Help me gain weight Watch

_princessxox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm 5'4, 49.5kg, 19 years old (female obviously)
I'm trying to reach 57kg/120 pounds but it was a struggle to even get to what I am currently.
Last summer I was 54kg/118 pounds and I want to go back to around that but I'm struggling to gain weight again. Ive increased my calorie intake and I make sure I'm eating plenty of protein etc.
I work out twice a week, before it was 3 times a week, not too much cardio & more weights.
Help pls
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by _princessxox)
I'm 5'4, 49.5kg, 19 years old (female obviously)
I'm trying to reach 57kg/120 pounds but it was a struggle to even get to what I am currently.
Last summer I was 54kg/118 pounds and I want to go back to around that but I'm struggling to gain weight again. Ive increased my calorie intake and I make sure I'm eating plenty of protein etc.
I work out twice a week, before it was 3 times a week, not too much cardio & more weights.
Help pls
Why? Your weight it right for your height.

One question: why've you given your height in Imperial but your weight in Metric? Make your bloody mind up
PorkBunFun
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A good start would be to calorie count and make sure you're not just eating more but eating more of the right things. For exercise it is important to stay on top of your physical health so I would say continue working out but I would go back to the 3x a week routine you previously had. I'd also invest in protein shakes before you work out to help boost your energy and help provide your body with nutrients needed for muscle growth. I can't think of anything else that may help you since I'm the total opposite, taking a long time to lose weight.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
_princessxox
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tootles)
Why? Your weight it right for your height.

One question: why've you given your height in Imperial but your weight in Metric? Make your bloody mind up
I had like (imo) an ideal figure last year, my proportions were what I've always wanted but after summer I kept losing weight

haha sorry
Tootles
Report 4 weeks ago
I had like (imo) an ideal figure last year, my proportions were what I've always wanted but after summer I kept losing weight

haha sorry
It's much better that you're healthy, and it sounds like you're just naturally slim. Don't try and change that
_princessxox
Rep:
?
(Original post by PorkBunFun)
A good start would be to calorie count and make sure you're not just eating more but eating more of the right things. For exercise it is important to stay on top of your physical health so I would say continue working out but I would go back to the 3x a week routine you previously had. I'd also invest in protein shakes before you work out to help boost your energy and help provide your body with nutrients needed for muscle growth. I can't think of anything else that may help you since I'm the total opposite, taking a long time to lose weight.
I'm doing all of that except the 3x a week, I don't want to end up losing too much bc my ordinary day is quite active anyway
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You say you've increased your calorie count, but what to? I had a friend who insisted that she was eating "loads" and had increased it loads, but it was still only about 1100 cals a day which I think I have before about 10am ha ha (exaggeration, obviously).
_princessxox
Rep:
?
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
You say you've increased your calorie count, but what to? I had a friend who insisted that she was eating "loads" and had increased it loads, but it was still only about 1100 cals a day which I think I have before about 10am ha ha (exaggeration, obviously).
Usually I eat 1500, so I've increased it to 1800
PorkBunFun
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Okay! If you're fairly physically active I would focus on just weightlifting and callisthenics to build up your muscles (less/no cardio). Eat fattier meats like pork or steak and even when it comes to things like yougurt, full fat is the way to go. Also if you are increasing your calorie count make sure it's by a substantial amount and you stick to it. Once your body gets used to it, it will store your energy normally but if you revert to your older habits you will lose a lot of weight (probably what happened post-summer).
poohyy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In order to gain weight it is rather simple. You MUST achieve a caloric surplus. This means consuming more calories than you burn both as basal metabolic rate and energy expenditure through exercise. This may involve counting calories, then so be it. Find caloric dense foods you like, download my fitness pal and enjoy the journey!
_princessxox
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tootles)
It's much better that you're healthy, and it sounds like you're just naturally slim. Don't try and change that
I'd still be healthy at 57kg but thank you x
poohyy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So what I'm saying is simply increasing your calories doesn't necessarily work. if you're not gaining weight then you haven't increased them by enough and you're still in a deficit. The only way be be sure is by counting.
···
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
sounds like a job for 16 inch pizzas sprinkled with olive oil :yy:
_princessxox
Rep:
?
(Original post by PorkBunFun)
Okay! If you're fairly physically active I would focus on just weightlifting and callisthenics to build up your muscles (less/no cardio). Eat fattier meats like pork or steak and even when it comes to things like yougurt, full fat is the way to go. Also if you are increasing your calorie count make sure it's by a substantial amount and you stick to it. Once your body gets used to it, it will store your energy normally but if you revert to your older habits you will lose a lot of weight (probably what happened post-summer).
I am focusing on weight lifting I do less cardio, but I won't stop bc I don't want to become unfit at all. I don't eat much red meat it makes me feel sick, but I am eating a lot of protein, nutrients etc. I'm slowly increasing my calorie intake but maybe I need to eat more.
_princessxox
Rep:
?
(Original post by poohyy)
In order to gain weight it is rather simple. You MUST achieve a caloric surplus. This means consuming more calories than you burn both as basal metabolic rate and energy expenditure through exercise. This may involve counting calories, then so be it. Find caloric dense foods you like, download my fitness pal and enjoy the journey!
So what I'm saying is simply increasing your calories doesn't necessarily work. if you're not gaining weight then you haven't increased them by enough and you're still in a deficit. The only way be be sure is by counting.
I am eating enough to have a surplus of 300 calories
_princessxox
Rep:
?
(Original post by ···)
sounds like a job for 16 inch pizzas sprinkled with olive oil :yy:
Ew no thanks
poohyy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am eating enough to have a surplus of 300 calories
Then be patient, you'll gain weight. It's impossible not to.
_princessxox
Rep:
?
Then be patient, you'll gain weight. It's impossible not to.
I don't seem to be I've been trying for months and only gained around 5 pounds so far lol
poohyy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't seem to be I've been trying for months and only gained around 5 pounds so far lol
That's strange. My best suggestion would be to weigh yourself weekly, if your weight isn't increasing consistently then I'd have to suggest increasing your surplus further. There are many supplementary variables like metabolism/ how often you work out/ macros of what you eat and their thermogenic effects, but ultimately it's a numbers game with regards to calories when it comes to weight gain/ loss.
kurro
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You seem to be following the correct process.

But all I can think is that you are not eating enough calories. Many people believe they are eating a lot to gain weight, but in reality you are not.
Calculate your BMR, then do it from there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (7)
11.29%
Yes - a food allergy (5)
8.06%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (3)
4.84%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (4)
6.45%
No (43)
69.35%

Watched Threads