How likely am I to get into Queen Mary University of London?

Watch
zainabaazadeh
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I'm an international student and have given my GCSES/IGCSES and am currently in A2, preparing for my final A'LEVELS. I have applied to Queen Mary for World history with a year abroad. My O'level/GCSE grades were A*A*AABBBC and IGCSES were AA. My A'LEVEL predicted grades are: A*AB. I don't have very strong extracurriculars but have mentioned in my PS that I have been published in National newspapers for writing articles on minority rights and feminism. Can I receive an offer?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
British universities don't really care that much about extra-curriculars or GCSEs (with some exceptions). You've got good predicted grades and you're not applying to an especially competitive course. Very likely you'll get in. Offer rates tend to be around 80%.
MrMmstr
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zainabaazadeh)
Hi, I'm an international student and have given my GCSES/IGCSES and am currently in A2, preparing for my final A'LEVELS. I have applied to Queen Mary for World history with a year abroad. My O'level/GCSE grades were A*A*AABBBC and IGCSES were AA. My A'LEVEL predicted grades are: A*AB. I don't have very strong extracurriculars but have mentioned in my PS that I have been published in National newspapers for writing articles on minority rights and feminism. Can I receive an offer?
Highly likely. Your GCSEs are very good and I am guessing your A level predicteds are a grade above the requirements??? Extra curricular activities are irrelevant to be honest, all they care about is that you have an interest in the subject. Many people will tell you that you have to play an instrument or dance or some other crap, but that is archaic.
People used to do that when UCAS offers were calculated on UCAS tarrif points, as it meant that they could effectively get in to a uni that asks for higher grades becuase they built up points on extra-curricular activities. Now though, all decent unis give offers based on grades, not UCAS points.
This means that many people's extra-curricular activities barely get mentioned on their statements. I did very few activities, and didn't mention all of them, and subsequently got invited for an interview on the OPA scheme and given an unconditional. This isn't available for internationals though, but it proves that extra curricular activities are not very important. They go first and foremost on grades, and then your interest in your chosen subject conveyed through your statement.
CarefreeDreams
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Very good chance of getting in.
I done 14 GCSEs: 2 A*'s, 6 A's, 6 B's, 1 c.
AS: ABC (Psychology, History, English Lit)
A2: BBB originally, I was 1, 2 and 4 marks away in all of my subjects! I've never been so mad. Remarked and got AAB (this was after I got into QMUL)
For History I got into QMUL through clearing. I hadn't got into my firm, but got into my insurance (realised I didn't actually want to go there, so rejected all my offers). Called up QMUL directly, first got through to a very unhelpful student call helper who said I wouldn't be able to get in with my grades, because it didn't meet the requirements (understandable but I was literally a mark away). Called again, got through to a sympathetic student caller who patched me through to the directory of History at QMUL, we had about a 20 minute conservation where I got a chance to explain my situation, a little bit about me and what course I wanted to do at QMUL. Safe to say it worked, I'm an undergraduate studying History at QMUL. Perseverance is the key!!
zainabaazadeh
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you all for your help! I actually ended up receiving offers from all 5/5! Now I'm just hoping I can meet my conditions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (130)
59.09%
No (48)
21.82%
Not sure (42)
19.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise