School experience Watch

annamarshall2727
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I'm a second year looking to apply for my PGCSE next year- I have experience working with kids through voluntary tutoring programs however I cant find any schools that will offer me school experience. Most of them say they only offer experience to third years/ PGCSE applicants, but I want some kid of experience before I apply.
Does anyone have any tips? or know of any schools in the West Midlands area that offer work experience to undergraduates?
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My tip would be to take a break after uni and do something completely different. Your only experience of life is education yet you are setting yourself up for a job preparing kids for a world you have no experience of. Go and live a bit. You have the rest of your life to sell your sole to the teaching devil.
SarcAndSpark
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by annamarshall2727)
Hi, I'm a second year looking to apply for my PGCSE next year- I have experience working with kids through voluntary tutoring programs however I cant find any schools that will offer me school experience. Most of them say they only offer experience to third years/ PGCSE applicants, but I want some kid of experience before I apply.
Does anyone have any tips? or know of any schools in the West Midlands area that offer work experience to undergraduates?
I think if you're looking for formal experience mainly observing in the classroom, schools are limited in what they can offer people. A lot of schools aren't keen to have a random person on site- I was only able to get in school experience through personal contacts. Is there anyone (e.g. a friend's parent, a friend of a friend etc, who you could approach?)

Some schools may be able to accommodate regular volunteers (this is more common in primary schools than secondary schools). If you're able to do something like this it will look great on your application too.

If you're going to be applying to a shortage subject, some unis offer programs to get undergrads into schools.

As a current PGCE student who did other things first, I do sort of agree that working elsewhere does probably help- the PGCE year is very full on and being used to things like how work works and dealing with a commute etc can help. It also gives you a sense of perspective about what is/isn't reasonable to do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (97)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (71)
10.87%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.45%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (18)
2.76%
No (451)
69.07%

Watched Threads