My mum is kinda strict Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
The area I live in is not very safe so my mum didn't let me go out at all unless she or another adult was with me and my friends not until now and I am seventeen. She also always came with me when I went shopping so I never got to have my own style because I always got what she told me to get. Otherwise, she would get very defensive. Now, whenever I go out with my friends and stuff I get really nervous because I am not used to it and I get overwhelmed when I am shopping. Is this weird what can I do?
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
The area I live in is not very safe so my mum didn't let me go out at all unless she or another adult was with me and my friends not until now and I am seventeen. She also always came with me when I went shopping so I never got to have my own style because I always got what she told me to get. Otherwise, she would get very defensive. Now, whenever I go out with my friends and stuff I get really nervous because I am not used to it and I get overwhelmed when I am shopping. Is this weird what can I do?
It's not weird but it's not really healthy either. As you get more freedom, you'll be able to come out of yourself more and get more comfortable. Remember to look after yourself though.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Tootles)
It's not weird but it's not really healthy either. As you get more freedom, you'll be able to come out of yourself more and get more comfortable. Remember to look after yourself though.
Ok thank you
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Just do short trips out to start with so that you can get used to being out and about. It will get easier as you do each trip. You will be OK.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Seamus123)
Just do short trips out to start with so that you can get used to being out and about. It will get easier as you do each trip. You will be OK.
Once I walked to a small shop near my house and I jumped out of my skin when this guy was walking towards me. As he got closer I realised he was blind and was just walking.
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You start off easy and slow. The more you do it, the easier it gets to shake those feelings off.
And sometimes those feelings have been really useful to me, as you are on 'alert' and can avoid a situation when you need to. You'll find you'll automatically respond to such situations faster as you're in tune with them.
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Once I walked to a small shop near my house and I jumped out of my skin when this guy was walking towards me. As he got closer I realised he was blind and was just walking.
You really will be OK. I suffered from agoraphobia some years ago and going out was very scary to begin with. You just need some confidence. If you are in town and you are feeling scared, just sit on a bench somewhere or head for the nearest cafe and sit down until you have collected yourself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads