The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Academic Essay

I am writing an essay about the opportunities and risks of brexit to multinational companies.
Im not sure how to find relevant research and filter through so much info to find what i need.Whats the best way of going about researching so that you could find relevant material
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by shaunpollocks
I am writing an essay about the opportunities and risks of brexit to multinational companies.
Im not sure how to find relevant research and filter through so much info to find what i need.Whats the best way of going about researching so that you could find relevant material

Is it an academic essay for a course, or for journalism?
Original post by EssayDoctor
Is it an academic essay for a course, or for journalism?

For a course
For a course

Can you tell me the exact essay question? Then I'll be happy to help
Can you tell me the exact essay question? Then I'll be happy to help

"Evaluate the opportunities and risks to multi-national companies operating in the UK as
a result of Britain’s decision to leave the European Union. In your discussion, you are expected to
examine the impact since the referendum and predictions for the future."
"Evaluate the opportunities and risks to multi-national companies operating in the UK as
a result of Britain’s decision to leave the European Union. In your discussion, you are expected to

That looks like at least three separate questions. Not a problem, but not a very well phrased Q. How many words are you allowed for your essay? (are you undergrad/ post grad / A Level)
That looks like at least three separate questions. Not a problem, but not a very well phrased Q. How many words are you allowed for your essay? (are you undergrad/ post grad / A Level)

im undergrad and the word limit is 1500 words
im undergrad and the word limit is 1500 words

Ok. Tell me if you already know what I'm about to tell you and I'll take it up a level. You need 150 words to outline your interpretation of the question and 150 words to write your conclusion. The conclusion will write itself pretty much. That leaves you 1200 words or six paragraphs of 200 words. Do you have access to JSTOR in your college / Uni library?
Ok. Tell me if you already know what I'm about to tell you and I'll take it up a level. You need 150 words to outline your interpretation of the question and 150 words to write your conclusion. The conclusion will write itself pretty much. That leaves you 1200 words or six paragraphs of 200 words. Do you have access to JSTOR in your college / Uni library?

Yes
Yes

So...

Evaluate - opening paragraph. Specifically multi-nationals - who are these? Define them. Take a strong view - choose your politics. You have 150 words. Make clear they are exemplars (examples.)

Only discuss them and opportunities for them. Swing away who are the good guys / bad guys? Benefits and dangers of Brexit are contingent on unknown Brexit AT THIS POINT.

What are the theoretical risks for them - bear in mind the below. Final Brexit terms are in the air. Keep this point floating through the essay because it is critical.

Decision (Interpretation of referendum by government?) Is currently unknown (one paragraph - middle paragraph of your essay on purpose, nicely pivots first half to second half). It's not your job to guess the outcome. Just underline uncertainty is damaging.

Predictions for the future. This is tough one. Dodge it. This should be the last paragraph before your conclusion, which should summarize everything gone before. My best advice to dodging this one is to write a paragraph briefly describing the most recent parliamentary activity - up to the hour - to illustrate why prediction is unhelpful at his point.

So, JSTOR - how many references do you usually aim for in your bibliography? By the way hope the above helps! Not meant to be a recipe, just food for thought.
So...

Evaluate - opening paragraph. Specifically multi-nationals - who are these? Define them. Take a strong view - choose your politics. You have 150 words. Make clear they are exemplars (examples.)

Only discuss them and opportunities for them. Swing away who are the good guys / bad guys? Benefits and dangers of Brexit are contingent on unknown Brexit AT THIS POINT.

What are the theoretical risks for them - bear in mind the below. Final Brexit terms are in the air. Keep this point floating through the essay because it is critical.

Decision (Interpretation of referendum by government?) Is currently unknown (one paragraph - middle paragraph of your essay on purpose, nicely pivots first half to second half). It's not your job to guess the outcome. Just underline uncertainty is damaging.

Predictions for the future. This is tough one. Dodge it. This should be the last paragraph before your conclusion, which should summarize everything gone before. My best advice to dodging this one is to write a paragraph briefly describing the most recent parliamentary activity - up to the hour - to illustrate why prediction is unhelpful at his point.

So, JSTOR - how many references do you usually aim for in your bibliography? By the way hope the above helps! Not meant to be a recipe, just food for thought.

They didnt specify a number but said to read widely and use good sources so i assume a fair amount of references.This is the first essay of its kind that i am doing so i dont know how many references to include.
This was really very helpful so thank you very much. One last question. In this essay do we write general opportunities and risks to mncs from brexit and use the referenced sources as evidence to support our arguments or do we basically give an analysis of what the sources are saying?
They didnt specify a number but said to read widely and use good sources so i assume a fair amount of references.This is the first essay of its kind that i am doing so i dont know how many references to include.
This was really very helpful so thank you very much. One last question. In this essay do we write general opportunities and risks to mncs from brexit and use the referenced sources as evidence to support our arguments or do we basically give an analysis of what the sources are saying?

Glad if you found it helpful - I was worried I might be getting a bit long-winded! Use the sources to illustrate your interpretation and response to each part of the Q. I'd aim for one source per hundred words, so 18-20 say. You don't have to read them all the way through of course. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest