revisionboi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone

As a bit of background information, I am a year 13 student who has applied to study chemical engineering at university. After being rejected from Cambridge, I have been further researching my other university choices and I have found fairly mixed opinions and statistics on some of the courses depending on where I look! I'm considering applying to Oxbridge for my masters and I am also really keen to do research in the environmental/humanitarian sector of chemical engineering once I have completed the masters degree!

My offers are:

University of Bath - A*AA
University of Birmingham - A*AA/AAAA
Lancaster University - Unconditional + scholarship
University of Nottingham - Unconditional

Of course I will be attending the offer holder days for the universities I have yet to visit (Bath and Birmingham) where I will be able to better make my own judgements but I would really appreciate any opinions or insight into any of the courses in terms of factors such as the quality of the degree course and its reputation/employability (baring in mind my future aspirations )

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!!!
briteeshbro
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by revisionboi)
Hi everyone

As a bit of background information, I am a year 13 student who has applied to study chemical engineering at university. After being rejected from Cambridge, I have been further researching my other university choices and I have found fairly mixed opinions and statistics on some of the courses depending on where I look! I'm considering applying to Oxbridge for my masters and I am also really keen to do research in the environmental/humanitarian sector of chemical engineering once I have completed the masters degree!

My offers are:

Of course I will be attending the offer holder days for the universities I have yet to visit (Bath and Birmingham) where I will be able to better make my own judgements but I would really appreciate any opinions or insight into any of the courses in terms of factors such as the quality of the degree course and its reputation/employability (baring in mind my future aspirations )

So where did you end up going, and why?
revisionboi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by briteeshbro)
So where did you end up going, and why?
Hi, I ended up going to the University of Bath and I am now in my second year. I chose Bath because I preferred the course structure and the area compared to the other unis personally and Bath is fantastic for placement years in engineering, which was also a priority of mine when deciding where to go.

All the other unis I got offers from also seem fantastic for chemical engineering from what I can see, at the end of the day it's key to know what your priorities are to make the right decision for you.
avacados1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I ended up going to the University of Bath and I am now in my second year. I chose Bath because I preferred the course structure and the area compared to the other unis personally and Bath is fantastic for placement years in engineering, which was also a priority of mine when deciding where to go.

All the other unis I got offers from also seem fantastic for chemical engineering from what I can see, at the end of the day it's key to know what your priorities are to make the right decision for you.
How has the course been so far?
revisionboi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by avacados1)
How has the course been so far?
Great thank you, I really like the structure of the course at Bath (it has a really good mix of coursework and exams and various different teaching styles which is great imo) and I have found the degree super interesting.

The only negative I can think of is that the department isn't always the best in terms of lecturing and organisation (although there are of course some fantastic lecturers here as well, like in all universities really it's a mixed bag), but I can't complain too much as still I managed to get a first in year 1 and have thoroughly enjoyed the degree and the university as a whole so far. I have also been applying for placements this year which has been exciting as well.
avacados1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Great thank you, I really like the structure of the course at Bath (it has a really good mix of coursework and exams and various different teaching styles which is great imo) and I have found the degree super interesting.

The only negative I can think of is that the department isn't always the best in terms of lecturing and organisation (although there are of course some fantastic lecturers here as well, like in all universities really it's a mixed bag), but I can't complain too much as still I managed to get a first in year 1 and have thoroughly enjoyed the degree and the university as a whole so far. I have also been applying for placements this year which has been exciting as well.
Nice to hear you are enjoying it and congrats on the first! I absolutely love the vibe of Bath so I have applied there. The placement option is defo a bonus as well. I have heard of lecturing issues at some of the other unis I have applied to as well but hopefully its not too much of an issue.
Booth993
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi everyone

My offers are:

I would really recommend Nottingham not least for the facilities there - just awesome and way beyond others and I think their capacity for in-person teaching is much stronger because of the impressive physical space and number of labs they have. Certainly ambitious in terms of the project work they can offer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads