The Student Room Group

UCAS Submitted on 16th...

I finished my UCas about 1/2 weeks before the deadline and got it back 1 week ago. I fixed the missing information on the 10th. However, I could not get into contact with my tutor for those 5 days...

When my teacher finally added the reference it was the 16th one day late. Everyone in my class has already got their offers and im sitting here expecting to get nothing can anything be done?

CT edit: if anyone else is in the same boat, there's a big thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5147764
(edited 5 years ago)
I read that you can still send your application but it won't be considered equally with the rest applications before 15th, by the way I recommend you to talk with ucas and get properly information for your situation.

Have a good day
Original post by OxyMoron95
I finished my UCas about 1/2 weeks before the deadline and got it back 1 week ago. I fixed the missing information on the 10th. However, I could not get into contact with my tutor for those 5 days...

When my teacher finally added the reference it was the 16th one day late. Everyone in my class has already got their offers and im sitting here expecting to get nothing can anything be done?

There's a big thread from last year from people who have had the same issue: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5147764

Which universities have you applied to...? :smile: It's not too late to apply, but you've missed the 'equal consideration' cut off. There's some more information here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/what-to-do-if-you-miss-the-15-january-ucas-deadline-and-still-want-to-apply-to-uni
Your school, as most do, probably operates an internal deadline for submitting on time. This is because writing references and checking details takes a lot of time and you can't expect your teachers to do it short notice.

You application will certainly not be thrown in the bin so don't worry too much but the onus is partly on you here.

What courses/universities have you applied to?

Did your teacher apologise/did you meet all your school/college deadlines?
Reply 5
Maybe you can get your teacher to explain your circumstances to the universities and ask them to give you equal consideration

CT edit: if anyone else is int he same boat, there's a big thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5147764

I would advise you to contact the universities you applied to and let them know of the situation. I think they should be made aware that the late arrival of the reference was not of your doing. [I am sure many students experience this]
Original post by Accacia123
I would advise you to contact the universities you applied to and let them know of the situation. I think they should be made aware that the late arrival of the reference was not of your doing. [I am sure many students experience this]

It doesn't really look good to be e-mailing a university you wish to attend, trying to rid yourself of accountability and putting blame on your teacher.
I can understand the frustration but I don't think this would help the OP's situation.

To OP:

Some responsibility needs to be taken in that it was left quite late and it wasn't fair to expect your teacher to be ready in-time, especially when you almost weren't.

I think in any case, you've missed the 'equal consideration' deadline.
As far as i'm aware, all of your universities will still receive your application but they aren't obliged to consider it, if they choose not to.

You may be given some leniency considering it was *only* a day after the deadline but it's out of your hands now.
(edited 5 years ago)
Largely depends on what universities you applied to and what course it is.

Whatever you do just dont email the university saying; "My teacher is at fault" - it is going to do you absolutely 0 favours.

CT edit: if anyone else is in the same boat, there's a big thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5147764

The question is why you waited until the 10th of January. Teachers have lives to, you can’t expect them to drop everything because you decided to take as long a spots I left to finish your application.

Yes something can be done:

If you don't get any offers you cna reapply next year or choose to apply to anothe country where application deadlines are later.

However, you are stll likely to recieve an offer if the university is not the "op" due to having nt filling places, eespecially if your application is strong.

Also to everyone, OP needs not multiple [eople syaing again and again that it is OP's fault for leaving only 5 days for a reference. I agree that it is short but now OP learned form the mistake no need to rub in (how frustrating).
Get the teacher or a senior member of staff to email on your behalf and CC you in. It looks much better that way. All the best for the future
Yeah contacting your universities is going to be your best bet like others have mentioned. It might also be worth filing a complaint internally so that this does not happen to people in the future too if you want to :smile:

Quick Reply