Which method to use statistics Watch

samzdadon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone, your help would be greatly appreciated

- Out of Chi-square test, correlational analysis, t-test, ANOVA & regression analysis, which inferential statistic method would be best suited to use for these 2 questions ?

- Is there a gender difference in job satisfaction, when controlling for the potential influence of neuroticism on job satisfaction?

- Which is a stronger predictor of psychological ill-health: job satisfaction or neuroticism?

Your help would be greatly appreciated
chooseanother
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Most likely a t-test for the first one, depending on the sample size, the distribution of your data and the experimental design.

A regression for the second one I think because you’re trying to make predictions rather than just looking at differences/correlations.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
samzdadon
Rep:
?
(Original post by chooseanother)
Most likely a t-test for the first one, depending on the sample size, the distribution of your data and the experimental design.

A regression for the second one I think because you’re trying to make predictions rather than just looking at differences/correlations.
Thank you so much man
Gregorius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by samzdadon)
Hi everyone, your help would be greatly appreciated

- Out of Chi-square test, correlational analysis, t-test, ANOVA & regression analysis, which inferential statistic method would be best suited to use for these 2 questions ?

- Is there a gender difference in job satisfaction, when controlling for the potential influence of neuroticism on job satisfaction?

- Which is a stronger predictor of psychological ill-health: job satisfaction or neuroticism?

Your help would be greatly appreciated
There is not enough information here to answer the question. Both would be natural candidates for some sort of regression analysis; what sort would depend on the data type and distribution of the variables concerned.

For example, in the first, if job satisfaction is measured on a continuous scale, then linear regression would be the obvious candidate, subject tot he usual requirements of the normality and homoscedasticity of the residuals.

For the second, you need to be very careful about what you mean by "stronger predictor". This does not (or should not!) mean the one with the smallest p-value!
samzdadon
Rep:
?
Thank you for the help, unfortunately these are the questions I have been given to answer with a data set by my lecturers. They have been vague
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (229)
59.95%
No (153)
40.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed