Shavina21
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
The European Union adopted a (fictitious) directive in 2007 which prohibits van drivers from driving more than 9 hours a day. The deadline for implementing the directive was January 2010. The UK government has refused to implement what it considers to be a ‘nanny state’ legislation. There is already a (fictitious) British legislation encouraging employers to minimise as much as possible stress and fatigue in employment.

Geoff works for the Post Office. Due to pressure from his manager to meet deadlines, he has been known to drive for 9 or 10 hours a day without a break. Sebastian works for ‘Parcel Delivery Ltd’. The company is well known for its slogan that it can deliver any parcel in the blink of an eye. Around the Christmas period, Sebastian normally finds himself on the road for more than 11 hours. Geoff and Sebastian feel absolutely exhausted and suffer from various forms of stress. Geoff is told that if he cannot meet his deadlines he will be dismissed. A common friend tells them about the directive.

Advise Geoff and Sebastian whether the directive has direct effect and what other legal avenues they may pursue against their employers or the state on this matter. Your answer should consider direct effect, indirect effect and state liability.
Mimir
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Please read the sticky for this section, don't just post a question scenario.

Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (79)
13.57%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (11)
1.89%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (147)
25.26%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (47)
8.08%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (280)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.09%

Watched Threads