Brexit article, will there be riots or even a civil war? Watch

Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
Yeah I expect some riots. From Brexiters if its BRINO, neverendum, delayed, 2016 results ignored. From remainers if Britain leaves. Lefty thugs are the worst
Yeah and they are the one's who moan about the right being thugs hmmmm
Neilos
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's probably the wrong sort of people. The group who use politics as an excuse to cause trouble and have a good riot don't come across as hardcore Leave voters.

There might be the odd crank group having a protest, but even those planks last week outside parliament were of the shouty, rather than the smashy-up-shops, type.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rock Fan)
Yeah and they are the one's who moan about the right being thugs hmmmm
While I don't condone violence I have some sympathy for the righty violence. After years and years of things happening without consent to have a say on something and then your view disrespected when part of the majority is a kick in the teeth.
Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
While I don't condone violence I have some sympathy for the righty violence. After years and years of things happening without consent to have a say on something and then your view disrespected when part of the majority is a kick in the teeth.
I totally agree with you there
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Riots, of course. Civil war, no.

For a lot of people, voting Leave was the peaceful protest. If that's ignored then riots are the next step. There's not enough of them for a civil war though.
Tempest II
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was under the impression that it was only old people that voted Leave (certainly judging by comments on here anyway).
When's the last time you saw old people rioting, smashing up shops etc?
Trinculo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Vinny C)
Let me see... govt could get huge pat on the back with accolade and cries of well negotiated or it could be close to collapse and constitutional crisis out of choice. You guys are just as delusional as you were back in 2016.
For months and years now, the anti-Brexit crowd has been demanding that the government reveal its entire negotiating position to the public (and of course the EU), and making all kinds of demands that essentially reinforced the EU's bargaining position. There have been EU-phile politicians travelling to the EU to brief them on how to attack Britain's position - all in the name of trying to force the UK to remain.

Under these circumstances, how was the UK ever going to end up in a position much different from where it is?

We have an offer from the EU that makes no-one happy, and is worse by every measure than staying in the EU or leaving no deal.

We have foreign states openly attacking the UK position and making all sorts of demands that are frankly nothing to do with them. The EU-frenzy that has been whipped up makes any good outcome impossible no matter which side you support.
ColinDent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Vinny C)
Remain lose a referendum we limit ourselves to peaceful protest. If leave lose one they threaten thug rule and violence. Just shows the true colours of those who voted to leave.
You seem to be hanging a lot on the words of Ms Pugh.
There will almost certainly be some serious issues surrounding those circumstances, no worse than the May Day marches or the Poll Tax riots of the eighties, were you expressing your disgust at those or are you just a hypocrite?
Eventually I believe the main protest would result in a UKIP type party gaining some serious power in the halls of Westminster, something which I'm certain you would applaud as a fantastic democratic exercise.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Tempest II)
I was under the impression that it was only old people that voted Leave (certainly judging by comments on here anyway).
When's the last time you saw old people rioting, smashing up shops etc?
Oh the older generations know how to protest ;-)

https://youtu.be/FRj2K0ulD8Q

https://youtu.be/h5iHDhJ-lis
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jameswhughes)
Why would there be customs checks in France? There's no reason why the UK government would suddenly make imports more difficult, especially if it was likely to cause widespread disruption.
Customs checks in France on goods etc from UK would possibly mean French ports etc running out of space to stack vehicles from the UK, if ferries from UK cannot be unloaded they cannot be reloaded to return, there are a limited number of ro ro berths and a finite number of ferries. What the French authorities appear to be preparing, but will likely not have in place in time in any meaningful way, is possibly holding areas where vehicles from the UK can get off the ferries to empty them so vehicles from the EU can board, for the return

The catch is if drivers (who travel with their vehicles) are tied up in the customes clearance holding positions in say France cannot get on with their journeys then they can make far fewer journeys, fewer return trips mean lower exports and imports.

One solution may be to restrict vehicles with goods leaving UK and giving priority to empty vehicles returning to the EU, a permit system,but this is not very satisfactory though could be the short term solution- in effect you would need a special permit to take goods from UK to EU until systems, and very enlarged port facilities (where possible- there is possibly not enough unused land adjacent to say French ports to in the short term- provide a workable solution) in place.

The sheer volume of current vehicle crossings is the issue, JIT supplies into the UK being delayed would cause severe issues to Uk industry, some fresh produce to say supermarkets devalues by the hour so the supply chain becomes disrupted, I would also suggest that the development of JIT over the years has substantially reduced the warehousing space available within the UK to stockpile components etc re manufacturing.

Of course if the UK also imposes checks on goods from the EU the same issues arise at this end.

Have a read of say this article from Richard North which covers the point :-

http://eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=87089
Last edited by DJKL; 4 weeks ago
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MrDystopia)
I believe the low point of the campaign was the murder of Jo Cox MP, perpetrated by a far right adherent.

At least try to mask your bias.
This was a terrible incident of course and has no place in a reasonable society, but please don't try to politicise the actions of 1 very troubled individual.
SCIENCE :D
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Nobody cares about the white working class, so wouldn't surprise me if Brexit doesn't even happen.
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The only part of the UK where we might see something vaguely resembling civil war is Northern Ireland, where no-deal could set the stage for a rise in dissident violence. I don't expect a return to Troubles-level stuff - Sinn Fein don't have the appetite to go back to that - but a noticeable rise in RIRA/CIRA/ONH activity is very possible. Plus the potential for a resurgence in Loyalist terrorism if the reaction to a no-deal Brexit is a push by the nationalist parties for a unification referendum (which, based on recent polling, would have a good chance of success).

Mainland Britain very unlikely to see that kind of organised violence. Conditions just aren't there. Pretty damn hard to get hold of the amounts of weapons you'd need, and there aren't really any pre-existing violent networks to co-ordinate such violence in the same way there are in NI, or the more organised Islamist terrorist groups. Two types of violence we possibly do have to worry about however is:
i) Lone wolf terrorism from the far-right. Think repeats of the Jo Cox killing. Has become more likely due to reckless language. On the other hand, there's a strong argument that we're probably in the most dangerous phase for that already - i.e. when Brexit is still up in the air - and that it's unlikely this will get worse once there's a clearer path forward.
ii) Rioting due to economic and state collapse. Think collapse of Stalinism in Eastern Europe (though not like Romania) but w/o the peaceful protests.

Violence of this kind is likely to be confined to England. The devolved Scottish authorities are far more competent and functional than the Westminster mess, and the Welsh will likely follow their lead too. They'll maintain control of the situation as well as they can. It's also likely to be relatively brief - sorry no-dealers, but we'll likely end up passing May's deal a few weeks after deadline date anyway.
Last edited by anarchism101; 4 weeks ago
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SCIENCE :D)
Nobody cares about the white working class, so wouldn't surprise me if Brexit doesn't even happen.
I don't think that's true on a political level at least - part of the whole Brexit thing has been a response to white working class discontent about mass inward migration in depressed towns and regions - also, MPs remain very concerned about the views of the 'wwc', not least in Labour, which is why the Labour Party haven't switched to the outright Remain position that most of their current membership favour.

That said, I think it's sad that the white working class is only seen as this basically racist (or at least, traditionalist little-Englander xenophobe) bloc, when really the underlying issues are jobs, economic isolation of parts of the country, the decline of post-industrial regions and the lack of fulfulling and well paid work for (in particular) some categories of working class men, especially those with less education.

The narrow reactionary interests who promoted Brexit (originally the idea of offshored billionaires like James Goldsmith, who cared for the British white working class about as much as they cared about the fate of the average worm) seized and abused this group for their own political ends. That's what Farage is all about too. Brexit is a huge distraction from things that really matter, but it's also a huge manipulation. If the white working class people who voted for Brexit properly understood what they were voting for, aside from bogus claims about restricting inward migration, or really saw the people behind Brexit clearly, they wouldn't have touched it with a barge pole.
Korina24
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Most people who participate in riots are young and the overwhelming amount of young people in this country want to remain, so no there will not be a civil war or even rioting if we hold a Second Referendum. It’s also important to note that the riot culture in France and Britain is very different. British people just don’t riot as much unless the issue is concerning race. I honestly can’t think of any example of when a riot broke out in the UK for political reasons in recent history.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
I don't think that's true on a political level at least - part of the whole Brexit thing has been a response to white working class discontent about mass inward migration in depressed towns and regions - also, MPs remain very concerned about the views of the 'wwc', not least in Labour, which is why the Labour Party haven't switched to the outright Remain position that most of their current membership favour.

That said, I think it's sad that the white working class is only seen as this basically racist (or at least, traditionalist little-Englander xenophobe) bloc, when really the underlying issues are jobs, economic isolation of parts of the country, the decline of post-industrial regions and the lack of fulfulling and well paid work for (in particular) some categories of working class men, especially those with less education.

The narrow reactionary interests who promoted Brexit (originally the idea of offshored billionaires like James Goldsmith, who cared for the British white working class about as much as they cared about the fate of the average worm) seized and abused this group for their own political ends. That's what Farage is all about too. Brexit is a huge distraction from things that really matter, but it's also a huge manipulation. If the white working class people who voted for Brexit properly understood what they were voting for, aside from bogus claims about restricting inward migration, or really saw the people behind Brexit clearly, they wouldn't have touched it with a barge pole.
Thanks for speaking for all us poor ill informed white working class people,
I didn't realise that in 1992 when I felt there should have been a referendum on the impending sovereignty swipe by the soon to be EU that I was being manipulated by James Goldsmith.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
Thanks for speaking for all us poor ill informed white working class people,
I didn't realise that in 1992 when I felt there should have been a referendum on the impending sovereignty swipe by the soon to be EU that I was being manipulated by James Goldsmith.
I wasn't attempting to speak up for white working class people, I was pointing out a flaw in the argument that they are not represented - and it was about men, not 'people'.

You got your idea for a referendum in '92, right about the time that Goldsmith's heavily funded Eurosceptic Party was regularly in the media and right about the time when the Mail, which is owned by another offshored billionaire family and the Sun, which is owned by another offshored billionaire, started regularly calling for it. Must be a total coincidence though.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I wasn't attempting to speak up for white working class people, I was pointing out a flaw in the argument that they are not represented - and it was about men, not 'people'.

You got your idea for a referendum in '92, right about the time that Goldsmith's heavily funded Eurosceptic Party was regularly in the media and right about the time when the Mail, which is owned by another offshored billionaire family and the Sun, which is owned by another offshored billionaire, started regularly calling for it. Must be a total coincidence though.
Don't know, I read and have always read the mirror
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Korina24)
Most people who participate in riots are young and the overwhelming amount of young people in this country want to remain, so no there will not be a civil war or even rioting if we hold a Second Referendum. It’s also important to note that the riot culture in France and Britain is very different. British people just don’t riot as much unless the issue is concerning race. I honestly can’t think of any example of when a riot broke out in the UK for political reasons in recent history.
See post #30
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Quick update, after a small amount of googling I've discovered you must be correct, I was indeed heavily influenced by James Goldsmith's heavily funded Referendum Party when opposing our entry into the political entity that is now the EU because not only did he campaign vociferously, he also invented a time machine and travelled back to 2 years before his party was formed, my bad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (49)
9.37%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.68%
No, but I want to start (188)
35.95%
No, I am unable to (122)
23.33%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.68%