The Student Room Group

Are more A-levels better for applying to colleges?

I'm a student starting my last year of high school this year and thinking about applying to Imperial. I finished four International A-levels in Y12 (A*A*AA) but I'll be resitting at least one since I need A* in Maths for the course I want, and I might resit the other anyway for four A*s. I'll also be taking Further Maths this year (although I think I'd only be able to get an A at most?) My school could probably let me take another A-level, but I'm wondering if it'll be any good getting 6 A-levels total when the typical offers for Imperial only need four. Would it look good on my app maybe? Or should I just focus on my resits for this year and finish with five anyway?

I was also wondering if it matters to colleges if I resit my A-levels for better grades?
Original post by goengsi
I'm a student starting my last year of high school this year and thinking about applying to Imperial. I finished four International A-levels in Y12 (A*A*AA) but I'll be resitting at least one since I need A* in Maths for the course I want, and I might resit the other anyway for four A*s. I'll also be taking Further Maths this year (although I think I'd only be able to get an A at most?) My school could probably let me take another A-level, but I'm wondering if it'll be any good getting 6 A-levels total when the typical offers for Imperial only need four. Would it look good on my app maybe? Or should I just focus on my resits for this year and finish with five anyway?

I was also wondering if it matters to colleges if I resit my A-levels for better grades?

Depends where you are applying and for what.

It may be different in other countries but if you are thinking of UK

5 or 6 A levels doesn't "look good" over and above great grades achieved from 3/4, especially if it then requires resits to achieve the necessary grades in specific subjects.

Resitting a few unit exams within a normal 2 year course of A level study is generally ok but some universities will require 3 full A level results to be awarded in the same exam period so an offer could be based on your maths resit, further maths and new subject A level grade with the original A* not included.

I recommend you contact your target universities and ask for their opinion of your plans
In all honesty I don’t know how you’d manage to get 6 A Levels. 4 A*s will always look better than a few As and a B. It’s about quality not the quantity. That and A Levels are really tough. It’s stressful enough with three lol
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
Depends where you are applying and for what.

It may be different in other countries but if you are thinking of UK

5 or 6 A levels doesn't "look good" over and above great grades achieved from 3/4, especially if it then requires resits to achieve the necessary grades in specific subjects.

Resitting a few unit exams within a normal 2 year course of A level study is generally ok but some universities will require 3 full A level results to be awarded in the same exam period so an offer could be based on your maths resit, further maths and new subject A level grade with the original A* not included.

I recommend you contact your target universities and ask for their opinion of your plans

Original post by nightisdark
In all honesty I don’t know how you’d manage to get 6 A Levels. 4 A*s will always look better than a few As and a B. It’s about quality not the quantity. That and A Levels are really tough. It’s stressful enough with three lol

Thanks so much for the advice guys! I probably won't be picking up another A-level and will start asking specific colleges about their preferences instead. Quality over quantity naturally makes so much sense but the amount of A-levels some people I know have been doing gave me a little anxiety hahah. Really appreciate your input!

Quick Reply

Latest