How do A* students revise bio ocr new spec 2018 Watch

Stormragexox
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey guys I have flopped the 2018 paper for my alevel mocks and I found it really hard ended up getting 34 percent in one paper and 53 percent in another paper. People still managed to get A and A*s for both papers. I practiced the specimen papers before the mocks but still achieved a really bad grade any advice? I went from being one of the high grade acheivers in my class to one of the lowest ;(

I feel so damn fed up now... I still don't understand the questions in the paper and feel so stupid and worthless
Last edited by Stormragexox; 4 weeks ago
Stormragexox
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stormragexox)
Hey guys I have flopped the 2018 paper for my mocks and I found it really hard ended up getting 34 percent in one paper and 53 percent in another paper. People still managed to get A and A*s for both papers. I practiced the specimen papers before the mocks but still achieved a really bad grade any advice? I went from being one of the high grade acheivers in my class to one of the lowest ;(

I feel so damn fed up now... I still don't understand the questions in the paper and feel so stupid and worthless
Anyone? sorry I am just so freaked out by such low percentages cuz i ushallly get 75 percent literally questioning my future rn
Lily_hxoxo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey I'm Lily,

I am doing the biology OCR spec, the best way to get the top grades is to test yourself over and over again. I often write my notes down in class on my laptop which allows me to go slightly ahead when everyone else is still writing therefore you can have a head start on the next section. When it comes to revision, I make diagrams on the areas I don't understand and then test myself on each topic as a whole. There's plenty of questions on physics and maths tutour that don't follow the specific specification but allow you to think outside the box. Also, try to get used to how the papers are marked as it is very specific. For example, for 6 mark questions attempt the question, mark it and then rewrite it using similar key wording to the markscheme. It may of just been a one off test, ask your teacher where you went wrong!
Stormragexox
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lily_hxoxo)
Hey I'm Lily,

I am doing the biology OCR spec, the best way to get the top grades is to test yourself over and over again. I often write my notes down in class on my laptop which allows me to go slightly ahead when everyone else is still writing therefore you can have a head start on the next section. When it comes to revision, I make diagrams on the areas I don't understand and then test myself on each topic as a whole. There's plenty of questions on physics and maths tutour that don't follow the specific specification but allow you to think outside the box. Also, try to get used to how the papers are marked as it is very specific. For example, for 6 mark questions attempt the question, mark it and then rewrite it using similar key wording to the markscheme. It may of just been a one off test, ask your teacher where you went wrong!
Thx XD well i did get a bit anxious seeing the new spec questions so I was too scared to even practice the old spec papers this time which was very stupid of me how do you make sure you touch all the topics like i make so many revision lists that are incomplete and end up losing it
oxyies
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not sure if GCSE or a Level you are talking about but for me, im doing it at A level.
I read and almost go through the whole lesson before, going through the textbook pages and wiriting my notes. That way i have it ready i can listen to my teacher properly and understand it better, while knowing some content already. That helps in lessons and it double clarify's your understanding, and you can add notes of what they tell you. Saves so much time.
For revision, physics and maths tutor is the best. Unfortunately biology is very content heavy, its something we have to get used too. Flashcards, stick them up on your wall too read everyday, practise papers, read the spec ( type into google Biology A level/GCSE ocr spec it comes straight up).
Lily_hxoxo
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thx XD well i did get a bit anxious seeing the new spec questions so I was too scared to even practice the old spec papers this time which was very stupid of me how do you make sure you touch all the topics like i make so many revision lists that are incomplete and end up losing it
Usually I go over the things I find most difficult to get my head around or things that I know will go into a lot of detail such as immunity etc
Dmackz
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey guys I have flopped the 2018 paper for my mocks and I found it really hard ended up getting 34 percent in one paper and 53 percent in another paper. People still managed to get A and A*s for both papers. I practiced the specimen papers before the mocks but still achieved a really bad grade any advice? I went from being one of the high grade acheivers in my class to one of the lowest ;(

Look at every single mark scheme you can get your hands on, look at the questions it asks and note down the answers to the questions, remember those because most biology questions will ask the same questions (if there is no question context you have to link to) another thing: if you don't already, then make sure to answer the questions in bullet points, that's going to stop you from waffling about rubbish. Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads