Brexit article, will there be riots or even a civil war? Watch

Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
May seem an overreaction but some people are convinced it could happen some riots or even a civil war according this article anyway
https://news.sky.com/story/sky-views...1ft9WsUlIyXGNw
Last edited by Rock Fan; 1 month ago
TheYearNiner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Course not. We're not savages!
DrMikeHuntHertz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Considering the MSM have apparently received D-notices regarding the Yellow Protests in France, clearly the establishment is worried.

If Brexit is betrayed then the Tory party will be replaced at the next election, rioting would be counter productive and any serious coup attempt would likely receive the Northern Ireland treatment (concentration camps and death squads).
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Remain lose a referendum we limit ourselves to peaceful protest. If leave lose one they threaten thug rule and violence. Just shows the true colours of those who voted to leave.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What I can imagine happening is something like fuel shortage riots, or food shortage riots. What are people going to do when a combination of pre-March 29th panic buying and actual shortages caused by the sudden imposition of full customs checks in France (something they are certain to do, if only to rub our noses in the cost of leaving the EU for the 'encouragement of others') leads to empty supermarket shelves, as it surely will?

The government are currently drifting without a plan and without proper measures towards exactly that scenario. Attempts to open other ports won't be ready in time and the much-discussed Ostend route has now been rejected by the Mayor and council of that port, due to them being taken over by right wing extremists. (You couldn't make it up.)

It will be interesting to see who the angry and hungry people blame when all this happens.
username1738683
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There will be riots, whether that will lead to civil war we'll see.
Occitanie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Vinny C)
Remain lose a referendum we limit ourselves to peaceful protest. If leave lose one they threaten thug rule and violence. Just shows the true colours of those who voted to leave.
Pat yourself on the back, dear chap.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Occitanie)
Pat yourself on the back, dear chap.
Oh dear... I can do far more than that.
username1738683
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, it shows how deplorable they are and how fantastic it is to have you to save the nation from them. Shows the true colours of those who voted to Remain, if we're going to be like that.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zhog)
Yeah, it shows how deplorable they are and how fantastic it is to have you to save the nation from them. Shows the true colours of those who voted to Remain, if we're going to be like that.
We were not, we are not. If Brexit was going half as well as promised I would accept the result. Problem is... it isn't!
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Blown out of proportion. One cafe owner said that.
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We were not, we are not. If Brexit was going half as well as promised I would accept the result. Problem is... it isn't!
Do you not get the sense that Brexit is going badly because half the country is trying to force it to be as bad as possible, in the hope that it will be reversed?
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Trinculo)
Do you not get the sense that Brexit is going badly because half the country is trying to force it to be as bad as possible, in the hope that it will be reversed?
Let me see... govt could get huge pat on the back with accolade and cries of well negotiated or it could be close to collapse and constitutional crisis out of choice. You guys are just as delusional as you were back in 2016.
username1738683
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Trinculo)
Half the country (just under) and 3/4 of Parliament... Not to mention the whole of the Beeb...
Last edited by username1738683; 1 month ago
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zhog)
Just to remind everyone, during the early stages of Referendum Night, after the first exit poll, when it looked like Remain was ahead, Nigel Farage threatened civil war and violence on the streets in a completely brazen (and probably illegal) way and Ian Duncan Smith said he thought there would be severe disorder in a way that sounded like he was recommending it.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All power to the soviets!
username1738683
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Just to remind everyone, during the early stages of Referendum Night, after the first exit poll, when it looked like Remain was ahead, Nigel Farage threatened civil war and violence on the streets in a completely brazen (and probably illegal) way and Ian Duncan Smith said he thought there would be severe disorder in a way that sounded like he was recommending it.
Really? Why?
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah I expect some riots. From Brexiters if its BRINO, neverendum, delayed, 2016 results ignored. From remainers if Britain leaves. Lefty thugs are the worst
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
What I can imagine happening is something like fuel shortage riots, or food shortage riots. What are people going to do when a combination of pre-March 29th panic buying and actual shortages caused by the sudden imposition of full customs checks in France (something they are certain to do, if only to rub our noses in the cost of leaving the EU for the 'encouragement of others' leads to empty supermarket shelves, as it surely will?

The government are currently drifting without a plan and without proper measures towards exactly that scenario. Attempts to open other ports won't be ready in time and the much-discussed Ostend route has now been rejected by the Mayor and council of that port, due to them being taken over by right wing extremists. (You couldn't make it up.)

It will be interesting to see who the angry and hungry people blame when all this happens.
Why would there be customs checks in France? There's no reason why the UK government would suddenly make imports more difficult, especially if it was likely to cause widespread disruption.
MrDystopia
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
Yeah I expect some riots. From Brexiters if its BRINO, neverendum, delayed, 2016 results ignored. From remainers if Britain leaves. Lefty thugs are the worst
I believe the low point of the campaign was the murder of Jo Cox MP, perpetrated by a far right adherent.

At least try to mask your bias.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (88)
14.52%
Yes - a food allergy (63)
10.4%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (15)
2.48%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (16)
2.64%
No (424)
69.97%

Watched Threads