do ranking and fame of a uni matter? Watch

jasxjasmine
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m an international student and I’ve applied for occupational therapy courses. Before applying to the five unis I’ve done some research and found out that most of the russell group unis do not open courses related to health care. I was disappointed cos I only had a few high-ranked and relatively well-known unis to choose from. In my home country, employers look into unis’ fame and reputation when they assess the candidates. Some even say that if you’re planning to study abroad in uk, make sure that you pick uni from russell group for a better career prospect. So i had even thought about giving up on ot, and applied for language/social science courses instead, so that i’d have a chance to get into a university from russell group. ( at last i decided to stick with ot as i want to help people in need in the future ) So, i’m wondering what do people in uk think, do ranking, fame and reputation of a university matter? I also want to know about uea and essex’s reputations in uk, thank you!

p.s. english is not my first language, sorry if i’ve made any grammatical mistake or wrong choice of words!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
quirky editor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Russel group is mainly a research group, it doesn't mean their course or teaching will be better. As long as your course is course is accredited by the apporpriate body it makes little difference.
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
At first... yes. Then you must prove yourself in the world unless you go into politics. I am good on grammar if you need any help.
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Bleh. People’s lack of understanding about Russel group universities is frustrating. It’s a self made list, being Russel group doesn’t in itself mean better teaching standards. People shouldn’t be advising that “if you’re gonna bother to study abroad make it this type of uni”

UEA has a really good reputation, despite not being a Russel group (but definitely should be) it’s my local uni and I’ve been round it a few times, Essex I looked round with my sixth form and enjoyed the open and friendly feel, it’s not got a solid ‘rep’ but if you went there I’m sure you’d be happy! Study what course you’d like to, don’t fuss too much about university standards.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by FloralHybrid)
Bleh. People’s lack of understanding about Russel group universities is frustrating. It’s a self made list, being Russel group doesn’t in itself mean better teaching standards. People shouldn’t be advising that “if you’re gonna bother to study abroad make it this type of uni”

UEA has a really good reputation, despite not being a Russel group (but definitely should be) it’s my local uni and I’ve been round it a few times, Essex I looked round with my sixth form and enjoyed the open and friendly feel, it’s not got a solid ‘rep’ but if you went there I’m sure you’d be happy! Study what course you’d like to, don’t fuss too much about university standards.
Ty... to succeed at politics you must go into the shady world of debating circles of how to convince people black is white. Pity how most of our leaders are trained to be accomplished liars.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jasxjasmine)
I’m an international student and I’ve applied for occupational therapy courses. Before applying to the five unis I’ve done some research and found out that most of the russell group unis do not open courses related to health care. I was disappointed cos I only had a few high-ranked and relatively well-known unis to choose from. In my home country, employers look into unis’ fame and reputation when they assess the candidates. Some even say that if you’re planning to study abroad in uk, make sure that you pick uni from russell group for a better career prospect. So i had even thought about giving up on ot, and applied for language/social science courses instead, so that i’d have a chance to get into a university from russell group. ( at last i decided to stick with ot as i want to help people in need in the future ) So, i’m wondering what do people in uk think, do ranking, fame and reputation of a university matter? I also want to know about uea and essex’s reputations in uk, thank you!

p.s. english is not my first language, sorry if i’ve made any grammatical mistake or wrong choice of words!
Healthcare courses do tend to be a lower ranked universities it is true. But it doesn't matter as much as it would if it was say sociology or history. Yes ranking does matter but with OT I believe you get a professional qualification and that trumps the university ranking . I am a nurse and with my professional qualification I have never been unemployed.

That said, we get nursing students through our hospital and I have to say that the quality of teaching they get is atrocious. It is a very low ranked uni.

UEA has a medical school attached, which in my mind make it quality.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

UEA has a better reputation than Essex University in the UK, although this may not matter for OT.

More importantly, Norwich is a much,much nicer place to live than Colchester!

I would definitely put UEA before Essex
Last edited by harrysbar; 4 weeks ago
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Look at Brighton, Brunel, Cardiff, uea, Liverpool , st George's, southampton
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (115)
59.28%
No (79)
40.72%

Watched Threads