I owe money... But don't know if I should pay. Watch

MrAnonymous129
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I owe a garage money, but I don't know if I should actually pay. I owe £55, and have told them that I would pay, but they were rude and unprofessional, and after explaining my situation, they threatened me with legal action. Many people tell me that I should not pay and that I should take this to the newspapers, but I don't want to be facing a legal lawsuit and whilst sometimes I am determined to pay them, on the date, that I agreed to pay them, I don't know if I actually should.
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
if you don't pay someone whom you owe then you are a parasite to society
Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MrAnonymous129)
I owe a garage money, but I don't know if I should actually pay. I owe £55, and have told them that I would pay, but they were rude and unprofessional, and after explaining my situation, they threatened me with legal action. Many people tell me that I should not pay and that I should take this to the newspapers, but I don't want to be facing a legal lawsuit and whilst sometimes I am determined to pay them, on the date, that I agreed to pay them, I don't know if I actually should.
Just pay up, you are legally required to.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They have done you a service, why wouldn't you pay just because they were rude? Some people are rude or they have a bad day, not a reason for you to keep the money.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Bio 7; 4 weeks ago
MrAnonymous129
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rock Fan)
Just pay up, you are legally required to.
Decided, that I am going to pay, but not the full amount, I'm going to knock £5 off.
Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Decided, that I am going to pay, but not the full amount, I'm going to knock £5 off.
Don't be silly about it, just pay the full amount and stop being petty.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You don't pay and you risk legal action. They may decide to make a test case of you. Then you get fines and legal costs and victim surcharge and pssibly a criminal record. You then have problems getting loans, mortgages and will not get into the USA if you apply. Just pay the bill and stop being a prat. They are trying to make a living and you are just being a little twerp ( would use a more colourful word but I will get the mods on me - because snowflakes cannot handle it)
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Alright.. I'll bite..

Why are you refusing to pay?
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Pay the full amount and don't use them again. If they did the job properly then you owe them payment for it.

You could write a letter about the rudeness to head office.
pandoma
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
try watching that programme called "you can't pay - we'll take it away", people get done for the weirdest and seemingly harmless things
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Good luck with that. They can still take you to court for incomplete payment you know.
eez
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Decided, that I am going to pay, but not the full amount, I'm going to knocitk £5 off.
perhaps this petty attitude is why they were rude to you in the first place?
Simbasoul
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was just about to say that!! MrAnonymous129, what grounds do you have for knocking off £5 (which is a pathetically small amount - not enough to make a statement, or enough to "hurt" the garage in any way, but enough to make you look a bit of an idiot!)? If your grounds are that they were rude, I would have to say, I hope they haven't given you your car back because there aren't many garages that will let you take your car away whn you haven't paid what you owe them. Rudeness is not a reason to withhold payment. You say that you "explained your situation" and they then threatened you with legal action - the only reason I can see them doing this is that your situation was that you could not pay the bill - in which case they are quite right to threaten you with legal action - and quite right to expect payment.
nevershear
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I mean you don't sound like a lovely person to do business with either. My garage aren't super friendly to me but their work is excellent, they deliver on their promises and they are consistent, so I pay in full every time on the spot.
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Pay up! If you don’t, somewhere down the line, you will have it marked against you and your credit could be affected.
Besides, it’s sleazy not to pay. Someone ends up out of pocket when people don’t pay what they owe.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I hope you get a dig off the grease monkey in charge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (7)
11.29%
Yes - a food allergy (5)
8.06%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (3)
4.84%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (4)
6.45%
No (43)
69.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed