Living In halls at 28! Watch

KiraOT
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
What are people’s thoughts on living in halls at this age? Do you think I could be placed with people of a similar age group?
I’m going to UWE and hoping to live on the Glenside Campus.
What are other people’s experiences?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
malcolmmarecki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by KiraOT)
What are people’s thoughts on living in halls at this age? Do you think I could be placed with people of a similar age group?
When i was 18 and went into halls we had 1 guy in a similar situation to you in the block next to me. He was 27 but it didnt really matter because he was decent guy everyone liked him. He was still into clubbing and everything freshers do.

So if u want to go on loads of nights out, and meet 18/19 yo's who are gunna be drunk the whole of first year itll be fine. If you want a quieter environment with decent levels of hygeine you could ask to live in post-grad block or private housing etc. maybe ring the accomodation department and ask...

I don't nor have ever gone to UWE so this is my experience at other Unis
Last edited by malcolmmarecki; 4 weeks ago
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You could ask if you could be placed in a postgraduate hall or section - that's probably the most likely way to be with others of a similar age.
OBaIMA
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm so glad somebody made this thread, I'm in exactly the same situation.

I'm 26 and I will be applying for uni in 2020 and I'm thinking the same thing. In my opinion, I don't think 28 is too old to be living with younger uni students and I think socially it will be totally fine but I appreciate sleep a lot more now than I did at 18 and I'm undecided about whether halls is a good idea!

I'd love to hear feedback from mature students living in halls across the country.
Last edited by OBaIMA; 4 weeks ago
tesconyc
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think it's a bit creepy. your 28 you should have some money and some friends to live in a house it's cheaper too.
CollectiveSoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by KiraOT)
you shouldnt be in catered halls and its debateable even to be in self catered flats-style halls.

you will get on with people superficially but find yourself mainly on your own
Gunners89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was wondering the same too. I have applied to start in September and have had some offers back already. But I will be 30 by then. Wasn't sure whether they would keep an area specifically for mature students to live?
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by tesconyc)
I think it's a bit creepy. your 28 you should have some money and some friends to live in a house it's cheaper too.
How judgemental... I'm sure they do have friends, just not people they already know who are in the same position of wanting to start a degree - possibly in a new city.

I agree with LeapingLucy about asking the Uni if you could be housed with postgrads or other mature students.
Molseh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm going this year at 29 and living in halls, regardless of with post grads won't be my cup of tea. I will be looking at private renting of a normal flat or if available a student studio flat type deal with bills included.
KiraOT
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
How judgemental... I'm sure they do have friends, just not people they already know who are in the same position of wanting to start a degree - possibly in a new city.

I agree with LeapingLucy about asking the Uni if you could be housed with postgrads or other mature students.
I agree. I felt very judged!
I’m going to call the university today and see what the options are for it. Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (73)
7.82%
I used to but I don't now (26)
2.79%