Can someone teach me about BREXIT? Watch

ilirianalleshi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I feel so ashamed because I’m living in the UK and I don’t really know what consequences there are about leaving the EU. All I know is that if we leave the EU, it’ll be really bad for our economy.

Can someone please educate me about Brexit?

Thanks
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by ilirianalleshi; 1 month ago
ecolier
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ilirianalleshi)
I feel so ashamed because I’m living in the UK and I don’t really know what consequences about leaving the EU that there are. All I know is that if we leave the EU, it’ll be bad for our economy.

Thanks
No, because no one actually know what it is.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I feel so ashamed because I’m living in the UK and I don’t really know what consequences there are about leaving the EU. All I know is that if we leave the EU, it’ll be really bad for our economy.

Thanks
It's best to try and research both sides of the argument and form your own opinion because asking on a forum like this will only get you extreme versions from both sides.

What I will say though is that there's a strong argument that the economy will not suffer that much short term and would indeed end up in a much better state, that is my belief after considering the possible outcomes but as with everything else is totally subjective, there are also other issues alongside the economy like political clarity, sovereignty etc.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
What I will say though is that there's a strong argument that the economy will not suffer that much short term and would indeed end up in a much better state, that is my belief after considering the possible outcomes but as with everything else is totally subjective, there are also other issues alongside the economy like political clarity, sovereignty etc.
And for a bit of balance, there is also strong evidence that the economy will be hit quite hard in the short term but after a few years, we might get back to where we started. That is my belief after considering the possible outcomes but as with everything else is totally subjective.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
And for a bit of balance, there is also strong evidence that the economy will be hit quite hard in the short term but after a few years, we might get back to where we started. That is my belief after considering the possible outcomes but as with everything else is totally subjective.
Exactly, which is why it's better to research the subject yourself rather than ask for opinions on here.
ilirianalleshi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
To be honest, I wanted subjective opinions. I’ve researched about Brexit however it is so confusing- that’s why I would like your personal opinions and views.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
To be honest, I wanted subjective opinions. I’ve researched about Brexit however it is so confusing- that’s why I would like your personal opinions and views.
Its all kind of irrelevant now. All this tooing and frowing by the government, parliament et al should have been two years ago. They we would have had a position to take to the EU and negotiate. I fear that all those who have called for a change so that Britain can be great once again are going to be in for a very disappointing time. The strategy and conduct of our leaders has been a shambles. Britain looks ridiculous from the outside right now. Strong and stable? My @rse. We have May who is defiantly stubborn and Corbyn - don't get me started about Corybn. He has shown absolutely no leadership whatsoever. He just wants a general election so that he can become PM. The fallout that would create is irrelevant.

Brexit has bought out the very worst in people, the press and politicians. How anyone can see it as making Britain great again is beyond me. It has torn us apart. You are never great if you are shattered and fragmented as we are now.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Its all kind of irrelevant now. All this tooing and frowing by the government, parliament et al should have been two years ago. They we would have had a position to take to the EU and negotiate. I fear that all those who have called for a change so that Britain can be great once again are going to be in for a very disappointing time. The strategy and conduct of our leaders has been a shambles. Britain looks ridiculous from the outside right now. Strong and stable? My @rse. We have May who is defiantly stubborn and Corbyn - don't get me started about Corybn. He has shown absolutely no leadership whatsoever. He just wants a general election so that he can become PM. The fallout that would create is irrelevant.

Brexit has bought out the very worst in people, the press and politicians. How anyone can see it as making Britain great again is beyond me. It has torn us apart. You are never great if you are shattered and fragmented as we are now.
I can agree with a lot of what you say in the first paragraph, parliament as a whole has behaved terribly from day 1 of the process, that is what has left us with the very real prospect of a no deal brexit.
As far as the rest of what you say goes then the crazy thing is that you and I could well agree on 95% of political matters but this one seems to be too devisive, personally I'm not bothered how anyone voted as it is our right to do so, the problem is that some simply cannot respect the result.
thestudent33
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
No, because no one actually know what it is.
:yes::iiam:
thestudent33
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Basically it's a way of making the United Kingdom independent. However I personally think it's a terrible idea and I'm hoping we remain
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Quite the opppsite I think actually. I take quite a Hegelian view of this.

For too long there there has been a consensus in our political establishment which has been a political and moral disaster and lead to where we are today where people are waking up, taking an interest and more importantly taking a side and value integrity over corruption and compromisation.

’tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society’ - Aristotle
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
the problem is that some simply cannot respect the result.
I think this may well be because an exceedingly complex issue was dealt with by using a simple yes / no answer. I voted remain but would have supported May's deal. Yet now we are in a position where either was have a deal like Norway+ which is what we currently have but not quite or another referendum. Bonkers.

Even die hard Brexiteers are starting to realise that a hard Brexit is seriously bad for the country.
Last edited by ByEeek; 4 weeks ago
Kater Murr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's supposed to be a natural method that's as effective as using a condom, but if you ask me it's risky.
Jammyjogo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
For a brief up to date summary (as of the time of posting) watch this video: https://youtu.be/GObmM7kkiyM
pleasehelpA2
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Problem here is it won’t necessarily be really bad for the economy, short term definitely but the long term effects are debatable… I personally think long term it probably won’t be too bad but it depends on who you talk to… so far no one really knows the consequences, so my advice would be to just keep up with the news and see how it all pans out ☺️
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Davij038)
For too long there there has been a consensus in our political establishment which has been a political and moral disaster and lead to where we are today where people are waking up, taking an interest and more importantly taking a side and value integrity over corruption and compromisation.
Yes, people have woken up. But I don't think they know why they are disillusioned and certainly don't know what they want. They want change but don't know what that change looks like. So what we are going to end up with is massive upheaval that will result in the rich continuing to be rich and the poor continuing to be poor. Nothing will change. There will be no radical social change. It will just be a whole lot of hot air. Meanwhile the soma has run out and most will feel aggrivated. I'll take the soma thanks.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
once upon a time there was a special club in a village. all the local children wanted to join the club and have lots of fun. every week they had to pay five shillings.

after a while one of the boys said he was going to make his own club because he wanted to spend five shillings on sweets. the other children said that is fine but you cannot use our ping pong table or have orange squash with us.

the boy was very upset and ate all his sweets at once. he was never the same again and had to wear special shoes.

the end.
stoyfan
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Thanks
Brexit is brexit
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by the bear)
the boy was very upset and ate all his sweets at once. he was never the same again and had to wear special shoes.

the end.
Not quite. The boy had all his sweets stolen off him by bullies but his old friends did not help because they were all having fun in the club.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Thanks
It won't be really bad for economy

Brexit is about more than eocnomics. It's about what you want Britain to be. Britain can be part of a superstate where the supreme government is abroad and full of foreigners. That's what remaining is. Britain can be run by the supreme government in Westminster. That's what Brexit is. Brexit is a question of power
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (97)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (71)
10.87%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.45%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (18)
2.76%
No (451)
69.07%

Watched Threads