Maximilian118
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi I just have some questions about the RAF AST Test.

To my knowledge, there are two? One multi-choice test that you take at your local recruitment office and then you're sent to OASC (Officers and Aircrew Selection Centre) where I'll take another more lengthy one?

Does anyone have the following information?:

How long is each of the 9 sections of the AST test?
(mainly want to know how long I have to complete the numerical section)

Will I have pen and paper to show my workings out and do they want you to use them?

Many thanks,
Max
marveldinosaur
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I believe it's only for certain roles that you have to do the one at OASC as well as the AST at your local AFCO, maybe enquire at your AFCO as they will know everything!

I can't quite remember how long each section was specifically, some are longer than others but I remember in the numerical part feeling under pressure as I struggled to complete within the time, but I passed for every role avaliable and didn't complete alot of the questions (especially those on Work Rate) so don't worry about not completing every thing, just focus on taking your time and getting the answers you do complete correct! 😊

You are given a pencil, and for the numerical section (only this one, someone correct me if I'm wrong) you are given scrap paper to write on. This is binned after and doesn't count for anything like it does in gcse.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Maximilian118)

To my knowledge, there are two? One multi-choice test that you take at your local recruitment office and then you're sent to OASC (Officers and Aircrew Selection Centre) where I'll take another more lengthy one?
For sake of not getting them mixed up;

AST - Airman Selection Test - that first one.
CBAT - Computer Based Aptitude Test - the one at Cranwell.
RAF_Adam
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

Does anyone have the following information?:

How long is each of the 9 sections of the AST test?
(mainly want to know how long I have to complete the numerical section)

Will I have pen and paper to show my workings out and do they want you to use them?

Many thanks,
Max
Hi

You won't take both. Which role have you applied for? If you've applied for an Airmen role, you'll take the AST (clue is in the title).

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Maximilian118
Rep:
?
(Original post by RAF_Adam)
Hi

You won't take both. Which role have you applied for? If you've applied for an Airmen role, you'll take the AST (clue is in the title).

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
I've applied for Pilot and WSO. I thought I had to go to my local AFCO for the AST and then once I pass that on to Cranwell for my CBAT?

Also, would you be able to give me a gestimate of how long they will take to reply to my full application?
I assume they'll reply via email?
Lastly, what are the chances of my application being picked up in the first place? Is it a bit of a lottery or? I have a pretty clean medical background etc..

Thanks,
Max
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I've applied for Pilot and WSO. I thought I had to go to my local AFCO for the AST and then once I pass that on to Cranwell for my CBAT?

Also, would you be able to give me a gestimate of how long they will take to reply to my full application?
Lastly, what are the chances of my application being picked up in the first place? Is it a bit of a lottery or? I have a pretty clean medical background etc..

Thanks,
Max
What do you mean being picked up?

Every application will be processed to the point of failure / completion.

And a medical history is either clean or it isn't!
RAF_Adam
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

Thanks,
Max
Hi

If you've applied for Pilot then you won't sit the Airmen Selection Test, you'll do the CBAT at RAF Cranwell.

It's currently taking between 4-6 weeks to process applications once submitted and you'll be advised once it has. It will be via your candidate portal, so keep an eye on that.

As has already been stated, your application will progress unless you're found to have a reason for it to be closed down. As long as you meet all of the entry and eligibility criteria you can apply, it's how you do at OASC that will determine whether you get to be a pilot in the RAF.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Maximilian118
Rep:
?
(Original post by RAF_Adam)
Hi

If you've applied for Pilot then you won't sit the Airmen Selection Test, you'll do the CBAT at RAF Cranwell.

It's currently taking between 4-6 weeks to process applications once submitted and you'll be advised once it has. It will be via your candidate portal, so keep an eye on that.

As has already been stated, your application will progress unless you're found to have a reason for it to be closed down. As long as you meet all of the entry and eligibility criteria you can apply, it's how you do at OASC that will determine whether you get to be a pilot in the RAF.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Hi Adam thanks for your help.

One last question.

If I don't get the role I want due to CBAT scores how long will I have to wait until I can try again?

Also Drewski what do you mean by "And a medical history is either clean or it isn't!"?

Thanks,
Max
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Also Drewski what do you mean by "And a medical history is either clean or it isn't!"?
Either you've got something in your past that will stop you being a pilot, or you haven't.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (9)
8.82%
Disagree (5)
4.9%
Neither agree or disagree (32)
31.37%
Agree (40)
39.22%
Strongly Agree (16)
15.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise