjects you feel the most worried for, start refreshing your mind on the most complicated aspects and do past papers for your subjects to see where the gaps in your knowledge are. also, your teachers are there to help you! ask them for advice and help when needed.

if you need any more help regarding a levels/universities, let me know :smile:

thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest