Confidence Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I don't know why I get so nervous when I have to do a speech in front of my class. My voice gets all shaky- like really badly and noticeably which means I cant pronounce certain words because I sound so weak and scared. My hands start shaking and my heart beats so loudly inside my chest. Its a horrible feeling and I don't feel nervous when putting my hand up/ answering questions in front of the class but I dont know how to stop this nervousness i get before a speech - does anyone have any tips?
RazzzBerries
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Have you tried using a stress ball? Squeeze the thing to release nerves before the speech and have a friend by your side during the prep. If it's the audience that puts you off, try looking straight ahead at a fixed item (e.g a wall or a clock) but just on top of their heads so it looks like you're speaking to the audience. Practice where you know you're likely to trip up and highlight those key areas. Drink a sip of water before you go on.

Good luck, you've got this! :hugs:
ArnoldK
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I used to be the same. I think it's because you feel like everyones attention is on you, whereas if you're sitting down answering a question not everyones staring at you.

If it's a presentation you have to do just try and practice exactly what you're going to say so that you're basically just reciting it to the class and you're completly confident in what you're saying. That way you just get into a kind of rythm. Practice brings confidence.

I also used to get bad dry mouth from being nervous which also made my voice go croacky so I'd put a piece of chewing gum in my mouth and that would stop it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by RazzzBerries)
Have you tried using a stress ball? Squeeze the thing to release nerves before the speech and have a friend by your side during the prep. If it's the audience that puts you off, try looking straight ahead at a fixed item (e.g a wall or a clock) but just on top of their heads so it looks like you're speaking to the audience. Practice where you know you're likely to trip up and highlight those key areas. Drink a sip of water before you go on.

Good luck, you've got this! :hugs:
Thank you, that helps I have my speech on Thursday so I'll stare at the wall at the back of the class x
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ArnoldK)
I used to be the same. I think it's because you feel like everyones attention is on you, whereas if you're sitting down answering a question not everyones staring at you.

If it's a presentation you have to do just try and practice exactly what you're going to say so that you're basically just reciting it to the class and you're completly confident in what you're saying. That way you just get into a kind of rythm. Practice brings confidence.

I also used to get bad dry mouth from being nervous which also made my voice go croacky so I'd put a piece of chewing gum in my mouth and that would stop it.
Thank you! Yes exacly, its because I don't like everyone staring at me when I have to stand up at the front. My speech is on Thursday and I've been practising it every day.. hopefully I'll feel confident with it and won't go all shaky in front of everyone.
Asclepius.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I used to have the same problem, I think it stems from focussing too much on your minor mistakes instead of all the successes, very few people will actually be paying you their full attention.

Any 'obvious' mistakes you make may not even be noticeable to everyone else, try to not to over-rehearse what you are going to say as then any slip-up will set you back much further and remember to relax your chest and shoulder before speaking.

Hope this helps
A.H7
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I don't know why I get so nervous when I have to do a speech in front of my class. My voice gets all shaky- like really badly and noticeably which means I cant pronounce certain words because I sound so weak and scared. My hands start shaking and my heart beats so loudly inside my chest. Its a horrible feeling and I don't feel nervous when putting my hand up/ answering questions in front of the class but I dont know how to stop this nervousness i get before a speech - does anyone have any tips?
Honestly I get so nervous too. When I did Higher Drama I was shaking and panicked, ended up getting stage fright in the class assessment. Then when it came to the exam I ended up learning my lines so much that I probably could say them now, and this was like 3 or 4 years back. The nerves were still there but the fear of messing up - and that’s the main thing imo, was now gone. Even now when I go out to do speeches in front of 300 people, I get so nervous, but nerves are normal. However one thing that helps a lot is walking. When you are in front of everyone don’t stand in one place let the floor be your stage. Just like a teacher doesn’t stand in one place they move about. That helps ALOT loosens you up makes you look more casual and you feel it too. Just don’t fall into the trap of pacing, that’s all. Use your arms naturally. And most importantly practice practice practice. Doing it in front of a mirror helps
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Chioru'
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have the exact same problem and, as far as i know, a lot of people do. In my case it mostly depends on what i'm talking about and if i'm passionate about that subject or not. The anxiety might never go away but with practice you learn how to control those emotions. In terms of advice, try opening up with a joke or two, have confidence in what you're saying and maybe practice on your friends/family. You will most likely be nervous for the first minute or two but it gets better after that.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Asclepius.)
I used to have the same problem, I think it stems from focussing too much on your minor mistakes instead of all the successes, very few people will actually be paying you their full attention.

Any 'obvious' mistakes you make may not even be noticeable to everyone else, try to not to over-rehearse what you are going to say as then any slip-up will set you back much further and remember to relax your chest and shoulder before speaking.

Hope this helps
Thanks, yes that helps
Anonymous #1
(Original post by A.H7)
Honestly I get so nervous too. When I did Higher Drama I was shaking and panicked, ended up getting stage fright in the class assessment. Then when it came to the exam I ended up learning my lines so much that I probably could say them now, and this was like 3 or 4 years back. The nerves were still there but the fear of messing up - and that’s the main thing imo, was now gone. Even now when I go out to do speeches in front of 300 people, I get so nervous, but nerves are normal. However one thing that helps a lot is walking. When you are in front of everyone don’t stand in one place let the floor be your stage. Just like a teacher doesn’t stand in one place they move about. That helps ALOT loosens you up makes you look more casual and you feel it too. Just don’t fall into the trap of pacing, that’s all. Use your arms naturally. And most importantly practice practice practice. Doing it in front of a mirror helps
Thank you!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Chioru')
I have the exact same problem and, as far as i know, a lot of people do. In my case it mostly depends on what i'm talking about and if i'm passionate about that subject or not. The anxiety might never go away but with practice you learn how to control those emotions. In terms of advice, try opening up with a joke or two, have confidence in what you're saying and maybe practice on your friends/family. You will most likely be nervous for the first minute or two but it gets better after that.
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads