The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys!From: London
Course: Actuarial Science
Predictions: A*,A*,A* (maths, fm, spanish)
Halls: No halls for me :frown:. I wish I had applied for halls.
(edited 5 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by HopeIgetIn:)
Hey guys!From: London
Course: Actuarial Science
Predictions: A*,A*,A* (maths, fm, spanish)
Halls: No halls for me :frown:. I wish I had applied for halls.

Halls applications haven't closed yet - they've only just opened. There's plenty of time to apply for halls if you want to:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/student-life/accommodation/apply
Original post by LeapingLucy
Halls applications haven't closed yet - they've only just opened. There's plenty of time to apply for halls if you want to:

http://www.lse.ac.uk/student-life/accommodation/apply

Can I still apply for halls even if I put “study at home” on my application? I’ve changed my mind about living at home
Can I still apply for halls even if I put “study at home” on my application? I’ve changed my mind about living at home

Yes. Just make an application through Hallpad - it's absolutely fine to change your mind.

That bit on UCAS is just so universities know whether or not to send you information about halls - it's not binding.
Yes. Just make an application through Hallpad - it's absolutely fine to change your mind.

That bit on UCAS is just so universities know whether or not to send you information about halls - it's not binding.

Ahh right thank you very much :smile:
Original post by Obilaire
Hi Lucy, between the LSE halls, which one is the best? I really like the location the Bankside and the fact that one gets to walk across the Thames every day. But the price as well

Do you have anything to say on the LSE halls?

There's no one best hall - it just really depends on your priorities.

Passfield and Carr-Saunders are a lot cheaper, but you have to move all your stuff out at Easter and Christmas - if you live a long way away from London then that's not very convenient.

If you need to stay in London over the holidays, LSE will offer you a room at another hall BUT you will have to pay at least £200 a week for it and move all your stuff there.
Reply 46
@LeapingLucy What's your experience with Roseberry? Is it a good hall socially? I think it offers 38 week contracts as well?
(edited 5 years ago)
There's no one best hall - it just really depends on your priorities.

Passfield and Carr-Saunders are a lot cheaper, but you have to move all your stuff out at Easter and Christmas - if you live a long way away from London then that's not very convenient.

If you need to stay in London over the holidays, LSE will offer you a room at another hall BUT you will have to pay at least £200 a week for it and move all your stuff there.

Well I am an int’l student, and I really do not intend to move away from London over the summer in the first year is Bankside viable economically ? I really like its location.
Hey @LeapingLucy do you know whether jobs are available for undergraduates? Like working at the cafeteria or something as part of LSE?
Hey @LeapingLucy do you know whether jobs are available for undergraduates? Like working at the cafeteria or something as part of LSE?

Yes! I know several people who work in the book shop & merchandise shop on campus. Other jobs include being a receptionist in LSE careers and giving tours of the campus to prospective students.

These jobs are quite popular and therefore competitive, but if you apply to several you'll probably get something.

There's some more info here:
https://info.lse.ac.uk/current-students/careers/resources/internships-and-work-experience/part-time-work

You can also take part in behavioural research studies within the psychology department for extra cash...
Original post by Obilaire
Well I am an int’l student, and I really do not intend to move away from London over the summer in the first year is Bankside viable economically ? I really like its location.

Unfortunately, whichever LSE hall you're in will not cover the summer after first year. All LSE halls contracts end around the 15th June, including Bankside.

If you want a longer halls contract that includes the summer (i.e. 50 weeks), you'll probably need to look into private halls like Urbanest.
Original post by m0209
why would you choose garden halls over urbanest? i'm so stuck bc i'm definitely not a going-out/social person and i prefer the vibe of garden halls, but i'm worried about the intercollegiate aspect of it and making friends.

I just get the impression that being in Urbanest can be a bit isolating, whereas at Garden Halls you would feel more part of a community of students (albeit UoL rather than LSE students). That's just a subjective judgement though - I have no hard evidence to base it on.
Original post by JR5559
@LeapingLucy What's your experience with Roseberry? Is it a good hall socially? I think it offers 38 week contracts as well?

I've visited a few times and it looks really pretty - one advantage over Passfield is that it's a new build so better insulation (double-glazed windows) and not as cold in the winter!

Everyone I know who lived there last year really enjoyed it - I think it's a great hall in terms of social life, and it has the advantage of the option of 38 week contracts if you don't want to haul all your stuff home at Easter and Christmas.

(I don't think you can work in the cafeteria though as those jobs are held by catering staff)
Reply 54
Course: Mathematics and economics
Predicted: A*AAA in maths, further maths, economics and computer science
Halls: I have no idea
Course: BSc Politics and Economics
Predicted: A*A*A* (Maths, Economics, Chemistry)
Halls: not a clue mate, but with my budget I’d be lucky to end up on a bloody houseboat.
Original post by ss_at22
Course: BSc Politics and Economics
Predicted: A*A*A* (Maths, Economics, Chemistry)
Halls: not a clue mate, but with my budget I’d be lucky to end up on a bloody houseboat.

If you need to keep the costs down, your best option is probably to get a shared room in Passfield or Carr-Saunders.

The cheapest single room possible will be a non-ensuite on a 30 week contract (so you have to move out at Christmas and Easter so they can rent your room to tourists). That will cost you around £6000 at Passfield/Carr-Saunders.

If you're willing to share with one other person, it will cost about £4000.

If you're willing to share with two other people, it will cost about £3000.
@LeapingLucy If I apply for accommodation and don’t get the one I want, can I reject all other accommodation? Or am I forced to pick one?

(I live in London as well so the “no accommodation” option doesn’t mean I won’t have anywhere to stay)
(edited 5 years ago)
@LeapingLucy If I apply for accommodation and don’t get the one I want, can I reject all other accommodation? Or am I forced to pick one?

(I live in London as well so the “no accommodation” option doesn’t mean I won’t have anywhere to stay)

When you receive an offer of accommodation, you have 24 hours to choose whether to accept or reject it.

You're perfectly free to reject it, but if you do LSE have no obligation to make you another offer. You would just have to see what was left over at the end, if you still wanted to live in halls.
Reply 59
I’m still waiting on two offers, so I’m not 100% sure I’m going to firm LSE, but most likely will. If I apply in say April once I’ve found out, will I miss out on the good halls? Do they fill up that quickly???

Latest

Trending

Trending