Choosing between Exeter, Lancaster and Sussex

Watch
Random7777
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I am an international student from India and have received offers from Exeter, Lancaster and Sussex for PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics). I am mainly confused between Exeter and Lancaster and do not know which to put as my firm choice. I believe that Exeter may be more prestigious and thus, better for employment later on, however, Lancaster is better ranked and I like the course better at Lancaster as it has modules focused on India and offers a placement year. Does anybody have any advice that could help with my decision? Also if anybody is studying PPE at either University and is willing to speak with me, I would really appreciate it.
Random7777
Rep:
?
Hi, I am an international student from India and have received offers from Exeter, Lancaster and Sussex for PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics). I am mainly confused between Exeter and Lancaster and do not know which to put as my firm choice. I believe that Exeter may be more prestigious and thus, better for employment later on, however, Lancaster is better ranked and I like the course better at Lancaster as it has modules focused on India and offers a placement year. Does anybody have any advice that could help with my decision? Also if anybody is studying PPE at either University and is willing to speak with me, I would really appreciate it.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The “prestige” of Exeter is largely a smokescreen of marketing and a ruthless vice chancellor who closed dozens of courses. 20 years ago it was considered a party university and ranked well below lancaster. It’s not bad (it’s a very good university) but the prestige factor is not something that should convince you to go there. It’s not significantly better than lancaster - particularly if you prefer the course at lancaster.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Random7777)
Exeter and Lancaster are both excellent Unis, although Exeter tends to be the better known of the two, being bigger and Russell Group. Lancaster's reputation has improved a lot in the last few ten years or so. They both have attractive campuses (people rave about Exeters but personally I prefer Lancasters) - but have quite a different "feel" so it would be great to visit if you can.

I'm sure that both of their PPEs are well organised and interesting, but you say that you slightly prefer Lancaster's module choice. Another factor to take into account is the places where you would be living for 3 years as Exeter is a bigger city with lots more shops and restaurants, etc. Also, Lancaster is in the North of England and Exeter is in the West, if that makes any difference. Both places have relatively low crime rates compared to larger cities - in Lancaster particularly, the local people are very friendly.

Have you tried posting this question on the Exeter and Lancaster sub forums? That would be a way of possibly getting some advice from people currently doing the PPE at both Unis.
Random7777
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
The “prestige” of Exeter is largely a smokescreen of marketing and a ruthless vice chancellor who closed dozens of courses. 20 years ago it was considered a party university and ranked well below lancaster. It’s not bad (it’s a very good university) but the prestige factor is not something that should convince you to go there. It’s not significantly better than lancaster - particularly if you prefer the course at lancaster.
Yeah, I think, I am going to go with Lancaster, it's just the employment prospects that are causing a slight concern
Random7777
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Exeter and Lancaster are both excellent Unis, although Exeter tends to be the better known of the two, being bigger and Russell Group. Lancaster's reputation has improved a lot in the last few ten years or so. They both have attractive campuses (people rave about Exeters but personally I prefer Lancasters) - but have quite a different "feel" so it would be great to visit if you can.

I'm sure that both of their PPEs are well organised and interesting, but you say that you slightly prefer Lancaster's module choice. Another factor to take into account is the places where you would be living for 3 years as Exeter is a bigger city with lots more shops and restaurants, etc. Also, Lancaster is in the North of England and Exeter is in the West, if that makes any difference. Both places have relatively low crime rates compared to larger cities - in Lancaster particularly, the local people are very friendly.

Have you tried posting this question on the Exeter and Lancaster sub forums? That would be a way of possibly getting some advice from people currently doing the PPE at both Unis.
Hi, thanks a lot, I will post it in the subforums. As for the reputations I am just unsure about whether Exeter being more known could translate to greater employment prospects.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Random7777)
Hi, thanks a lot, I will post it in the subforums. As for the reputations I am just unsure about whether Exeter being more known could translate to greater employment prospects.
I'm not sure about this but I suspect that being the bigger Uni, Exeter would have better links with employers and greater employment prospects. You can look at Unistats for basic destination info, but another idea would be to email both departments and ask them for advice re employment prospects. They should keep destination information going back several years, or they might refer you to the University careers service for that information. Either way, you are entitled to ask about their links with industry and recent graduate destinations.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
If only OP were applying 20 years ago, then your point might be relevant.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (61)
22.26%
Excited but a bit nervous (125)
45.62%
Not bothered either way (35)
12.77%
I'm really nervous (53)
19.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed