The Student Room Group

Incorrect teachings in christianity

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear
but the point is that if there is disagreement about anything ( more important than zips & buttons ) then both sides believe that their contradictory views are correct and justified.

yep, and one would be wrong and the other right, or they're both wrong. it's very common in all the different christian sects.
Original post by Leviathan1611
yep, and one would be wrong and the other right, or they're both wrong. it's very common in all the different christian sects.

but they both feel entirely justified. so when you are banging on about homosexuality you could be wrong.
I'm not trying to be the best christian or anything, i just wanted to share this message with fellow believers to understand what it means tp judge biblically. i know there are better christians than me

1) the only music i listen to is hymns and conservative christian music, i may slip up into contemporary christian music sometimes. i don't play violent games with blood and stuff anymore, i deleted them off my laptop, like mortal kombat, gta, first person shooter games, because of the music, i don't really play guitar hero anymore either. if a christian came and told me i need to throw out every video game.

2) the passover was for the nation of Israel, i'm not an israelite.

3) thats not what the Bible says, maybe if you're reading those corrupt modern versions with missing verses. the KJV says not to wear linen mingled with wool. all i will say is this, wool doesn't even go well with linen anyway, so i wouldn't even wear it. furthermore pretty much all my clothes are cotton and polyester and stuff, like most clothing nowadays. i heard from a preacher once that that commandment was 'symbolic', wool being the word of God and linen being mans words and that we shouldn't mix them together, i'm not convinced though.

4) yeah i know, thats why i don't go around telling people what they should wear otherwise i'm a hypocrite.

i think judging is a good thing (when done righteously) that's part of what it means to love your neighbour, it makes us better christians when we are corrected on our wrongs. for example i used to say "damn" a lot, then someone questioned it because it sounds like i'm cursing somebody, the i changed it to dang.

Well, bloody hell, at least you're consistent. My point was to bring up archaic biblical laws that would be ridiculous to follow in the modern day society, but I didn't realise you were one of THOSE Christians.

I mean great that you wanna keep you and your friends in check, but eventually this will turn into a great one-upmanship game where you do absolutely nothing but try to police each others food and clothes, while actually doing nothing for the world around you apart from trying to recruit more people for the cult.

tyou can't say you love your friend and not try to correct them when they're fornicating, smoking and drinking, because what your doing is just letting them get worse and worse to the point that God Himself may just smite your friend and ruin their life.

"And the Lord saw that Stacey was smoking, and saw that it was not good, and smited her so she may never walk again" - No bible verse, ever.

If only God would also smite in equal measure the kiddy fiddling catholic priests, Factory CEO's around the world who don't understand child labour laws and human rights violations, Warlords who plunder and ruin the villages around them, etc.

But no. Your first concern is smoking and drinking and having sex. Because of course it is. Because then you can look around you, then sit smug thinking that you're better than 95% of the population.
but they both feel entirely justified. so when you are banging on about homosexuality you could be wrong.

well the Bible is very clear on that issue, so those opposing are just in denial or they haven't read much of their bible imo. but then again, i'm not going to fight them over it. also not an enormous issue.
Original post by Another

"And the Lord saw that Stacey was smoking, and saw that it was not good, and smited her so she may never walk again" - No bible verse, ever.

smote

:spank:

and the bear spanketh the evildoer
Original post by Another
Well, bloody hell, at least you're consistent. My point was to bring up archaic biblical laws that would be ridiculous to follow in the modern day society, but I didn't realise you were one of THOSE Christians.

I mean great that you wanna keep you and your friends in check, but eventually this will turn into a great one-upmanship game where you do absolutely nothing but try to police each others food and clothes, while actually doing nothing for the world around you apart from trying to recruit more people for the cult.

If only God would also smite in equal measure the kiddy fiddling catholic priests, Factory CEO's around the world who don't understand child labour laws and human rights violations, Warlords who plunder and ruin the villages around them, etc.

But no. Your first concern is smoking and drinking and having sex. Because of course it is. Because then you can look around you, then sit smug thinking that you're better than 95% of the population.

You've assumed my main concern is "smoking and drinking and having sex", i only used them as examples because i think their the most common and the majority of christians would agree that its a sin, also, i dont think anyone would have a friend who molests children do you? so why would i use that as an example?

you've also assumed that i think im better than "95% of the population", that is also incorrect, i didn't make this thread to make myself feel better, i made it to teach fellow believers something they would probably never hear in their church because their Pastor would be too scared to lose church members. i'm not even that great of a christian, i have loads to work on.

well I don't have friends to keep in "check" since none of them are Christian so I don't start telling them to stop reading that weird book because the Bible says so, because they don't even follow the Bible to begin with.

furthermore, you've mistakenly thought that all I would do with my friends (if they were christian) is correct them on every miniscule detail all day, I tell you now, if I had christian friends, the main thing we'd be doing together, is to go out and preach the gospel and win souls to the Lord, because that's one of the most important things a Christian can do (imo)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 46

prsom.:yy:
Who actually cares what’s written in some crappy old book?

except what we're "banging on about" is written in God's word and therefore is infallible.

You act as if, Christians having different opinions on the bible is sign of the bible's contradiction.
Let's be honest and drop the facade, it is sign of your unwillingness to believe in God and the gospel. Stop pretending, its literally 2019 and people have largely rejected God, no one's gonna vilify you
Original post by Seamus123

amazing, it appears you cared enough to form an opinion on it.
Original post by Joleee
Billy Graham was asked if he thought God would hold him to a higher standard because he had all this responsibility - and he said yes, he thought that.

i was raised in the church. i'm a christian. you don't need to get angry.

First off, what Billy Graham thought is what he thought, i'd assume if i was him and a preacher, whose name is well known i'd want to be closer to God because of how public a figure he was. If he was rocked by a massive scandal involving a stripper or sexual assault, a lot of people will (and tbh i would've as well) vilify not just him, his church and the Christian faith for such conduct.

No one's angry, quite frankly you could be an Amish Christian for all i care, i would pay it no mind. I judge someone's faith by their actions not words. Dont even know you person, but your opinions online aren't in sync with God's word so i take it with a bathtub full of salt
that being said, being raised going to a church once a week doesn't make you a Christian, giving your life to Jesus Christ and being born again makes you Christian. Read your bible
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 51
hmmm, i think so. but its not aim in life to just judge everyone to make myself feel better if thats what you thought, the aim is to avoid unrighteous judgment and to edify fellow believers and exhort them to do good works.

well if i'm judging unrighteously, God will judge me as harsh as i'm judging others if that's what your asking.

i don't think that. just wondering.

i have an exam to study for so i don't have time to debate, maybe later. but if you want to see the effectiveness of judging and correcting people in action just search though the debate and current events forum. it doesn't work if you fundamentally disagree in the first place.
Original post by Trapmoneybenny
except what we're "banging on about" is written in God's word and therefore is infallible.

You act as if, Christians having different opinions on the bible is sign of the bible's contradiction.
Let's be honest and drop the facade, it is sign of your unwillingness to believe in God and the gospel. Stop pretending, its literally 2019 and people have largely rejected God, no one's gonna vilify you

another apostrophe apostate

:rolleyes:
Original post by potatina
I wouldn't rely on the Bible for several reasons:
1. It has a lot of contradictions.
2. It has been altered.
3. Mis-translations

If you want to follow Christian teachings... sure, but you are better off with the basics of Christianity and then respecting those rather than nit-picking the Bible. Not because it's a 'bad' text, but because it is more difficult to trust it as it has many versions. That's just my opinion.
This is particularly true of the Authorized Version, which was done to push King James' agenda.

In my experience: religious fundamentalists/hardliners, religious zealots trying to convert others, religious reformers, militant atheists, historians,
theologians and theology/religious studies students.
Oh- I almost forgot Henry VIII. :biggrin:
Original post by londonmyst
In my experience: religious fundamentalists/hardliners, religious zealots trying to convert others, religious reformers, militant atheists, historians,
theologians and theology/religious studies students.
Oh- I almost forgot Henry VIII. :biggrin:

And people who need a crutch to lean on to help them lead a decent life, because they can’t manage it on their own so they need a book of fairy tales to help them along,
And people who need a crutch to lean on to help them lead a decent life, because they can’t manage it on their own so they need a book of fairy tales to help them along,

None of the ones I've met were looking for either a crutch or a decent life.
Their priority was to abuse religion by adopting it as their own personal weapon; either by verbally imposing their interpretation of the preferred book of scripture or battering other people with the book.
If the bible was involved, literally bible bashing.

Those who preferred other religions, doing the same thing with their respective books of scripture.
I knew a girl who divided up her time three ways: preaching scientology to potential converts, bulk reporting against fellow scientologists she considered insufficiently devout and walloping other scientologists who were more a lot more liberal than her on the head with copies of the Dianetics book.
She beat one of my ex's friends unconscious with a room full of people watching, then acted outraged at being told she had committed a crime.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending