is it possible to get work experience for chemical engineering? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm really interested in studying chemical engineering at uni, however for some reason I can't find any info on work experience.... its all aimed for people at uni or graduates... does anyone have any advice or help regarding this if anyone has got into uni? where did you have your work experience and how long/much did you do? thanks!
artful_lounger
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Work experience isn't required to apply to engineering at uni, and it's debatable how helpful it even is (other than perhaps if you realise you definitely don't want to do that, or if you're unsure and decide it is what you want to do).

Any work experience in the engineering sector would be suitable to apply to chemical engineering, as it will give you a general idea of what engineers actually do - the specific technical details will be different in chemical engineering but since you don't know vector calculus or how to solve partial differential equations that doesn't make any difference for you. Since there are a wide range of engineering companies active across the country, there is likely to be something nearby you could at least enquire into.

Something in e.g. water engineering, energy generally (not just oil and gas) or food process engineering would be very relevant and likely to have some representation near you - all major employers of chemical engineers, and certainly the first two are pretty widespread across the country (since everywhere has plumbing and electricity). If you contact nearby regional companies directly to enquire they may be able to advise on what they (or perhaps other companies they work with) can offer.

Smack might be able to suggest more I haven't thought of or expand on the above.
Smack
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm really interested in studying chemical engineering at uni, however for some reason I can't find any info on work experience.... its all aimed for people at uni or graduates... does anyone have any advice or help regarding this if anyone has got into uni? where did you have your work experience and how long/much did you do? thanks!
As artful_lounger says work experience isn't required to get into chemical engineering, and very few companies have any formal work experience programmes for those who aren't at university yet. You could contact local engineering and manufacturing companies to see if they can offer anything, but if nothing comes from it I wouldn't be that bothered. Hardly anyone will have experience before they enrol on an engineering degree and it's not really something that admissions tutors look for in those applying directly from school/college.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (44)
12.32%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
10.92%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
3.08%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.52%
No (254)
71.15%

Watched Threads