Trying to befriend someone but she's ultra-religious: help? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
hi,

ive been making conversation with this person who I used to volunteer with, the thing that I didn't know about her is that she is now ultra religious (she wasn't when I started volunteering), claims to have been demonically possessed and then found God. She's inviting me to bible studies and she seems to bring up God in every conversation we've had. I don't want to offend her but I'm an atheist and I don't know how to go about it. She is a nice person otherwise, I didn't really make an effort to talk to her while we were working together which I regret and I wanted to make up for it.
Do you think she'd try to convert me, or could we just be friends without religion entering into it? She posted on Facebook months ago that she was very lonely, so I reached out to her, but since then she's received a ton of replies on that post and she's also engaged. My personal situation is also very hard and I don't know if I'd be able to open up to her. So what do I do?
gordonfreeman_HL
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
hi,

ive been making conversation with this person who I used to volunteer with, the thing that I didn't know about her is that she is now ultra religious (she wasn't when I started volunteering), claims to have been demonically possessed and then found God. She's inviting me to bible studies and she seems to bring up God in every conversation we've had. I don't want to offend her but I'm an atheist and I don't know how to go about it. She is a nice person otherwise, I didn't really make an effort to talk to her while we were working together which I regret and I wanted to make up for it.
Do you think she'd try to convert me, or could we just be friends without religion entering into it? She posted on Facebook months ago that she was very lonely, so I reached out to her, but since then she's received a ton of replies on that post and she's also engaged. My personal situation is also very hard and I don't know if I'd be able to open up to her. So what do I do?
Honestly I don't really think you can connect with her given how she is extremely religious and seems to bring religion to every conversation. I myself am not really that religious but when someone bases their state of mind and ideas around religion, it's hard for someone who doesn't share that to connect with them. Maybe I'm wrong. What's your heart and mind telling you?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by gordonfreeman_HL)
Honestly I don't really think you can connect with her given how she is extremely religious and seems to bring religion to every conversation. I myself am not really that religious but when someone bases their state of mind and ideas around religion, it's hard for someone who doesn't share that to connect with them. Maybe I'm wrong. What's your heart and mind telling you?
I can see your point but I really don't know, maybe I need to get to know her better to make a decision, she seemed really level-headed to me when I started volunteering but then obviously something happened to her that I was unaware of and now most of her posts on facebook are about Jesus and the word of Gospel.
If I can't connect to people who have ideas that are contrary to my own then I am going to have a very lonely existence indeed. Trouble is I was in a mental health unit recently but I feel unable to tell her this, and I have nothing else going on in my life so I don't know what I would talk about. I told her I was moving there for a job lol, so if she asks me further questions about that, i'd just be lying even more. I just don't want her to try and 'save' me.
gordonfreeman_HL
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I can see your point but I really don't know, maybe I need to get to know her better to make a decision, she seemed really level-headed to me when I started volunteering but then obviously something happened to her that I was unaware of and now most of her posts on facebook are about Jesus and the word of Gospel.
If I can't connect to people who have ideas that are contrary to my own then I am going to have a very lonely existence indeed. Trouble is I was in a mental health unit recently but I feel unable to tell her this, and I have nothing else going on in my life so I don't know what I would talk about. I told her I was moving there for a job lol, so if she asks me further questions about that, i'd just be lying even more. I just don't want her to try and 'save' me.
I understand what you mean. I've been in my life having issues connecting with others. Maybe she's not the one to discuss with. I'm not saying that befriending her is anything wrong but there are good people in this world worth connecting with. I wish you the best of luck in life even if it may seem bleak at first.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by gordonfreeman_HL)
I understand what you mean. I've been in my life having issues connecting with others. Maybe she's not the one to discuss with. I'm not saying that befriending her is anything wrong but there are good people in this world worth connecting with. I wish you the best of luck in life even if it may seem bleak at first.
I have troubles connecting with people too, I'm always the first one to reach out and no one is really interested, or else they're too busy. It's been a problem for all of my life.
Anonymous #1
Bump.
gordonfreeman_HL
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Bump.
Reality is reality. It may be hard but I believe you can still find good people in this world. It may take days, months or possibly years. I know it must be hard for you but hopefully things turn out for the better.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (7)
11.29%
Yes - a food allergy (5)
8.06%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (3)
4.84%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (4)
6.45%
No (43)
69.35%

Watched Threads