The Student Room Group

Help With an decision

Hey TSR!

I got an offer for CompSci for Southampton and Warwick.

Warwick is better overall, but Southampton is better for CompSci. Which one to choose? I am so confused...
Original post by TasteDaBomb
Hey TSR!

Warwick is better overall, but Southampton is better for CompSci. Which one to choose? I am so confused...

This is what Applicant Days are for...so you can visit the Unis you have shortlisted and see them in a less hectic environment than is normally the case at Open Days.

They are both great Unis so have a look at the campus, facilities, employment prospects, accomodation, town etc and see which seems better for you (regardless of league tables)
Hey TSR!

have you visited them? if so what did you think as you'll be living there for 3 years.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
have you visited them? if so what did you think as you'll be living there for 3 years.

Original post by harrysbar
This is what Applicant Days are for...so you can visit the Unis you have shortlisted and see them in a less hectic environment than is normally the case at Open Days.

They are both great Unis so have a look at the campus, facilities, employment prospects, accomodation, town etc and see which seems better for you (regardless of league tables)

You are both right, but I live in Romania, I am an EU applicant, so it is harder for me to go there. I do 4h durring flight =))
You are both right, but I live in Romania, I am an EU applicant, so it is harder for me to go there. I do 4h durring flight =))

That is a bit of a problem...

No one can really tell you the answer to your question because it's not clear cut - whether you value overall prestige (Warwick) over the quality of one particular course (Southampton) is something only you can decide.

There is no pressure to make a decision quickly so take your time so maybe have a good look at the individual modules and email the departments to ask some questions about destinations, etc.

Were both offers unconditional or is one harder to achieve than the other?
Reply 5
Hey TSR!

Congratulations! Sounds like you'd do fine either way. Perhaps check the different boards to see what people who did they courses thought about them?
Reply 6
That is a bit of a problem...

No one can really tell you the answer to your question because it's not clear cut - whether you value overall prestige (Warwick) over the quality of one particular course (Southampton) is something only you can decide.

There is no pressure to make a decision quickly so take your time so maybe have a good look at the individual modules and email the departments to ask some questions about destinations, etc.

Were both offers unconditional or is one harder to achieve than the other?

Both conditional: Southampton 9/10 overall with 9.5 at least for Maths, Warwick 9.5 overall with 9.5 at all tested samples (Romanian literature, Maths and compSci). For me, Warwick for compSci looks stronger, but I do not know what to belive. How is Warwick course compared to Cambridge for instance (i got rejectet there after the inteview - but I was at one step away from getting an offer, if I take into consideration their feedback)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
Congratulations! Sounds like you'd do fine either way. Perhaps check the different boards to see what people who did they courses thought about them?

I will, Thank you a lot
Both conditional: Southampton 9/10 overall with 9.5 at least for Maths, Warwick 9.5 overall with 9.5 at all tested samples (Romanian literature, Maths and compSci). For me, Warwick for compSci loks stronger, but I do not know what to belive. How is Warwick course compared to Cambridge for instance (i got rejectet there after the inteview - but I was at one step away from getting an offer, if I take into consideration their feedback)

So their offers aren't that different really.

As said before, the decision is up to you but I would say that more Cambridge applicants would have Warwick as their second choice than Southampton. I can't tell you how the Warwick course compares to Cambridge but it is is an extremely highly regarded Uni and a strong department.
Have a look at youtube videos made by students to get a feel of the places. Whichever you choose you will be fine. Dont go on reputation. Go on where you will be happiest. Overseas students tend to be influenced by reputation but any of the top 20-25 universities are of broadly similar standard

As said before, the decision is up to you but I would say that more Cambridge applicants would have Warwick as their second choice than Southampton. I can't tell you how the Warwick course compares to Cambridge but it is is an extremely highly regarded Uni and a strong department.

Thank you for the help. I will consider Warwick as a firm choice. To be honest, now I remember why I applied to Warwick. Not being sure if I get an rejection or an acceptance from Cambridge, I have chosen Warwick from the same reason: Second choice after Cambridge.
Original post by swanseajack1
Have a look at youtube videos made by students to get a feel of the places. Whichever you choose you will be fine. Dont go on reputation. Go on where you will be happiest. Overseas students tend to be influenced by reputation but any of the top 20-25 universities are of broadly similar standard

Thank you. never thought at that!
Although so simple! =))

Sory, but you are wrong. It is a great differences between those grades. I know the subjects and how they are seen and it is a biiiigggg difference.
Sory, but you are wrong. It is a great differences between those grades. I know the subjects and how they are seen and it is a biiiigggg difference.

Oh right. So that would be a factor in Southampton's favour, that they have made you a much easier offer?

Or you are very confident about achieving the higher grades requested by Warwick?
Oh right. So that would be a factor in Southampton's favour, that they have made you a much easier offer?

Or you are very confident about achieving the higher grades requested by Warwick?

The grade is easy to achive for me. So I think at Warwick as a firm choiche. I was at Southampton for that infromal interview and I did not enjoyed the people. I mean the university is great, but the students were very cold and "looking for their own". I could not speak somethings with them. Also I felt that they are frustrated that Oxbridge "steal" the good students and they are left with nothing?
The grade is easy to achive for me. So I think at Warwick as a firm choiche. I was at Southampton for that infromal interview and I did not enjoyed the people. I mean the university is great, but the students were very cold and "looking for their own". I could not speak somethings with them. Also I felt that they are frustrated that Oxbridge "steal" the good students and they are left with nothing?

So it sounds like you have made your decision and Warwick it is :smile:
So it sounds like you have made your decision and Warwick it is :smile:

yeah, but I can pass that thing if it is a good uni...
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest