A level maths- should i resit? Watch

pleasereplylol
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm on a gap year because wasn't sure what to study. Still not completely sure what I will be studying. It may be science or may be maths/economics. Either way I will need to recap some maths.

I needed 81 UMS in core 4 to get an A* overall but just flopped the exam more than i was expecting. Not sure whether to resit. Will cost me about £33? my reasons for resitting isn't only because an A* is quite achievable, only 1 exam out of the 6 to resit and it's not like i need 90something ums either.. but also i need to keep my maths going anyway so will have to do some revision whether i sit the exam or not. If i don't resit i will have more time to self teach some AS further maths and things instead though. Also, for me to recap c4 it will take just 1 day- but to get it up to exam standard will take much longer.

Also, I don't really need a higher grade so i'm not sure if it's just a waste of money and time.

Do i need to let the unis i've applied to know (i've told them my achieved grades and wouldn't want it to be made part of my offer). Will they find out i've sat it? they might not like 'resits' but i'm just doing it for 'fun', not for entry? What if I do badly, will it matter? what happens if I don't turn up for the exam- is that bad?

The only reason that might happen is if i decide i haven't revised enough.

Also- i'm planning to go on holiday 1/2 weeks before the exam- is this a bad idea? I also work full time. How long do you reckon it will take me to revise and what would your plan be- content for february and march (just a few hours) and then April and May doing past papers? Then holiday. Should I be good to go??

Opinions please.
pleasereplylol
Rep:
?
anyone?? if i'm doing it i need to pay today
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by pleasereplylol)
anyone?? if i'm doing it i need to pay today
It’s your last chance to do it
Personally I think it’s worth it, it would look slightly better in your CV and might make a slight difference if applying for a graduate scheme in future
The benefits aren’t huge
Reading your post though it doesn’t sound/feel like you are really up for it and so it would be a waste of money
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by gdunne42; 4 weeks ago
pleasereplylol
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
It’s your last chance to do it
Personally I think it’s worth it, it would look slightly better in your CV and might make a slight difference if applying for a graduate scheme in future
The benefits aren’t huge
Reading your post though it doesn’t sound/feel like you are really up for it and so it would be a waste of money
The best result is the one which counts doesn't it? Cos obviously I don't want to lose my A if I resit and don't get any higher.

I don't mind doing it but i don't really plan on letting it compromise my life much- I will only spend a few hours on it a week. maybe a month before the exam i will obviously step it up a bit more if i don't think i know it back to front. I think i will just give it a shot because it's not something I mind doing- it will brush me up on my integration/ differentiation at least which is something i'll need before going to uni.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The best result is the one which counts doesn't it? Cos obviously I don't want to lose my A if I resit and don't get any higher.

I don't mind doing it but i don't really plan on letting it compromise my life much- I will only spend a few hours on it a week. maybe a month before the exam i will obviously step it up a bit more if i don't think i know it back to front. I think i will just give it a shot because it's not something I mind doing- it will brush me up on my integration/ differentiation at least which is something i'll need before going to uni.
Yes, your best mark counts so you can't lose your grade A.
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

You still keep your existing grade regardless of the outcome.
You will presumably get unconditional offers from your applications as you havent told them you are retaking anything. Deciding to resit should not change their offer. You should inform the Universities and UCAS of the change explaining your main motivation is brush up skills prior to Uni.
https://www.ucas.com/content/request...ur-application
pleasereplylol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Yes, your best mark counts so you can't lose your grade A.
thanks. also, so far i've told my unis that I've got a*aa (so A in maths) and i don't plan on telling them about the re-sit? do i need to tell them/ will they find out on results day and care? I don't want an A* to be part of my offer as I'm only really doing it for myself, to practice and put it on my CV in the future.
pleasereplylol
Rep:
?
You still keep your existing grade regardless of the outcome.
You will presumably get unconditional offers from your applications as you havent told them you are retaking anything. Deciding to resit should not change their offer. You should inform the Universities and UCAS of the change explaining your main motivation is brush up skills prior to Uni.
https://www.ucas.com/content/request...ur-application
Do i have to let them know? lol
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do i have to let them know? lol
Technically yes.
If you are worried it might affect your offer contact their admissions staff and tell them you are thinking about it for the reasons you have given and ask them.
pleasereplylol
Rep:
?
Technically yes.
If you are worried it might affect your offer contact their admissions staff and tell them you are thinking about it for the reasons you have given and ask them.
Ok. I've applied for some courses but really am not sure whether I will take any of them as not 100% sure if it's what i'd like to study. might have to enter ucas extra or clearing anyway. I'll ring up but might be a waste of time lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (33)
11.07%
I used to but I don't now (10)
3.36%
No, but I want to start (111)
37.25%
No, I am unable to (64)
21.48%
No, I chose not to (80)
26.85%