128gb SSD/8gb ram Vs 256gb SSD/4gb ram? Watch

Nat900
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello,

I am in desparate need for a new laptop for Uni as my old one broke.

I cannot decided between two laptops.

The HP Pavilion x360 14-cd0505sa is a 2-in-1 touchscreen with an i5 8250U processor, 128gb SSD/8gb ram (£499). The HP 14-ck0520sa is a standard laptop, also has an i5 7200U processor but with 256gb SSD/4gb ram (£399).

I am a student who loves to multitask, has many tabs open whilst doing research and plays music alongside this. I don't play games on my laptop anymore but am open to going back to that, and may download Adobe creative cloud in the future.

I am leaning more to the one with 256gb SSD due to the £100 difference but unsure cause the ram is quite small.

Any advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thank you xx

Edit: I should mention that I graduate in June but technically finish Uni is April so looking for something that I can use to finish my dissertation and other assignments on, but also use into the future. I am always on the move and so I would like to have a laptop that’s lighter, has a quicker speed etc.

My old laptop was a Lenovo G50-70, but I cannot remember the ram (will check when I get home but I think it might have been 8gb/1tb, has an i3 processor). But I got it for about £320/50 in 2015.
Last edited by Nat900; 4 weeks ago
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Nat900)
Hello,

The HP Pavilion x360 14-cd0505sa is a 2-in-1 touchscreen with an i5 processor, 128gb SSD/8gb ram (£499). The HP 14-ck0520sa is a standard laptop, also has an i5 processor but with 256gb SSD/4gb ram (£399).

I am a student who loves to multitask, has many tabs ooen whilst doing research and plays music alongside this. I don't play games on my laptop anymore but am open to going back to that, and may download Adobe creative cloud in the future.

I am leaning more to the one with 256gb SSD due to the £100 difference but unsure cause the ram is quite small.

Thank you xx
Get the 256GB one. If you're working a lot, it's more important to be able store work and materials than it is to be able to run a million different programs - 4GB will happily suffice for Office and a few browser sessions. Hell I have a two-year-old Lenovo cheap crap-o-majig with 2GB of RAM, which I use as a knockabout for writing, and that works fine.
DanSquirrell
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey!

I would strongly suggest you look into seller refurbished Lenovo Thinkpads on eBay which are a business grade laptop. They often are a few years old and have some honest signs of use, however, the bang for buck of these laptops is amazing. You can get a 5th gen i5 with 8gb RAM plus a 256gb SSD for less than either of those new laptops. The Thinkpads are ideal for university studies, and they would likely see you into years after finishing, like mine did! Only deal breaker is that older models don't have touchscreen and don't double as a tablet. Ultimately depends on what you want from your laptop!

Dan
Nat900
Rep:
?
That’s what I was thinking - I guess the ram has me worried and I don’t remember how much ram was on my old laptop, but it stored a lot. Thank you so much for your reply.
Willhodg
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would probably go for the 256gb one because the ram can easily be increased if you feel that 4gb isn’t enough, you’re probably also going to want the extra storage space
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Nat900
Rep:
?
(Original post by DanSquirrell)
Hey!

I would strongly suggest you look into seller refurbished Lenovo Thinkpads on eBay which are a business grade laptop. They often are a few years old and have some honest signs of use, however, the bang for buck of these laptops is amazing. You can get a 5th gen i5 with 8gb RAM plus a 256gb SSD for less than either of those new laptops. The Thinkpads are ideal for university studies, and they would likely see you into years after finishing, like mine did! Only deal breaker is that older models don't have touchscreen and don't double as a tablet. Ultimately depends on what you want from your laptop!

Dan
Ahh I’ve been told to avoid refurbished systems so I never considered one.

So my old laptop is a Lenovo g50-70 and was about 15.7 inches/2.5kg, so I want something lighter and smaller. Aren’t think pads heavy? To be fair, I’m basing it on the ones I’ve seen people use at uni so I’m sure there are smaller ones.

Also, I’m in my last year with my last assignment due in April so I only have about 3 months left of uni hahah but I get your point. I guess I’m looking at something that I can use on the go cause I’m always travelling, but the touch screen doesn’t really matter to me. I have a tablet but it’s old and not the best so i guess it’s a bonus but it’s not necessary.

Thank you so much for your reply, I’ll have a look into it.
Nat900
Rep:
?
(Original post by Willhodg)
I would probably go for the 256gb one because the ram can easily be increased if you feel that 4gb isn’t enough, you’re probably also going to want the extra storage space
Thank you so much for your reply. That is true.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd value the 8GB of RAM more than the extra 128GB of storage. Generally I don't recommend 4GB nowadays, it'll function but 8GB is ideal. Can't really recommend either laptop without knowing the exact specs though (processor in particular). And as easy as it is to upgrade RAM, understandably not everyone is comfortable doing so

But there's really no reason not to have both. This £500 HP Pavilion has both a 256GB SSD and 8GB of RAM. You don't get the 2 in 1 touch screen functionality, but you do get the ideal hardware.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello,

The HP Pavilion x360 14-cd0505sa is a 2-in-1 touchscreen with an i5 processor, 128gb SSD/8gb ram (£499). The HP 14-ck0520sa is a standard laptop, also has an i5 processor but with 256gb SSD/4gb ram (£399).

I am a student who loves to multitask, has many tabs ooen whilst doing research and plays music alongside this. I don't play games on my laptop anymore but am open to going back to that, and may download Adobe creative cloud in the future.

Thank you xx

Edit: I should mention that I graduate in June but technically finish Uni is April so looking for something that I can use to finish my dissertation and other assignments on, but also use into the future. I am always on the move and so I would like to have a laptop that’s lighter, has a quicker speed etc.

My old laptop was a Lenovo G50-70, but I cannot remember the ram (will check when I get home but I think it might have been 8gb/1tb, has an i3 processor). But I got it for about £320/50 in 2015.
£500 is enough to get you both 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD, no need to choose between them. Also make sure whatever you buy has an i5-8250U processor.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...84651-pdt.html
Nat900
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
I'd value the 8GB of RAM more than the extra 128GB of storage. Generally I don't recommend 4GB nowadays, it'll function but 8GB is ideal. Can't really recommend either laptop without knowing the exact specs though (processor in particular). And as easy as it is to upgrade RAM, understandably not everyone is comfortable doing so

But there's really no reason not to have both. This £500 HP Pavilion has both a 256GB SSD and 8GB of RAM. You don't get the 2 in 1 touch screen functionality, but you do get the ideal hardware.
Yeah I don't think the 2 in 1 is all that necessary so I am cool having to do without. Thank you so much for the link! Really appreciate it.

(Original post by Gofre)
£500 is enough to get you both 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD, no need to choose between them. Also make sure whatever you buy has an i5-8250U processor.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...84651-pdt.html
Thank you for linking that laptop - I didn't even see it. I honestly really appreciate it!
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you both for linking me to those laptops - I didn't even see them. I honestly really appreciate it!
Last I checked they're available in 3 other colours if you don't want the silver. They're really well priced at the moment, since this sort of laptop is normally in the £550-600 range. If you've got the £500 budget, I can't think of anything that'd be better for you.
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Acsel)
I'd value the 8GB of RAM more than the extra 128GB of storage. Generally I don't recommend 4GB nowadays, it'll function but 8GB is ideal. Can't really recommend either laptop without knowing the exact specs though (processor in particular). And as easy as it is to upgrade RAM, understandably not everyone is comfortable doing so.
This basically, I made the choice for more RAM over SSD space for mine and bought a wee 128GB USB stub for extra stuff, makes it really easy for me to backup files and move to desktops as well.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
This basically, I made the choice for more RAM over SSD space for mine and bought a wee 128GB USB stub for extra stuff, makes it really easy for me to backup files and move to desktops as well.
This is the best way to do it, assuming of course that you make sure you back your files up in case you lose or damage the external USB or HDD.

Of course cloud storage is also an option, especially at uni where a lot of students get large amounts of free storage.
Nat900
Rep:
?
(Original post by StriderHort)
Thank you for the reply. I was considering this as I do the same thing already, all my files are backed up on a USB. So this is good to know.
(Original post by Acsel)
This is the best way to do it, assuming of course that you make sure you back your files up in case you lose or damage the external USB or HDD.

Of course cloud storage is also an option, especially at uni where a lot of students get large amounts of free storage.
Also that as well! So would a laptop with 256gb ssd/8gb ram be slower than one with 128gb ssd/8gb ram out of curiosity?
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Also that as well! So would a laptop with 256gb ssd/8gb ram be slower than one with 128gb ssd/8gb ram out of curiosity?
Not in any noticeable way. Assuming everything were the same apart from one laptop having a 256GB SSD and the other only 128GB, you won't notice any meaningful difference. Storage size on the whole doesn't have any real world impact on speed until you start looking at much larger capacities.

The only real way speed would be affected is if the 2 SSDs were totally different models. If the 128GB SSD was SATA and the 256GB SSD was PCIe then you'd notice a difference since SATA and PCIe are totally different standards with different speeds. There are factors that can affect speed, but generally normal users don't need to worry about them.

This was an overly technical answer and realistically 2 identical laptops that only have different sized storage devices should operate similarly. For the most part, storage is really only about your convenience, rather than the speed of your device.
Nat900
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
Not in any noticeable way. Assuming everything were the same apart from one laptop having a 256GB SSD and the other only 128GB, you won't notice any meaningful difference. Storage size on the whole doesn't have any real world impact on speed until you start looking at much larger capacities.

The only real way speed would be affected is if the 2 SSDs were totally different models. If the 128GB SSD was SATA and the 256GB SSD was PCIe then you'd notice a difference since SATA and PCIe are totally different standards with different speeds. There are factors that can affect speed, but generally normal users don't need to worry about them.

This was an overly technical answer and realistically 2 identical laptops that only have different sized storage devices should operate similarly. For the most part, storage is really only about your convenience, rather than the speed of your device.
Awesome. Nah a technical answer is fine, it’s good to know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads