Choosing Between Exeter and Lancaster Watch

Random7777
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I am an international student from India and have received offers from Exeter, Lancaster and Sussex for PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics). I am mainly confused between Exeter and Lancaster and do not know which to put as my firm choice. I believe that Exeter may be more prestigious and thus, better for employment later on, however, Lancaster is better ranked and I like the course better at Lancaster as it has modules focused on India and offers a placement year. Does anybody have any advice that could help with my decision? Also if anybody is studying PPE at either University and is willing to speak with me, I would really appreciate it.
L2000
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi!

Think its a bit late for someone to reply but I'll help if you still haven't decided.

So I am not a current students but did apply to Lancaster for Accounting and Economics (got offers from Loughborough, Kent and LSBU for similar subjects). I had the same kind of question, but between Lancaster and Leeds.

I visited Lancaster on the 16th of March and found it very beautiful next to the peak district. The town isn't very big but calm and pretty. But something I found very interesting was that the Lancaster Management School was willing to let the undergraduates do both a study abroad programme and a work placement. So you'll go to another country to study in your second year and in the third year, you'd be off to work. The last year will be at Lancaster.

I thought that this was one of the best opportunities that I can get and having attended a taster lecture, although it was dull and boring (was about health economics-not my fav), it was clear that the professors were experienced and knew what they were talking about. And I understand that you'd have interesting topics that you want to study. I am not classified as an international student but I am from Sri Lanka, so I am interested in studying more of development economics, which is why I thought that I'd take a masters later on for development economics. And from what I learnt, you can choose a preferred module(s?) on your undergraduate first year in Lancaster, which is great.

I haven't visited Leeds for the Applicant day yet, but if Leeds cant keep up with these opportunities that Lancaster gives, I might go for Lancaster, regardless whether its a Russell Group or not (Lancaster is one of the best non-Russell Group Universities you can study at). Sorry I cant give any info about Exeter though.
(Original post by Random7777)
Hi, I am an international student from India and have received offers from Exeter, Lancaster and Sussex for PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics). I am mainly confused between Exeter and Lancaster and do not know which to put as my firm choice. I believe that Exeter may be more prestigious and thus, better for employment later on, however, Lancaster is better ranked and I like the course better at Lancaster as it has modules focused on India and offers a placement year. Does anybody have any advice that could help with my decision? Also if anybody is studying PPE at either University and is willing to speak with me, I would really appreciate it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Exeter Campuses Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Exeter Campuses Undergraduate
    Sat, 1 Jun '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (141)
18.24%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
10.09%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (132)
17.08%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (110)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (76)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (236)
30.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed