Withdrawn from course Watch

Ruex
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi

I am a student that went through clearance and due to missing induction week I had a late start and had a lot to catch up on. As a nursing student, we have to sort out DBS forms etc before a certain date and I didn’t know. Placement has started and I’m still waiting for all that. Today, I received a letter from the university saying I have been withdrawn. Anyone help me on what to do. I hope speaking to them will help since I am going in on Monday. Any advice cause I really want to stay in this course
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ruex)
Hi

I am a student that went through clearance and due to missing induction week I had a late start and had a lot to catch up on. As a nursing student, we have to sort out DBS forms etc before a certain date and I didn’t know. Placement has started and I’m still waiting for all that. Today, I received a letter from the university saying I have been withdrawn. Anyone help me on what to do. I hope speaking to them will help since I am going in on Monday. Any advice cause I really want to stay in this course
you won't know unless until you speak to them, perhaps ask they ll consider letting you start with the next intake
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ruex)
Hi

Did you start in January?

I think claiming about missing induction and not to have caught up by now seems weak.

All nursing students have to have a DBS and it is puzzling why you didn't realise this and start the process from the beginning. This is made clear to all nursing , teaching, social work students.

It is unclear but it looks like they let you start, but you still have not sorted out DBS. You fail to mention the specific reason for withdrawal. I am guessing but if it is to do with DBS, then it looks ike they have given you sufficient time and you have not sorted it out. You simply do not give the reason. In that case they cant let you continue on placement and they have no choice but to withdraw you. If you give the reasons as for your withdrawal then people can offer advice.

I need more information as to reason for withdrawal and the state of your DBS?
Ruex
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Did you start in January?

I think claiming about missing induction and not to have caught up by now seems weak.

All nursing students have to have a DBS and it is puzzling why you didn't realise this and start the process from the beginning. This is made clear to all nursing , teaching, social work students.

It is unclear but it looks like they let you start, but you still have not sorted out DBS. You fail to mention the specific reason for withdrawal. I am guessing but if it is to do with DBS, then it looks ike they have given you sufficient time and you have not sorted it out. You simply do not give the reason. In that case they cant let you continue on placement and they have no choice but to withdraw you. If you give the reasons as for your withdrawal then people can offer advice.

I need more information as to reason for withdrawal and the state of your DBS?
Hi

Thank you very much for your reply. No, I started in October. The reasons for withdrawal was to do with my DBS, health clearance and good conduct certificate not being completed in time for placement. I completed them before the date stated however the process is taking long. Placement has started already and I am willing to make up for the time lost waiting. I just wanted to know if there’s anything I can do by speaking with them to let me back in if that’s possible.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ruex)
Hi

Thank you very much for your reply. No, I started in October. The reasons for withdrawal was to do with my DBS, health clearance and good conduct certificate not being completed in time for placement. I completed them before the date stated however the process is taking long. Placement has started already and I am willing to make up for the time lost waiting. I just wanted to know if there’s anything I can do by speaking with them to let me back in if that’s possible.
So when did you accept the place on the course?

It started on October?

When did placement start?

Why hasnt your DBS come through?

What was their deadline?

A DBS could take from 2-6 weeks. You are now c 16 weeks? Why hasnt it been sorted?
Ruex
Rep:
?
Yes I started in October. That’s when I got accepted. Placement started on the 7th of January and the deadline for the documents to be sent off was 1st of January of which most of us were still waiting for ours as I sent mine off around Christmas time.

I’m just wondering if I do speak with her, have all the proof with me that I sent them off before the deadline is there a chance that I’ll be taken back on the course.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ruex)
Yes I started in October. That’s when I got accepted. Placement started on the 7th of January and the deadline for the documents to be sent off was 1st of January of which most of us were still waiting for ours as I sent mine off around Christmas time.

I’m just wondering if I do speak with her, have all the proof with me that I sent them off before the deadline is there a chance that I’ll be taken back on the course.
Tbh that is shocking.

You will have known you needed DBS for many months.

Are you sure the deadline was for documents to be sent rather than the DBS to be returned by? The latter would make more sense as they would want DBS in place before the time of starting a placement.

Nothing to lose by speaking to them. If the deadline was to make the application by the date, then you have proof.

If it was to have the DBS returned by, then you are in a weak position. The latter is the only one that makes sense to me.
Ruex
Rep:
?
Yes it was mentioned that 1st of January. I’ll go and speak with her and see how it turns out. Will give an update but thank you so much.

I hope they’ll take me back in
StriderHort
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You can certainly try pleading your case, but I have a nasty feeling if they think it's serious enough to withdraw you then it was a serious deadline and the forms weren't in. Easy for me to say now, but if it was me i'd have been sending this stuff off October/as soon as I knew there would be a placement, waiting till christmas/new year to try getting the admin sorted sounds dangerous to say the least

I'm horticulture, not nursing, so my placements are less regulated, but they're v firm on the paperwork, if it's not in by placement day you can't go, and if you can't go you fail the course, i've seen maybe 5 students in my classes kicked off for this :/
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Was this 1st Jan deadline supposed to be for when the forms needed to be in, or when you needed the clearance completed by?

As has already been mentioned, it's no secret that student nurses need DBS and occy health clearance prior to going out on placement, you've had lots of time to get it all submitted by. No one here will be able to tell you if your uni will let you back on the course if you get clearance back and are permitted to make the time up, it's the uni's decision. All you can do is try talking to them, if going back into the cohort you're in isn't possible, then ask if you can join the next cohort that starts.
Ruex
Rep:
?
Thank you all so much for the replies. As you’ve all mentioned, I have not met the deadline however all I can do now is to plead my case and I’m hoping to make up for the time I have missed for placement hours during my spare time.

Thank you

Will definitely give an update after the meeting
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.5%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.37%