The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Diversity

I got an offer to go to Reading and I just wanted to know if there are many black people on site? I ask this because if I do decide to go there I don’t want to feel like a minority.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Owofolaju
I got an offer to go to Reading and I just wanted to know if there are many black people on site? I ask this because if I do decide to go there I don’t want to feel like a minority.

Hi,

It is great to hear you have recieved an offer from the University of Reading, at Reading we have a large diverse student population, made up of 19,000 students from around 150 different countries. And from my perspective I have found it a diverse university to study at.
Given your concerns, I would personally suggest you come along to one of our upcoming visit days if you can, these will allow you to experience our University and see if you would feel like this way. In addition to this, given I am unsure of other students experiences, I would like to direct your towards our elected BME officer (see link below), do contact her as she will be happy to answer any questions you may have also.

https://www.rusu.co.uk/representation/part-time-officers/bme/

Finally, we also have a number of cultural socieities who's aim it is to empower different groups, through networking, social and academic events and ensure people do not feel like a minority. These can be found on the link below.

https://www.rusu.co.uk/activities/#SearchClubs

I hope this helps, do let me know if you have any further questions

Tom :smile:
Final Year Psychology Student and Student Ambassdor
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2

Hey, there are definitely black people here both International and home students, but you may be the only black person in your class,depending on what course you’re taking. the environment is pretty chill and friendly, depending on who is in your classes or course. There is also the Afro-Caribbean society or the Nigerian one, personally, I didn’t join because I’dalready signed up for other societies.I wish you the best of luck in your decisions

Reading is a pretty diverse place - the town and the Uni.

Although I guess its not as culturally diverse at nearby London, you won't feel like a minority
Reply 4

I'm a first year at Reading and honestly, when you come to Reading you can join the ACS Society and there's a lot of diversity at Reading. There's a fair amount of motives at uni through the ACS Society and as an Ethnic minority I assure you that you won't feel left out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending